Exercise induced asthma help!

Options
So today I did my first day of Couch to 5k. Woo! This past weekend I did day 1 of "zombies, run" but I didn't like it much since its not quite as structured telling you to run vs walk etc.
Anywho, I'm 5' 7" 168-ish, so not terribly over weight. And after walk/running both times for at least an hour after running I am coughing a good bit and I can hear my lungs (wheezing) .
I have been to an allergist in the past and my lung capacity/peak flow meter results are about 75% (I think it was)of normal.
In searching the forums, I found most people are given albuterol and told to take it 15 min prior to running.
So I guess my question is, is it possible for this to just go away? Or am I pretty much stuck with it?
I pretty much just started any form of cardio this past weekend so I know it'll take time for my body to adjust (the point of doing C25k). I did surprisingly well during the actual walk/run's, a bit of chest burning and normal "out of breath" feeling. But then after was when it really kicked in, coughing etc.
Just curious about anyones experience if this can go away with time or if I'm stuck with it.
Thanks!!

Replies

• jessicalsarbaum
    jessicalsarbaum Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I also have exercise induced asthma and I have had it most of my adult life. It does not go away from what I have learned from my doctor. I use albuterol on days that I run and also a daily inhaler for maintenance (Adair). I switched to a daily inhaler and have noticed a HUGE difference in my ability to run and breathe...
  • MudstainSally
    MudstainSally Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    I've been aware of my asthma my entire adult life. I probably had it as a kid, but was never diagnosed (I grew up in the 80s, you just dealt with crap good or bad). I played sports all year, softball, basketball, swimming, soccer and just thought, "you suck at running". When I was 20 I joined the Army and still struggled to run even though I could max out all other PT, running was a struggle. Finally an Army doctor said, "Duh, you have asthma, here's some albuterol."

It helped, but I never really found my niche with running.

Fast forward 18 years and I'm way overweight and had been on Symbicort daily and have occasionally had real full blown asthma attacks in the last few years and using Ventalin (I think albuterol was replaced or phased out) for sudden symptoms.

Now I'm getting healthy again, losing weight and off the Symbicort (steroid). But I need the Ventalin for heavy cardio and running and even with it I'm usually wheezy all day after things like a 5k.

So long story short... in my experience, the need for a rescue or prepuff never goes away no matter what. I've just accepted that I'm not a runner, my lungs hate me doing it.
  • Tricia7188
    Tricia7188 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Thanks ladies! Luckily I have insurance so it'll be easy to get the inhaler. I was just hoping I wouldn't have to medicate everytime I want to jog. Which doing Couch to 5k will be about 3 days a week... I could do other cardio I suppose, but I don't go to a gym so elliptical/machines are out. And walking alone is really boring and feels like it takes forever to me. All or nothing attitude I guess.
    Keep the experiences coming people! I want to hear as many ppls stories as possible. In case there's some miracle case out there lol
  • lmaharj
    lmaharj Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Uh.. Sound like you're out of shape. I use to be that way in middle school when first getting into sports. By high school I was off my inhaler (I was in way better shape).
  • Tricia7188
    Tricia7188 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Definitely out of shape for sure lol
    . I think I'll try the first couple weeks and see if it happens consistently. Especially since its more of an annoyance than anything, after the fact.
  • SwimmyD
    SwimmyD Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    If your peak flows are only 75% of normal I'd be off to the doctor to get an inhaler. It will make your exercise a whole lot easier and enjoyable when you can actually breathe properly. Fit or not fit, your lungs will still benefit if you have exercise induced asthma.
  • meritage4
    meritage4 Posts: 1,441 Member
    Options
    I need my inhalers when changing fitness levels. Once I've achieved a level of fitness I don't need the inhalers. So if I run regularly I'm ok, need it if I start to run further or faster.
  • brb_2013
    brb_2013 Posts: 1,197 Member
    Options
    meritage4 wrote: »
    I need my inhalers when changing fitness levels. Once I've achieved a level of fitness I don't need the inhalers. So if I run regularly I'm ok, need it if I start to run further or faster.

I agree, I also have asthma and I have noticed my symptoms decreasing as I get more fit. I used to need it for every exercise, now I find its been about two weeks since I used it. Also found out under my insurance that inhaler would cost me $75 so I find I definitely don't "need" it as much..... but truly have been using it less by getting more exercise.