My MFP Experience - 1200kcal too low? Reached plateau?

Options
Dear all,

About one year ago I decided to start with MFP in order to lose weight, I am 169cm and at that time I weighed 70kg - it is not bad but still a BMI which was a bit on the higher side. I decided that I wanted to lose weight fairly quickly and started with a 1200kcal per day diet, one day I was a bit more lenient than the other but in general I stuck to this for quite some time (I think for 5-6 months for sure). In the time span of 1 year I lost about 10kg, and recently I gained 2kg back. My goal weight is around 58-60kg and I wish to maintain this once I reached it, but losing the last couple of kgs seems to be quite difficult despite the fact that I became more active.

I do need to admit that I am currently enrolled in a Master programme which causes very high stresslevels and result in days in which I go wayyyy over this 1200kcal limit (I am vegan and eat glutenfree so my binges mainly involve nuts, nutbutter, dark chocolate, granola and even bananas (??)). However, this is not something which occurs "frequently" (no more than 1 time per week or even less) and aside from these moments I usually eat between 1200-1500kcal now. The thing is that I've read quite some articles claiming that 1200kcal is really not good. I would love to reach my goal weight but I do not want to eat less than 1200kcal and I am afraid once I eat more I will continue gaining weight (as I gained 2kg already). Anyone who has some thoughts to share on this?

According to an online calculator my BMR is around 1450 and my TDEE around 1740 (although this did not include bootcamp trainings which I attend 2-3 times a week and are HIIT trainings of approx 45 mins).

Kind regards,

Sam

Replies

• witheredbonniesteam
    witheredbonniesteam Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Hi Sam,

you have no idea how similar you're binges sound to mine, when you put the ??) for the bananas, I felt that you were writing for me ;) let me just tell you that you are not the only one, I'm amazed at how similar you're story is to mine, I started a new stage in my life where stress was a big thing and tried to stay around 1800 per day but would constantly overeat after one night where I ate some bread for the first time in about 4 months. I remember I had that one slice and then like 3 more bc I had taken no food with my vitamins. I am starting fresh once more though, and I know how difficult it can be, but I promise that this will get better. I think it might be good for you to maybe look into how many calories your body needs to function as I see you are doing a lot of training and are active which is awesome by the way, but just make sure that you give your body what it needs, please don't go under 1200, as it sounds too low in my opinion.

i know that it's scary seeing weight gain,but it's important to consider it may be muscle gain, or water retention;I'm not a professional or anything, but I've gained some of the weight back as well, my issue being that after restricting so much I binge. But that aside, I'm determined to find what's best for my health, Please don't take my words too seriously, as I too am going through some challenges. I wish you all the best, and hope that you continue on you're journey bc it sounds like you're doing great :)

• m170
    m170 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi 'witheredbonniesteam',

Thank you so much for your answer, it is great to know I am not the only one (also with regards to the weird banana binges haha). Also about the bread, I stopped buying/baking it because if I am in binge-mode a whole loaf can disappear within no time it's just horrible. I think even though upping my daily kcal intake is 'scary' and I am afraid to gain, you are probably right about perhaps increasing it a bit now I am more active.
    It is great to hear that you are starting fresh once more and that you're so determined to find out what works best for you to stay healthy. I am going to make a fresh start as well, still track my calories but perhaps be less restrictive to avoid binges. What works the best for me during stressful periods is NOT to be at home where my fridge and cupboard is just around the corner for my desk, haha. Until I have my stresslevels under control I should avoid the temptation... I wish you all the best too on your journey but you sound so determined and ready to go for it that I am sure you'll do great!! :smile:
  • witheredbonniesteam
    witheredbonniesteam Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Mi so glad that you're trying being less restrictive and still tracking your calories :smile: the bananas make me laugh, and smile though bc you're the first I've heard that binged on them like I used to sometimes I still do, but hey today's a new day.
    The bread, omggg I ugh, even today I still crave it especially with peanut butterbut I know it will not help me get to where I want, you sound so determined in your message Sam, I can tell you too are going to follow through with your plan ! Being home is challenging but I'll make it ;) message me or add me if you like and one more thing, YOU GOT THIS !!!