What would you choose to eat from this menu?

Options
jmgj27
jmgj27 Posts: 531 Member
jh7ktfj10tey.png

My first dinner out in well over a year! I've logged up an extra 1000cals of exercise today in preparation and kept intake to a minimum so far. Happy to have seafood and avoid pizza but may want starter and a main?!

Replies

• mom2wessarah
    mom2wessarah Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I'd stick to something on the specialties menu, but ask how much butter is used. Plus you can ask for the portion size. If it's too big, no problem, just ask for a box at the beginning of the meal and put some of the meal in the box.
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    If I was trying to stay lower calorie I'd order the soup and bruschetta....but I eat out like every week. If this is the first dinner out in a year you should live a little. Get whatever you like and then back to normal tomorrow.
  • bogwoppt1
    bogwoppt1 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I would have the soup of the day and the bruschetta. I often order two appetisers when eating out. That way I feel like I am getting two courses and I get the smaller portions I want, if I order a full main course I tend to eat it all!
  • withoutasaddle
    withoutasaddle Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I would order a couple sides as my "meal", but avoid starters. I also hate paying for salads so nothing there. I wouldn't shy away from the pizzas though- probably just as many calories as the pasta dishes.
  • cross2bear
    cross2bear Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    If it was me, I would have the grilled marinated prawns on warm white Tuscan bean salad, and then for mains, I would have the grilled salmon with sauce on the side. My logic is that grilled means cooked without extra fat. Bean salad normally does not include a heavy, fatty dressing. Salmon is one of my favourite dishes to eat out, and sauce on the side is to control the amount of unknown ingredients, like butter or oil.

My second choice for a main would be the rib eye, but it is a fattier cut of meat than say a strip loin.

For sides, I would have the mixed salad, any dressing on the side.

It all looks wonderful! I hope you enjoy it!
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    cross2bear wrote: »
    If it was me, I would have the grilled marinated prawns on warm white Tuscan bean salad, and then for mains, I would have the grilled salmon with sauce on the side. My logic is that grilled means cooked without extra fat. Bean salad normally does not include a heavy, fatty dressing. Salmon is one of my favourite dishes to eat out, and sauce on the side is to control the amount of unknown ingredients, like butter or oil.

My second choice for a main would be the rib eye, but it is a fattier cut of meat than say a strip loin.

For sides, I would have the mixed salad, any dressing on the side.

It all looks wonderful! I hope you enjoy it!

I have a couple different recipes for Italian-style bean salads and they're both heavy on the olive oil.
  • t4nn1e
    t4nn1e Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I would choose...

Bruchetta classica

The goats cheese salad or the Pizza Margharita

I'm vegetarian xx

• cross2bear
    cross2bear Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    Thats a good point janejellyroll - I would ask that question then if thats what I was going to order.
  • exact0ninja
    exact0ninja Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Scottadito! Looks rather balanced. It's all about portion though.
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    Branzino con spec e asparagi - YUM! I like to order things that I don't make much and I've never made sea bass at home :)
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,981 Member
    Options
    If it was my first dinner out in a year, I would order what sounded best and log it to the best of my ability.
    tryett wrote: »
    First dinner out in over a year? I would pretty much get what I wanted and log it to the best of my ability.

I'm with these.

Personally, I'm liking the prawns and white beans for a starter, then, depending on how hungry I am and how much money I wanted to blow, any of the salads or, for the food and financial splurge, the calf's liver, lentils, and mashed potatoes. With the intention of not eating much of the potatoes if they're not as least as good as I make. But the veal and rib-eye sound good, and I'm curious about the mixed grilled fish.

Plus wine. And maybe an affogatto for dessert, if they serve that.

But I don't see much upside for either of us in your eating the food I would like :smile: so you should probably get what sounds good to you.
  • erinc5
    erinc5 Posts: 329 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    First meal out in a year... and you watched your intake before, and I'm assuming you will not eat out again for a while and you will watch your intake afterwards. If I were you I would get the mushroom/goat cheese starter (to share with at least 1 other person), then probably the rack of lamb, but if you are set on fish, go for the sea bass wrapped with ham. None of the sides really appeal to me - save some room for some coffee and a little dessert!
  • sylkates
    sylkates Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I would get the steak. It would be the easiest main to log since it sounds like it's the only one without a sauce other than balsamic, since I don't live vinegar much, I'd get it without that anyway. If it was way too many ounces once it arrived, I'd just be sad while logging it. I wouldn't get any starters unless the person I'm with wants some, in which case I'd suggest the prawns.
  • vczK2t
    vczK2t Posts: 309 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    ANY pasta dish with seafood or fish and veggies, tomato sauce and cheese. linguine al proformo di mare sounds good to me. I'm not much of a bread person and if the dish is something i can easily make from home or get at the grocery, i'm not gonna pay those prices. I agree with many that i would just order what i want and the heck with the calories. i would enjoy myself. but i also like wine, so i would be including that.
  • jessiferrrb
    jessiferrrb Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    mmm, i would go for the salmon, sauce on the side, and the spinach - but maybe ask them to go light on the oil when they sautee.
  • ridge4mfp
    ridge4mfp Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    The mushroom/goat cheese starter, rib-eye steak and the peas.
  • tlflag1620
    tlflag1620 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    I'd get the caprese for starters, then the ribeye with the spinach side. But I eat low carb, so I'm not worried about fat :D.