Breakfast Ideas

Options
DownsizingSam
DownsizingSam Posts: 28 Member
Hello everyone,
So I'm a shocker when it comes to breakfast, I know it's the most important meal of the day,but I start work at 6:30 in the morning and don't have a lot of time to prepare a good meal. I'm already getting up at 4:15 to walk one of the dogs before work and wpuld orefer not to have to qake any earlier to squeeze everything into my morning! So I'm looking for quick, easy to make breakfast ideas. I usually just have a bowl of cereal, but the only cereal I eat is high in sugar so wanting to get away from that option. I am open to all ideas anyone can throw at me. I live in rural Australia so keep in mind that I may not have access to some ingredients (though I'm sure in most cases I would be able to get a similar product)

Replies

• billglitch
    billglitch Posts: 538 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    I start my day around 5:30AM usually, eat a protein bar right off the bat and then again within 30-minutes post work out (usually on my way into work). Lots of flavors, can try a shake instead to switch it up occasionally.
  • TracyeS4
    TracyeS4 Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    healthy french toast (100% whole wheat bread dipped in egg whites and cooked stove top), very quick and easy.

yogurt with or without granola

cottage cheese with fruit

overnight oats (google it - they are amazing and there are tons of varieties)

Hope that helps.
  • lucys1225
    lucys1225 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    I'm up at 3 and on my way to the gym by 4:30 and I find the easiest, best tasting and nutritious breakfast to be an egg white casserole with roasted vegetables. I make a big pyrex dish and each morning cut a large piece, top it with chicken verde and throw it in the microwave then top with salsa. Less than 5 minutes from start to finish.
  • towhook
    towhook Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I think the adage that breakfast is the most important meal of the day is outdated and was probably only created to sell more cereal.

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/health-benefits-of-intermittent-fasting/
  • GeoBaybee
    GeoBaybee Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I usually allow myself 30 mins to sit and have breakfast before work.
    My go to's are -
    scrambled eggs w/whole wheat toast (2 eggs, 2 slices) I spread Brummel and brown butter on my toast
    bowl of oatmeal and a lowfat yogurt
    hard boiled eggs + toast
    scrambled eggs & honey wheat English muffin (I put B&B butter and honey on mine - yum!)
    toast with peanut butter
  • NaturalNancy
    NaturalNancy Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    - Toast or bread w a sliced boiled egg
    - Toast or bread w pnut butter and honey
    - Greek yogurt w fresh fruit and toasted walnuts or almonds
  • dklibert
    dklibert Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    An English muffin toasted. Top each half with a slice of tomato and swiss cheese. Place under the broiler until cheese is melted and bubbly. Also great with tomato, avocado and cheddar jack cheese.

I am obsessed with baked eggs right now. Got the idea from Domestic Geek. You can make so many different styles. I made spinach, artichoke and cheese. I have made bacon, tomato and Swiss too. Mushroom is delicious also. I even made one Miga style with broken corn chips, salsa and cheese. Possibilities are endless.

Baked Eggs

Cooking spray
    1 egg
    your choice of protein, veggies and/or cheese

Preheat oven to 425°F. Lightly spray ramekin with cooking spray. Place protein, veggies and/or cheese around the edges of the ramekin. Creating a small well in the center of the ingredients. Crack 1 egg into the well. Season eggs with salt, pepper or seasonings. Bake for 10 minutes or until the eggs are cooked to your liking. Garnish and serve immediately.

You could pre-heat the oven while walking the dog.

Another idea is Hungry Girl Egg Mugs if you have a microwave. hungry-girl.com/go-to-guides/show/best-of-egg-mug-recipes
  • ChristopherLimoges
    ChristopherLimoges Posts: 298 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    A good breakfast bar is fine. For most people who shop at local Super Markets, Cascadian Farms is among the top quality choices. Their Chewy Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Granola bar is deceptively healthier than other breakfast bars. Saves time, energy, etc.

http://www.cascadianfarm.com/products/granola-bars/chewy-granola-bars/peanut-butter-chocolate-chip
  • bellabonbons
    bellabonbons Posts: 705 Member
    Options
    Orgain protein or meal replacement shakes. 24 grams of protein. Fast Easy. 5 minutes to prepare. Loaded with super healthy protein and vitamins and minerals to get your day off to a great start. I add a tablespoon of peanut butter and sometimes a little yogurt or sometimes a fourth of an avocado or even a tablespoon or so of organic cocoa. Healthy delicious. Fast. My favorite is vanilla bean. They also come in an amazing chocolate fudge flavor and they also have Orgain for kids.
  • j75j75
    j75j75 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    On days when I eat breakfast I usually go with steel cut oats or muesli, add in some peanut butter, some berries and a few soft-boiled eggs; maybe some honey as well
  • jnpaul3
    jnpaul3 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I make egg white omlets. You can make a couple ahead and keep in the refrigerator then heat as needed.
  • markclaire
    markclaire Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Slice of wholemea toast with 35 g of peanut butter
  • vixtris
    vixtris Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    I don't have a lot of time in the mornings to make breakfast. So, instead I premake lunches for the week that I can heat in the microwave. Not breakfast food, but I make grilled chicken with rice, quinoa, cheese, green beans, and a slice of whole wheat bread. For a kinda fast breakfast, I'll also do a bacon egg and cheese sandwich on a slice of whole wheat bread, sometimes with a side of yogurt. These meals range from about 350-450 calories.
  • BrianaS7
    BrianaS7 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    All of these sound really awesome!!

However, just to get another opinion in there, I will tell you what I do. I buy a week's worth of grapefruit at the grocery store and wash it when I get home. Each day before breakfast, I cut up half a one and have half a grapefruit. Then for protein if I don't have time to make eggs, I will usually get a tub of Chobani Greek Yogurt. Now your healthiest option is plain, however, in my opinion, plain is kind of disgusting. I usually put a dash of cinnamon, almonds, and some small fresh fruits to give it a flavor without any excess additives. It sounds a little time consuming, but I do it rather quickly. It also gets in a good balance of nutrition.
  • honey_brown69
    honey_brown69 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Great ideas
  • opyrchaloctavia
    opyrchaloctavia Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Greek yougurt with protein powder it's sweet and you can add any fruit you like