HRM - more or less calories than MFP?

Options
Hey everyone :) i've heard that HRMs are supposed to be more accurate than MFP. when you exercise, does your HRM say you've burned more or less calories than MFP says? I've heard some people say that their HRM said they burned way more calories that MFP says, but others say the opposite... I'm just curious because i'm getting a Polar FT7 HRM this weekend. :)

Replies

• kristiedavis1
    Options
    Mine says less than this site and the elliptical and the tread mill and my Curves Smart card.
  • Skolls081102
    Skolls081102 Posts: 184
    Options
    Both! Depends on the exercise I was doing. I've had MFP calculate higher and lower than what my HRM says.
  • teacherkatz
    teacherkatz Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Mine always says less than MFP. Make sure the chest strap fits. Mine was too big. I did not know they came in sizes. The one that came with the computer (watch) was huge and kept slipping. I contacted Polar and they were great about it. They are sending me a xs-s strap for free. I I highly recommend the company!
  • purpleprose
    purpleprose Posts: 650
    Options
    Mine generally says far fewer calories than the MFP calculation. Having the HRM has been a huge help!
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    Mine says more then the treadmill, elliptical and MFP.

I also have the FT7.
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    Again depends on the exercise. Weight training...MFP is substantially less. P90x, I do about 750cal between a normal workout and ab ripper x. There was previously no P90x on MFP to compare to though.

Cris
  • Countrymade
    Countrymade Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar also. I don't pay any attention anymore to the calories burned at the gym or MFP. They were higher and lower depending what exercise I was doing.
    I just use my HRM calories burned. It is more accurate.
  • Scubasab
    Scubasab Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    I have a POLAR FT7 HRM and I absolutely love it!!! :love: I would say that the majority of my workouts my HRM says I burn more calories. However, on the treadmill, and some other machines they are similar. I would highly reccomend investing in a HRM!!!! :bigsmile:
  • JennLifts
    JennLifts Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    I burn a good 2 or 3 times mfp
  • kjjm08
    kjjm08 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Mine always says less than MFP and the Elliptical/Treadmill. It's just a 30 dollar one from Wal Mart. I can't wait to get my Garmin :)
  • HelloKittyRx
    Options
    Mine always says more than MFP
  • Swimgoddess
    Swimgoddess Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    WAaaaAaY more per my FT7 than the MFP database.

-But I also take Adderal so my HR is jacked more than the average person.
  • BohemianDestiny
    BohemianDestiny Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Mine says less, depending on the exercise is just how much less. I really love my Polar FT4. Zumba, Treadmill and xBox 360 Kinect are my choices of cardio.