My experience bicycling to work

Options
A lot of people asked me about my experience with bicycling to work. In hindsight it isn't that big an accomplishment as I live less than 3 miles from work. I needed lot of preparation though. When I drive my car I take about 40 lbs of files and lunch and computer, etc. On a bike I had to plan better. I still took about 15 pounds worth of stuff. I left some clothes, deodorant, shoes, a wash cloth, etc at the office the day before. Had to leave about one hour early just to make sure I wasn't late. I got to the office in about 25 minutes after starting out and it was a cool trip. I wasn't too sweaty, but it seemed like it took longer than I expected to switch from bicyclist mode/outfit to office mode. I felt like Clark Kent. I then worked seven hours. I felt a little tired all day.

When it came time to go home it was a different situation. I was tired from a full day of work, and had to reverse the process to becoming a bicyclist. The day was hot then (95 degrees) and there was some wind. Going home is also more uphill than going to work which is slightly downhill. The traffic was also worse. I had to be more careful because there was a skinny little bike path next to the heavily trafficked road, and I found that I wasn't as stable in staying on a straight line as I used to be. Hopefully this will improve with practice. It was hot but I made it home in 35 minutes. My HRM estimated about 300 calories burned.

As one of my MFP friends said, biking to work "kills eight birds with one stone." I agree. Between the calories burned, the dollar savings, the help to the environment, the feeling of accomplishment, and waving to runners along the way it was worth it. I am hoping to make this a regular thing. Probably Tuesday and Thursday mornings unless I have something for which I need a car.

If you are thinking of bicycling to work i encourage you to try it. I needed a good backpack and had to pack the night before, but it was worth it.

Replies

• PRod31
    PRod31 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    It is really worth it to wake up and ride you bike to work. Just ride defensively and you will be fine. I applaud your effort and encourage you to keep it up.
  • vbennett7
    vbennett7 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I only live one block from work, so I just usually walk. Biking is around town, to the library, etc. ( Small town)
  • amyamadea
    amyamadea Posts: 17
    Options
    I wish it was worth cycling to my work. I live a two minute walk away, it'd take longer to actually get my bike out of the shed.

It's really not much of a walkout working there either.
  • TDSeest
    TDSeest Posts: 1,089 Member
    Options
    I have a 63 mile one way commute, mostly through the country. I've worked up to between 15 to 25 miles a day now. Won't be able to reach this goal until next year sometime. I still have 175 pounds to lose, so I envision biking further as I get lighter.
  • pkpzp228
    pkpzp228 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I used to ride to work everyday for over a year, about 15 miles one way and I loved it. Now, I live about 3 miles from work and I'm in the same boat. It's not worth it, the hassle of prepping for a daily bike commute, packing lunch, clothes, limited freedom in terms of late day options, etc is just nowhere near worth it.

I still ride just not to work.