What are your favorite low calorie meals?

Options
jawillia
jawillia Posts: 24 Member
edited June 2016 in Motivation and Support
Hi, guys. So I'm a foodie. I enjoy flavor and cooking, but I also have a full-time job that requires a lot of sitting and I'm in school on top of that. Cooking time is minimal. I use Blue Apron for three of my dinners, which is amazing, and I grab an easy breakfast and lunch. My struggle is the weekend when I don't just have to just worry about myself but my husband and 11 year old step daughter as well. I need ideas that are good for all and good for you. Oh, yeah....and fairly quick to make!

Replies

• SisterSueGetsFit
    SisterSueGetsFit Posts: 1,211 Member
    Options
    I absolutely love the frozen gnocchi from Trader Joe's. I add in some sliced up chicken sausage (several flavors also available at Trader Joe's) and it all comes in under 400 calories. Add in a nice salad and you have a delicious meal.
  • jawillia
    Options
    That sounds amazing!
  • delineationfiguration
    delineationfiguration Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I have a go-to recipe for a lovely, thick soup; warming, satisfying and plenty of protein. It takes about 40 minutes to make, but you can do a big batch. This is for four people and gives approximately 300-350 calories per serving.

Ingredients
    • 400 g chicken breast
    • 50-100 g butternut squash
    • 400 g chopped tomatoes (tin)
    • 1 onion
    • 1 tb mild/medium curry powder
    • 100-200 g frozen/canned garden peas
    • 400-600 ml chicken stock (1 cube)
    • 2 tb vegetable oil
    • salt & pepper

How to:
    1. Chop the onion and saute it in half the oil, with the curry powder, for about ten minutes.
    2. While you are doing this, cut the butternut squash into chunks and dice the chicken breasts into bite-sized pieces.
    3. Pour the stock and the chopped tomatoes into the saucepan/casserole with the onions and bring to boil. Add the butternut squash and leave to simmer under a lid until soft.
    4. While it simmers, get a frying pan and cook the chicken pieces through with the remainder of the oil. Season with salt and pepper. Put to the side.
    5. Take the casserole off the heat. With a handheld blender/blender, run the soup until smooth and return to the heat. Add the chicken and garden peas. Leave to simmer for 4-5 minutes. Add extra salt and pepper if desired.
    6. Serve as is or with a piece of bread.
  • AlisonH729
    AlisonH729 Posts: 558 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I love this recipe for Garlic Shrimp With Asparagus and Lemon. I make it at least once a month, sometimes more. The sauce is really light but still very flavorful. (I don't bother with the lemon zest part, the juice from a plastic lemon works just fine.) I use a lot of shrimp and asparagus so I don't need to make a ton of pasta for the meal to be filling, but since that is where the bulk of the calories comes from (& because I don't like the texture of whole wheat pastas) I recommend the Ronzoni Ancient Grains thin spaghetti.

Edited to add: It's not in the recipe but we like to top it with pecorino romano. (That's where the rest of my calories come from, I have a heavy hand when it comes to cheese.)
  • jawillia
    Options
    Thanks, guys. These all sound yummy and easy enough to accomplish without holding me hostage in the kitchen
  • ilove3g
    ilove3g Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Frittata is one of my favorite quick meals. Eggs, cheese, any vegies you want to throw in, a little bacon or sausage, sometimes a tablespoon of salsa, if you like that. Bake for 20-25 minutes at 350. Have with a salad and/or cut up fruit. Cheap, quick, 300 calories or under, depending on what you put in. It is like a crustless quiche.
  • ilove3g
    ilove3g Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Leftovers can be eaten at breakfast!