Protein

Options
How can I get more protein into my diet? I know I need a lot, and I try to eat eggs, chicken, and stuff like that but I sitll can't seem to get my protein up.

Replies

• songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    Oh man, you hair is SO COOL!!!!!

For protein...edamame, yogurt, kefir...all yummy healthy sources of protein.
  • hstallings13
    hstallings13 Posts: 306
    Options
    cottage cheese is one of my favorites :)
  • stanvoodoo
    stanvoodoo Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    Try protein shakes and/or powder. Just look for ones with 25grams or more of protein.

Powder can be added to lots of things, scrambled eggs, cereal, oatmeal, yogurt, etc.... or made into shakes or smooties!

Best of Luck!

Looked at Diary, work on reducing calories some and the fat and protein is just a bit low. You will find the balance that works for you!
  • saltyphoenix
    saltyphoenix Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Have you ever tried that Greek Yogurt? You can find it in most grocery stores and it is loaded with protein! I also try to sneak in beans here and there...it seems to help and makes things like salads keep me more full!
  • PinUpMommy
    PinUpMommy Posts: 94
    Options

Thanks! I love it too :)
  • PinUpMommy
    PinUpMommy Posts: 94
    Options
    BUMP!
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options

Thanks! I love it too :)

It's like Ariel from The Little Mermaid :D I tried to get my hair that red but it just doesn't stick.
  • earthsember
    earthsember Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    I try to go for high protein - and I've been making these, although I switch out the sweetener for raw honey (and I use a bit less than the amount of sweetener it calls for anyway, I love natural unsweetened peanut butter) and I don't add the pieces of peanuts. http://coconut-desserts.blogspot.com/2010/02/coconut-flour-peanut-butter-cookies.html You can peek at my diary today for the nutritional breakdown :) Low carb, a pretty protein kick for the calorie amount, and delicious!

Other than that, tuna, cottage cheese, beans (maybe make a homemade bean dip to keep the cals down and then dip veggies or some baked tortilla chips in it), yoghurt, kefir (I make homemade, the store bought stuff is just a big bucket of sugar!), etc. You can never go wrong with a handful of nuts either - just measure out the serving because those pack in the calories!
  • pkpzp228
    pkpzp228 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    take a look at your diet... take a look at my diet. I regularly get more than 100g a day. If you want to increase your protein intake than you need to start eating more protein. I know that sounds rhetorical but really, you need to shoot for a clean source of protein with every meal.

You're eating a lot of carbs and I'm not going to tell you to change that if it's working for you but in terms of protein try something like:

- Skip the cereal for breakfast, eat a fruit and some eggs or greek yogurt, maybe a protein shake instead.
    - for a snack have a protein bar or a protein shake.
    - for lunch have a salad... with double the protein.
    - dinner is easy, chicken, fish, red meat...

Don't be a victim of the convenience or abundance of carbohydrate based food options in today's world. Point being don't be limited to the gut bomb carb options that places offer, engineer your own solution. Go to a sub shop and tell them to put on double the met and skip the bread, wrap everything in lettuce and have an unwich, cut it up in a bowl and turn a 500 calorie, 60 carbohydrate sub into a 200 calorie 60 protein power lunch.

You just have to go out of your way to make the options work for you.
  • Lynwilli
    Lynwilli Posts: 28
    Options
    Try legumes- beans. Lentils, Navy beans, Kidney beans are great low calories.