Exercise = Healthier Skin?

Options
So I started going to the gym again maybe three weeks ago and I've been dutifully going 3-4 times a week. Since I started to get back into cardio (and sweating up a storm), I've noticed a remarkable improvement in my skin! It's way softer, smoother, and seems to have regained some of its former elasticity. It's almost as if I'm moisturizing myself from the inside out. Has anyone else noticed this phenomenon? Is there some kind of reverse osmosis at play here?

Replies

• significance
    significance Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    I've noticed my skin is better when I'm sweating some of the time, whether because of exercise or warmer weather.
  • indigoangel86
    Options
    Mine has improved too! I used to have lots of tiny bumps on my upper arms and they are virtually gone and my face glows. I love exercise! Lol
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    Skin is the largest and one of the most dynamic organs in the body. Exercise is good for your whole body and your skin is no exception!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Mine's way better with exercise and drinking lots of water. I hardly ever wear foundation or use a cover stick anymore.

Thirty nine years old and I'm JUST NOW getting rid of the pimples! :laugh:
  • tammyr76
    tammyr76 Posts: 174
    Options
    Yea,,I have noticed it,,and so has my husband,,he said I felt smoother the other day....I used to have to moisturize 3-4 daily now only at night before bed....
  • Nikstergirl
    Nikstergirl Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options
    Between all the exercise I'm getting and the water I'm drinking (and the crap I'm NOT eating) my skin has NEVER looked or felt better!!! Even my elbows aren't dry and dusty... it's absolutely amazing! Even without makeup my face looks great! I seriously think I could just about give up makeup, but I like to cover up the little redness I get on my nose/chin... using very little now!

Who knew????
  • megansprague
    Options
    So I started going to the gym again maybe three weeks ago and I've been dutifully going 3-4 times a week. Since I started to get back into cardio (and sweating up a storm), I've noticed a remarkable improvement in my skin! It's way softer, smoother, and seems to have regained some of its former elasticity. It's almost as if I'm moisturizing myself from the inside out. Has anyone else noticed this phenomenon? Is there some kind of reverse osmosis at play here?

Oh man, I wish! My skin is so horrible from all the sweating and exercising! Bacne :( Not cool :( I hadn't been to the gym for two days in a row and my skin got slightly better but I am seeing my derm tomorrow.

That's really great for you! A nice surprise bonus
  • Seajolly
    Seajolly Posts: 1,435 Member
    Options
    Sweat flushes out toxins, so it's no surprise your skin is looking better because your pores are able to flush out the bad stuff. :smile: I really enjoy that "side effect" of sweating! Makes my skin feel GREAT! :heart:
  • withchaco
    withchaco Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    My family tells me my skin looks much better when I exercise, but I can't see any difference. I have huge pores and exercising doesn't seem to shrink them! Maybe it does improve other parts of my skin... or they're just trying to encourage me to keep exercising :laugh:

What did help me was Neutrogena's oil free acne face wash thingie. I used to have at least one prominent zit on my face at ANY given time. Now, I just have one or two subtle ones, or even none sometimes.
  • boobear42
    boobear42 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I've noticed my skin is better when I'm sweating some of the time, whether because of exercise or warmer weather.

Yeah! I'm wondering that myself! I battled with eczema pretty much my entire childhood, so my skin definitely suffers during the winter months. But this time around it's kind of different. I used to have rough patches that would never heal completely during even during the summer months, but now they're completely gone!
    Mine has improved too! I used to have lots of tiny bumps on my upper arms and they are virtually gone and my face glows. I love exercise! Lol

I love it too! I guess it's one more motivator to keep us going on the right path! :happy:
  • amyamadea
    amyamadea Posts: 17
    Options

Oh man, I wish! My skin is so horrible from all the sweating and exercising! Bacne :( Not cool :( I hadn't been to the gym for two days in a row and my skin got slightly better but I am seeing my derm tomorrow.

It gets worse before it gets better! You're flushing out the toxins right now and when they reach your skin they form spots but when they've gone you'll have great skin.
  • nicothepotato
    nicothepotato Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    I just gave myself a pat down after reading this thread and my skin is so smooth. I usually don't take much notice to my body because very few people see me with more than my face and hands exposed. I had noticed my face had taken on a much more even tone. I don't have dry patches anywhere or random bumps. I haven't used lotion in days and no one would be able to tell that by touching my skin. This is a surprise.
  • RoanneRed
    RoanneRed Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    As well as sweating out the toxins and drinking more water, I figure wiping the sweat off is exfoliating - something I need to remember to do on the top of my back to avoid sweat pimples there.
  • aflane
    aflane Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Don't forget to drink LOTS of water.... keep that healthy skin hydrated!!.
  • christinathompson1
    christinathompson1 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    thats awesome! if you aren't eating as many fried foods and junk food as you were before, than that will help with your skin too. :)
  • boobear42
    boobear42 Posts: 9 Member
    Options

Awww. Sorry to hear about the bacne! I read on an acne treatment site that putting lemon juice (apparently it's a great source of Alpha Hydroxy Acid) in bathwater might help with that, but I've yet to test this out myself.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure if its the exercise or healthy eating, but I always have much better skin when I'm looking after myself. I don't get colds and bugs as easily either.
    Another benefit of healthy living!
  • JDRBT
    JDRBT Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    I wish this was the case for me! Working out causes my back and shoulder area to break out MORE than usual.