Constant food cravings

Options
I seem to have a constant craving for food even if I've just had a meal, I wonder why this is or is it habit?

Replies

• GeoBaybee
    GeoBaybee Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I suffer from this as well, and I honestly think it's just a mind game, at least that's what I tell myself. I always keep fruits or vegetables on me to help curb my cravings.
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    How much are you eating? Are you being too restrictive? Could you possibly need more protein or fats?
  • angeljo2015
    angeljo2015 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I try to aim for about 15-1800 calories as my job is heavy
  • vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    Craving isn't hunger -- hunger is a biological need, craving is a psychological desire. You might have a look at mindful eating as a strategy for dealing with the cravings:

http://thecenterformindfuleating.org

I went in for surgery yesterday, and for a couple of weeks before I had cravings in the evening; this was due to the fear I had in anticipation of the surgery. It is, as GeoBayBee says, a mind game. My temptation is to stuff food mindlessly into my pie hole to deal with the pain of my anxiety. Obviously, not a very good strategy for dealing with anxiety.
  • Vegplotter
    Vegplotter Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Cravings mean you feel hungry. This is a novel experience for a dieter. When we are getting fat we are eating more than we need, so we never get hungry. If an overweight person misses a meal their body has a ready store of fat to use.
    Once you start dieting your body starts using up the fat store, so the messages of hunger will start to come through.
    When do you get the cravings?
    It is good (and normal) to feel hungry before a meal. But perhaps your diet food doesn't seem so alluring? Try some new recipes. There are loads on the blog of this site.
    Are you leaving it too long between meals?
    A snack at mid morning and mid afternoon might help. (Though keep within your calorie limit)
    Learn to savour that feeling of hunger. It means your diet is working and you are more in touch with your body. But just don't give in to the gremlins in a completely different part of your mind that try to translate a simple message from your hormones, 'I'm hungry now, time for a snack.' into 'Get me into a McDonalds NOW'.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,982 Member
    Options
    What did you do with the advice you received in your other thread? http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/comment/36622908#Comment_36622908

On that thread I asked you:

Are you logging elsewhere? You diary is blank for the last week.

What are your macros (percent of carbs, fat, and protein)? When I don't get enough protein in relationship to carbs I can eat and eat and eat and never feel satisfied.
  • endlessfall16
    endlessfall16 Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    Craving, hunger is part biological need and part conditioning. After your biological need is met, ie you have enough nutrition, there's work to do to retrain that conditioning part (ultimately ignore and be ok with it). Again, it's work.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    CooCooPuff wrote: »
    How much are you eating? Are you being too restrictive? Could you possibly need more protein or fats?

This^

Don't eliminate foods. Don't cut calories too severely. I allow myself a sweet treat every single day. Because I know "I can have it".......at the end of the day, there is less temptation. Learning to manage portion sizes for treats will help me during maintenance because I sure as heck can't go back to my old habits.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    If it gets bad I eat some tree nuts and drink some water. I love my almonds and walnuts