Ideas on exercises for a very tight schedule

Options
So I work full time and I'm a full time mom to a 1 year old, my husband is military so his schedule is crazy too. I need to exercise but I need something that fits into time constraints . My daily schedule looks like this: 430 am get up. 430 am to 515/530 am (first, hope and pray mini monster doesn't wake up). Then get ready for work and load up car. 515/530 am to 545/6 am get mini monster ready. 545/6 am leave home to drop him off at baby sitters and get to work by 7 am. 7 am to 530 pm work with a 30 minute lunch break. 530 pm to 615\630 pm pick up mini monster (unless my husband does), 615/630 pm to 730 pm cook dinner/eat/dishes/prepare lunch for the next day. 730 pm till about 830/845 pm get mini monster ready for bed. 845 pm/10 pm pick up house/relax. I do a lot of walking at work and sometimes have spare time to where I could fit in some quick and easy exercises.

Replies

• joeysgirl10
    joeysgirl10 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    how about adding ankle weights to your normal activity at home
  • lea_fitz
    lea_fitz Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I love the fitnessblender.com videos. They're free! You can search for workouts based on length of time and type of workout and equipment needed. They have hundreds to choose from - many are 30 min or less. I have a similar working-mom-schedule like yours and usually do these workouts after my kiddo is in bed.
  • KristyRunyon81
    KristyRunyon81 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Try adding on Squats, jumping jacks and desk push ups through out the day. I have a desk job but every time I get up to use the bathroom or something I do 10 squats and 10 jumping jacks.
  • tiffanylacourse
    tiffanylacourse Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    430 am get up.
    430 am to 530 am get ready for work and load up car.
    530 am to 6 am get mini monster ready.
    6 am leave home to drop him off at baby sitters and get to work by 7 am.
    7 am to 530 pm work with a 30 minute lunch break.
    530 pm to 630 pm pick up mini monster
    630 pm to 730 pm cook dinner/eat/dishes/prepare lunch for the next day.
    730 pm till about 845 pm get mini monster ready for bed.
    845 pm to 10 pm pick up house/relax

Here are my ideas:
    1) I would use 4:30 - 5:30am (or even a half hour of that time), if possible to squeeze in a quick workout. Youtube video workout or anything would work.
    2) 30 minute lunches are great for walks [especially if you can eat at your desk/workstation]
    3) 7:30 - 8:45pm is over an hour and 15 minutes to get your little one ready for bed. Does it really take you that long? I have four boys and I can have them all showered and in PJs in less than 40 minutes. You might be able to find time in this block.
    4) 8:45 - 10pm. Sometimes you have to use your 'relaxation' time as exercise time. Maybe try some yoga videos or something that is exercise but still relaxing for you. I prefer lifting, but whatever works for you.

You can't 'find' time to workout - especially when you're busy. You have to 'make' the time. Set the time as an appointment you can't miss and then just do it.

Best of luck! :flowerforyou:
  • Bianca42
    Bianca42 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    I work full time and have two boys. First, I take a 1 mile walk nearly every day at lunchtime with a co-worker. We did it all winter in the freezing cold and snow. The only thing that keeps us away is rain.

I mostly do at home workout videos that are 22-30 minutes depending on which one.
    I was doing them as soon as the boys are in bed for the night and then relaxing/cleaning after. But, I changed things up recently and it's working well. I prep lunches as much as I can on Sunday, to reduce the time spend in the morning. I also prep backpacks and my workbags and pick out clothes the night before. I sleep in my workout gear, so all I have to do it put on my sneakers when I wake up. And the most import change is that I stay off social media/email/internet in the morning. This has allowed me to wake up 10 minutes earlier, fit in a 30 minute workout and still be out the door on time, if not earlier.

I agree that you have to MAKE time somehow.
  • petunia773
    petunia773 Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Can your hubby help out around the house with dinner prep, getting your child ready for bed to give you some extra time in the evening? Or work it into your morning routine?
  • daniellek30
    daniellek30 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Wow! You are a busy lady! I not only work full time, but I also own a tattoo shop with my husband. So I essentially work from 8am to 9-10pm, and then HOPE to be in bed by 11pm. From

My day job ends at 5pm, and I've had to put my foot down and make time for working out before going to work at the tattoo shop, because if not I won't get it in! I don't have kids (but i'm hoping to soon!), so I definitely can't help with that... but here's a few things you could do:

- Right when you wake up, get a little work out in... jumping jacks, lunges, crunches, anything you can do. It doesn't have to be long, just enough to get your heart pumping.
    - Do the same thing for a few minutes of your lunch break.
    - Also, while you're cooking dinner! During the weekends, I cook and meal prep for the week ahead. In that time, I do squats, lunges, etc.
  • aquablue_1111
    aquablue_1111 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    How about T25? From start to finish, the workouts are 25 min. I was doing T25 for awhile and love it.
  • quietandmildspirit
    quietandmildspirit Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Megan Is your Mom Emily Smith? Nancy Simonelli here. Miss the Keys with your family.
  • Megansmith112712
    Megansmith112712 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Megan Is your Mom Emily Smith? Nancy Simonelli here. Miss the Keys with your family.

No she's not
  • julesloveland
    julesloveland Posts: 93 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Search for 'The Body Coach' on YouTube. He has free workouts on Youtube that are HIIT based (so maximum burn for minimal time) and range between 15 and 30 mins. Even if you can't do a whole work out you could do a few squats, mountain climbers or burpees when you get a few mins. I would def maximise your 30 min lunch break with a walk. :-) It's not easy when you work and have small kids but it can happen!