Do fat people do yoga?

Options
So, I still have a lot of weight to lose and tried a yoga video once a few months ago. I don't know if I was doing it wrong, it was a bad video, or if it was just because I'm too fat, but it was kind of painful...not what I've heard anyone describe yoga as. It did feel like my belly was getting in the way of a couple moves. Anyway, I have bursitis in my knee and doc wants me to keep it low impact for a while so I thought yoga would be perfect and heard that it's best for beginners to start in a class. I'm nervous, though, because I don't want to be the only "fat" one in there and not be able to do any of it. I'm still in the "obese" category and have 52 lbs. to lose. I'm 5'8 and 212 right now. Have any of you taken classes where there were heavy ppl? Or are you still heavy and go to yoga class? Not a video at home, but a class with an instructor and other people. I know some of you will want to say, "don't worry about what other people think and just go!" But, I'm very self conscious about things and embarrass easily and if I go and look like a fool, I'm likely to not go again. So...let me know if I'm likely to look like an idiot and should maybe wait until I lose more weight. :) Thanks in advance for any help. :)

Replies

• baisleac
    baisleac Posts: 2,020 Member
    Options
    My ex-roommate (I got married) and I used to go to yoga classes together. I'm not sure what her exact weight was, but she was over 200... she was also one of the more flexible students in the class (beginners).
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    I started doing Yoga at 260 pounds. It was hard and it wasn't pretty, but I improved with each class and now I can do almost everything. You might try going to a gym. A live instructor can suggest modifications that can make things more manageable and allow you to get started.
  • lanie13
    lanie13 Posts: 55
    Options
    I actually love yoga. It's one of my fave workouts!!!
  • indigoangel86
    Options
    I am obese and I love yoga! I don't have the confidence to actually go to a class but I have lots of yoga dvd's. Sure, I can't do all the poses as well as 'skinny people' but I do the best I can and I love it. As I lose weight I notice a big difference in how limber I am and how far I can stretch.
  • Dom_m
    Dom_m Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    I've done a lot of yoga, pilates and taichi in classes over the past 2 years and I'd say at least half the people are overweight (obviously classes attract people trying to loose weight, right?) and there're always about 10-15% that are more so.
    I remember one women who was really overweight, but insanely flexible. I was really jealous of her in the yoga classes, because my hip, groin and hamstring range of motion has never been that good!
  • kimcat73
    kimcat73 Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    I've taken a couple of classes and the instructor was good about giving modifications to suit the beginners. I'm pretty flexible anyway and also am really in the mindset of "I don't care if people are watching, I'm doing my thang" :) If I hadn't had that attitude from the start, I wouldn't have lost as much as I have. Remember you are doing this for you, and everyone else is there for themselves, and probably won't be watching you:) Good luck!
  • moyyster
    moyyster Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    My dad is over 330lbs and does yoga. And not just a gentle class, he takes vinyasa. He has even taken a hot yoga class with me!
    Now mind you, my dad doesn't take yoga classes religiously every week but he takes a few classes (at least) each month.

I've been practicing yoga for quite a number of years now, and I can tell you that people of all ages, shapes, and sizes take yoga. Yoga is not about how far you can stretch or how long you can hold a posture.... for me yoga is ultimately about letting go, learning to be present, and acceptance. Through practicing yoga I learned a lot about acceptance, because there are some days you want to do something and your body just won't allow you to do it. I recommend starting with a beginner, gentle yoga class. Get there early, and introduce yourself to the instructor. Explain to him/her any limitations you may have, any problems with your body.

A book I've been wanting to read (I heard it was good) was "Yoga from the inside out: Making peace with your body through yoga" by Christina Sell. Maybe you will find it interesting.

Definitely let me know how your first yoga class goes! I'm excited to hear!
  • inbalish
    inbalish Posts: 8
    Options
    Hi!

I have been going to yoga for years and I've seen all kinds of people coming to give it a shot.
    It's really great and don't let your weight be a barrier. If you stick with it you'll see that everyone has his own "disabilities" or things that make it hard for them to do yoga. It's very individual so try not to compare yourself with others (I know it's hard, but it's worth the struggle :)
    Don't worry about it and try to stay focused on what your doing on your mat, you don't have to be "good" at yoga in order to benefit from it and enjoy it and like everything else in life... stick with it and it'll just get easier and easier :)
  • Kelly_Wilson1990
    Kelly_Wilson1990 Posts: 3,245 Member
    Options
    I have a hard time with yoga but I do what I can.
  • mystiedragonfly
    mystiedragonfly Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I, and several other women I know who are my size, do yoga all of the time. Look up pictures of Indian women doing Yoga. There are LOTS of us "fat" women doing it.

Yes, I believe you had bad videos and/or expected yourself to be able to do the poses/stretches perfectly right out of the starting gate.

Getting into Yoga is like getting into Martial Arts. You don't start off busting boards and wielding katanas on your first session. Arnold Schwarzenegger did not become Mr. Universe the first time he picked up a dumb bell. The base lesson of Yoga is patience. Patience with your body. Patience with your breath. Patience with becoming one with the moves you are doing. In Yoga, you go at your own pace and not of someone else's. If the instructor is expecting you to hit poses perfectly, they are not a teacher you want.

Yes, I would suggest joining a class. It may teach you the basics.

As for videos, my personal favorite is "Crunch Fitness: The Joy of Yoga". It's very low impact, yet high work out too.
  • Dramatic456
    Dramatic456 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Yoga for beginners should be fine. If your feeling nervous about going to the class you can always call the instructor and share your concerns before the class. I've been in plenty of classes where there were overweight people, and a good instructor will offer alternative moves for people who are struggling. Can I also suggest water aerobics? If they do it in your area it is a GREAT low-impact high energy workout, and its a great way to start getting into shape without putting a lot of strain on your body. Also, the water is nice and cool so you don't sweat! Don't give up! A positive attitude is where a good healthy body starts!
  • auntiebabs
    auntiebabs Posts: 1,754 Member
    Options
    Oh find a good teacher and/or studio!!!!!!!!

Yoga should never hurt.
    Yoga is not about achieving the perfect pose.
    But the journey toward your pose.
    Focus on alignment, not how far or deep you can get into the pose.
    Often when you relax into a pose you get a better stretch.
    It's a lot about using you body as weights or using the weight of your body to achieve a better stretch.

Push enough that you can feel the stretch, but never feel pain.
    It is a gradual process, that you hardly notice until you think back and say hey last year I couldn't do that.
    I read somewhere those who practice yoga over the long term also tend to maintain a healthy weight over the long term.

OH YES!!!!!!
    Remember to breath.
  • christinathompson1
    christinathompson1 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    i do pilates which is a lot like yoga, but a little harder. pilates is amazing. it DOES hurt and you WILL feel it the next day, you have to push yourself through it. i suggest pilates, you burn a lot more calories and it really helps shred fat and tone and sculpt your body. yoga you sit in the pose for a loooong time and it doesn't really burn as many calories. but to answer your question, ALL sizes can do yoga and pilates! big girls/guy can participate in any class thinner girls/guys do. :)
  • vzepol
    vzepol Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I started yoga last year when I was pushing 290, I am around 210 now. I believe most of my weight loss, strength and flexibility comes from my practice. Do what you can do and take your time learning. You will notice the difference as you improve.
    V.
  • MZNIKKIBOO
    MZNIKKIBOO Posts: 190
    Options
    I HAVE NOT TRIED YOGA YET...HOWEVER JUST STARTED TAKING BODY BUMP AND AEROBIC CHALLENGE AT THE Y AND OMG! I FEEL SO OUT OF SHAPE AT TIMES BUT ITS SO ENCOURAGING TO GO BECAUSE THE OTHER PPL IN CLASS AND INSTRUCTOR ARE ALL POSITIVE AND HELP ADJUST CERTAIN PARTS OF CLASS FOR YOU TO KEEP UP... I EVEN HAVE HAD TO TAKE A BREAK 5-10 MIN FROM MY HEART RATE GETTING TO HIGH ON MY HRM LIKE OVER 200!! BUT THE INSTRUCTORS KNOW ITS HARD THEY BE DRIPPING POURING SWEAT AT TIMES!! AND ITS NICE THAT I FEEL COMFORTABLE TO GO! TRY A CLASS...IF YOU DONT LIKE THE INSTRUCTOR OR THE ATMOSPHERE TRY ANOTHER--- BUT FROM MY EXPERIENCE THE FITNESS COACHES ARE EXTREMELY NON JUDGMENTAL! THEY HAVE WORKED WITH ALL SHAPES SIZES CONDITIONS ETC... GOOD LUCK GRL! U CAN DO WHATEVER YOU SET UR MIND 2!
  • basschick
    basschick Posts: 3,502 Member
    Options
    Yes, definitely go to a class. In the class I go to there are people of all ages, shapes, sizes, and weights. People will be too focused on looking at the instructor and/or themselves in the mirror to notice you. Also, being "fat" doesn't necessarily mean you'll be bad at yoga. I'm thin, but very inflexible so some of the heavier people that have been doing yoga longer than I have put me to shame. Let your instructor know that you're new to yoga and they will give you modifications for most moves and just sit the ones out that seem impossible right now. Good luck!
  • Shanzstar
    Shanzstar Posts: 197
    Options
    I started yoga 50lbs heavier than I am now and you can do it. Being heavy isnt going to stop you from doing yoga and when you go to a beginners class most ppl in it are new to yoga too. You will get better at it. My yoga teacher says "its like learning to walk. You had to learn how and you have to learn how to do yoga." I wont lie, Yoga was harder for me then because my tummy did get in the way but I didnt feel like i was the only fat one there. Most yoga places are very welcoming and can help you modify your poses. I go to many different classes now and theres all shapes, sizes and ages. I love yoga and go almost everyday so add me if you need some support. Yoga has all kinds of great benefits. good luck and namaste :)
  • risaiz
    risaiz Posts: 47
    Options
    I do yoga and I absolutely love it! I am a beginner and I can't do all the poses, but I am getting there slowly :) I have yoga DVD's that I follow at home. I have too much of a busy schedule to go to the gym. I really love Elena Brower DVD's and philosophy about yoga. Don't push your body to do more than what it can and you should be fine.
  • aflane
    aflane Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I attend yoga classes all the time. I started when I was about 350'ish. My only problem is when I use the wrong mat, and my feet stick to it. Makes changing positions extremely difficult.
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    yes, we do yoga (us not so skinny people) :)

take a beginners class, just concentrate on imitating the poses as best as you can, breathe through your nose... :)

I've done both DVDs and classes...if you talk to the instructor beforehand they can be helpful. Good luck!