p90x recovery drink made me sick

Options
just wondering....has anyone had a bad reaction to the p90x recovery drink? i had it 2 days ago (2 scoops in 12 oz of water) and within 30 minutes had diarreah. i thought it was possibly just a coincidence, but while halfway through drinking it today i thought to look it up on google and saw that stomach cramping, nausea, and diarreah are side effects for some people. i only drank half of a serving and noticed that my stomach handled it much better. anyone else have the same side effects? im considering having only 1 scoop in 12 oz of water...

Replies

• kmeekhof
    kmeekhof Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    how much protein is in 2 scoops?
  • timlord
    timlord Posts: 158
    Options
    beter to recover with about 12-20 g protein, and some simple (fruit, veg) carbs after
    would be glad to help in any way
    I am a certified personal fitness teacher
    Good Luck!
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    Does it contain sugar alcohols or artificial sweeteners? Xylitol or mannitol? Sugar alcohols often cause those symptoms in people who are sensitive to them.
  • charli21
    charli21 Posts: 13
    Options
    @kmeekhof: the amount of protein in 2 scoops is 10g. i dont think thats the issue though bc i have a protein bar with 20g and a protein drink with 25g every day already. when i read about it, it seems to be the amount of vitamins/protein/creatine combo that is upsetting for some people.

@songbyrdsweet: nice back!! i like your photo :) it does not contain xylitol or mannitol.

thanks ladies...i was just wondering how many other people out there had an adverse reaction. apparently smaller people are more sensitive to it, and since the directions are "2 scoops", there is no consideration for whether you're male or female, or 125 lbs or 225 lbs!
  • staclo
    staclo Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    I have no idea, but that's really interesting! I'd probably just do half and work up to the full serving size or something. I use either chocolate milk or Accelerade for my recovery drink, mostly because it's so much cheaper than the P90X version.
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    @kmeekhof: the amount of protein in 2 scoops is 10g. i dont think thats the issue though bc i have a protein bar with 20g and a protein drink with 25g every day already. when i read about it, it seems to be the amount of vitamins/protein/creatine combo that is upsetting for some people.

@songbyrdsweet: nice back!! i like your photo :) it does not contain xylitol or mannitol.

thanks ladies...i was just wondering how many other people out there had an adverse reaction. apparently smaller people are more sensitive to it, and since the directions are "2 scoops", there is no consideration for whether you're male or female, or 125 lbs or 225 lbs!

Thanks!

The protein is probably not causing the GI problems. Creatine certainly can because it influences water retention. Does it contain some fiber supplement like inulin?
  • kmeekhof
    kmeekhof Posts: 456 Member
    Options

at just 10 g definately not. I know a few people who can't handle excessive amounts of protein at a time so I thought maybe that was it. The vitamins makes sense... I cannot take a multi-vitamin because I get incredibly sick. I guess stick with 1 scoop if it isnt making you sick!
  • allentirey
    allentirey Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I saw your post on the p90x recovery drink. If you just purchased it, I would send it back to Beachbody. They have a 30-day money back guarantee on their nutritional products. Just contact their customer service department and they will help you.
  • johncowart
    johncowart Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I would imagine it is the high amount of vitamin c or b. I've been using it for almost two years and love it. I usually put about 16-18 oz of water. I do 1 scoop on cardio days and 2 scoops on weight days. Its a good 4:1 recovery and got even better this year when they switched to maltodextrin instead of fructose sugars for glycogen loss.
    They offer refunds so I would send it back or continue to dilute. You could try accellerade which has about the same vitamin c and that may tell you if it's the vitamins.

congrats on doing P90X.
    John
  • RandaDerkson
    RandaDerkson Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I have never had a bad reaction. I love the stuff!
  • charli21
    charli21 Posts: 13
    Options
    thanks everyone. i actually did not buy it; it was given to us by a friend who couldnt use it bc she has diabetes and the carb content was too high for her. i will probably water it down...one scoop per 12 oz. thanks so much!