Diet Restrictions you place on yourself?

Options
I am curious. What diet restrictions do you place on yourself?

Replies

• PearBlossom9
    PearBlossom9 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I do keto so I generally exclude alot of carbs. I generally try to get my carbs from certain veggies, fruits, nuts, and low carb wraps/tortillas.
  • MikilouB
    MikilouB Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I don't keep candy or junk in the house...if I eat it, I have to go out to get it...then I make sure I log it!
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    Stay at or below my calorie goal (and even that just most of the time - I don't sweat it when I occasionally go over). I don't restrict any macronutrient, food or food group from my diet.
  • allyphoe
    allyphoe Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    Aspirational goals, not always achieved, but mostly:
    - >=1g per pound of lean mass of protein, ideally every day (calculates to about 20% of sedentary maintenance calories)
    - >= 0.5g per pound of lean mass of fat, ideally every day (calculates to about 22.5% of sedentary maintenance calories)
    - 35+ g per day of fiber, averaged over the week
    - daily calories within +/- 20% of my rolling 30 day average (10% of days out of that range is good; >30% of days out of that range is a problem - this basically means "avoid falling into binge-and-restrict")

I eat pretty much anything within that framework. Because I'm eating very close to maintenance calories, it's not a particularly restrictive framework. Fiber is the one I find hardest to reliably hit day to day (today I'm only at 22g, although weekly is 36g), and the one I always miss if I'm not paying attention to my eating.
  • pebble4321
    pebble4321 Posts: 1,132 Member
    Options
    I don't set myself up with a lot of restrictions - generally I aim to have the majority of my calories come from food that giving me a good amount of nutrition and variety, and to keep the amount of stuff that I eat just because I like it to a smaller percentage.
    There's nothing I've cut out completely, but I tend to avoid buying things that I don't want to be eating too much of (lollies, large amounts of chocolate, timtams etc) to make it easier on myself.
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    Options
    Except for special occasions, I always create my meal plans ahead of time and stick to them.

When doing my planning, I must come in near my calorie goal (ideal is within 30 calories) and I like to hit my protein goal although it's a secondary concern.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    The only restriction I put on myself is to make sure I eat the amount of daily calories given to me by MFP. Other than that, I eat all foods, I make space for them so that they fit into the allotted calories. That makes losing weight easier for me. :)

Yes, this.
  • raindawg
    raindawg Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Right now during weight loss I cut out the junk six days a week (cookies, chips, pizza, etc) and allow them in moderation one day a week (Fridays). Once I'm on maintenance though no restrictions as long as they fit in my maintenance calories for the week.
  • fishshark
    fishshark Posts: 1,886 Member
    Options
    none as far as food. I try to stay in a deficit some days i do some i dont.
  • lucys1225
    lucys1225 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    No added sugar or grains. I don't weigh, count calories or log. I keep my meals at about 75% vegetables and 25% protein.
  • Heartlight441
    Heartlight441 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    I'm often all over the place - zig/zagging my calories or maybe changing up my daily macros BUT I'm back to keeping it simple with my caloric deficit, (exercise) and being sensible with choosing healthy foods and occasional yummy treats that I also track for. I love planning ahead for my meals and snacks.
  • caammph
    caammph Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    The only restriction I have is that if I can't make it fit in my calories, I don't eat it. Generally speaking of course. We all have days we go over, but mine are few and far between.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,121 Member
    Options
    I eat fewer calories than I burn.
  • marm1962
    marm1962 Posts: 950 Member
    Options
    lucys1225 wrote: »
    No added sugar or grains. I don't weigh, count calories or log. I keep my meals at about 75% vegetables and 25% protein.

just out of curiosity.....and yes, I know it killed the cat (lol), what do you do here?
  • marm1962
    marm1962 Posts: 950 Member
    Options
    I restrict my ice cream intake to a single serving or two and it has to be skinny cow
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I pay attention to what I eat, but I like to think of it as boundaries and not restrictions. It's more that I mostly avoid and stay away from, not cut out completely, I also focus on things I DO, not so much things I DON'T do.

My "rules", or guidelines:
    • I eat four meals per day, nothing between meals.
    • I drink non-caloric beverages between meals - water, black coffee and unsweetened tea.
    • I drink at least 8 cups of water every day, more when I'm thirsty.
    • All meals consist of - at the very least - protein, fat (preferably a naturally fatty protein source) and vegetables. They are also portion controlled - through prior calorie tracking.
    • Every day I eat four portions of vegetables and three portions of fruit, and some nuts.
    • I eat a varied diet and change up and rotate items continually. I have weekly dinner themes:
      • M - one pot wonder;
      • T - white meat;
      • W - leftovers from Monday;
      • T - fish;
      • F - freeday;
      • S - carb nite;
      • S - red meat.
    • I keep a well-stocked pantry (and freezer). Just enough in the fridge to tide me over until next shopping trip.
    • I cook from scratch a lot, but keep it simple.
    • I plan my meals, and because I only eat food I like, I tend to follow my plan quite well.
    • I write shopping lists based on what I'm going to eat/make, and stick to the list when I'm shopping. I don't buy anything that isn't on the list, or not going to be used in a meal. So I don't buy snack/junk food.

My mantras:
    • I eat anything I like, but not everything at once, and not all the time.
    • Food is supposed to taste good, but not too good.
    • I love food that loves me back.
    • Everything in moderation, including moderation.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    None really. Just not waste calories on things that are not worth it (so I don't drink calories anymore, pretty much).
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    None. I like living life.