What's your motivation?

Options
dtmwed
dtmwed Posts: 130 Member
What's your motivation? What keeps you from picking up the donut, candy, cupcake, or bag of chips? I work in a docs office and there is junk food every where. Just need some tips on how to discipline myself to not go to the bad place.

Replies

• MsLexii
    MsLexii Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    For me it was educating myself. When I went through school and got my Pre-Nursing AA, I learned about the body and how it functions. Then I went into an RN program. I learned even more! It's amazing seeing how much fat actually surrounds your heart. Triple bypass surgeries. Seeing people lucky to be alive. That's scary. Education for me is key. Knowing why it needs to happen. Knowing what happens if I don't. Setting an example for my daughter, and living a long healthy life. Knowing that if I get moving now, stay active, and lose weight I won't need a knee replacement at 40, or 50. Knowing that if I fall and break my hip at 60, I'll have a much higher success rate of healing properly, because 1 in 5 people that fall and break their hip die from that fall.

Education, and having the knowledge to know what to do with it.

It's okay to indulge. It's okay to have a treat once in awhile within moderation. You don't want to obsess over it. But temptations are everywhere. Your will power and reason WHY needs to be stronger than your temporary desire for sweets. NOTHING tastes as good as healthy feels.
  • amanda000002014
    amanda000002014 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I am not going to lie; I want to be the thin one again. I had more energy then I do now. I want to cross the graduation stage back at my old weight, which I hadn't seen in three years (college fat). I also want to be a good example for my daughter. Oh! And I want to be in a better mood. I am realizing today that a poor diet equals a poor state of physical and emotional life.
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    We all get the body we secretly want. Which do you want more? The "donut, candy, cupcake, or bag of chips?"
    Or the body you say you want? There lies your motivation.
  • RockinTerri
    RockinTerri Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    Honestly for me, it's all about moderation. I've tried different strategies (including depriving myself of those goodies), and the one that seems to work best for me is "everything in moderation". I may not lose the weight in warp speed, but the small losses add up, and I don't end up binging and putting the loss back on.
  • billglitch
    billglitch Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    self control is the hardest part. i eat low carb, high fat/protein and am usually not hungry, but sometimes i want something different and i have it....not all the time and not often. you have to enjoy life too
  • sophomorelove
    sophomorelove Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I want to be able to do yoga inversions and figure skating jumps. 50 extra pounds are not helpful :) Also, I would love for clothes shopping to be fun again. I want to select an outfit based on whether I love it, not whether it is the most successful in hiding my body and camouflaging fat rolls.
  • 2011rocket3touring
    2011rocket3touring Posts: 1,346 Member
    Options
    rhsdancer5 wrote: »
    ....I really became kinda obsessed with logging my food/exercise and it's kind of like a game...
    Awesome! Good to know I'm not the only one.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    I don't want to be limited in what I do because of poor health caused by being overweight.
    I donated my old clothes and would be devastated buying that size again.
    Grandchildren now, and later, great grandchildren.
  • k_l_c_2008
    k_l_c_2008 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    My mom has struggled with her weight my whole life, now that she older her health is going down hill....quickly. I don't want that, I want to be able to enjoy my life longer.

I find that if I'm craving an indulgence item and I think about logging it here, I'm less likely to eat it. MFP has been really helpful in holding myself accountable.
  • yankeesfn26
    yankeesfn26 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    My Newborn Son! Makes me want to get on track and be active in his life for along time!
  • strange29mfp
    strange29mfp Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    My motivation is how sexy my wife is:)
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    My motivation is to stay out of the doctor's office or at least off of the medications I see my parents taking.
  • JDixon852019
    JDixon852019 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    At first it was because I didn't want to buy a whole new wardrobe. I had gained 40lbs over a 3 year period. I thought I was a unicorn that could eat whatever she wanted and not gain weight. Office jobs tend to snap off horns unfortunately.

A few months in I realized how much BETTER I was feeling as far as my anxiety levels and energy goes. I even picked running 5Ks back up. Running makes declining free donuts easy. I feel like crap during my run if I eat junk that day. The cleaner I eat, the more enjoyable my runs are.
  • huntergraymua
    huntergraymua Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    My motivation is to finally lose the weight so I don't end up like most of my family members: obese and with type 2 diabetes.