Why did I gain weight?

Options
I've been consuming about 1500-1700 calories per day, and working out (running, cycling, hiit, Pilates, whatever) 3-5 days a week. My Fitbit says I burn about 2300-2500 calories a day.

Last week I weighed 142. This week it's gone up to 145.

It may be water weight. But I'm looking for some validation, haha. I just want to be reassured all my hard work isn't for nothing!

Replies

• Libby283
    Libby283 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    1500-1700 is my maintain allotment. To lose, I have to exercise and be around 1200.
  • luciroo
    luciroo Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    @Libby283 - everyone is different - 1500-1700 is what I eat to lose....

OP, sometimes it takes more than a week to see a loss. And yes it could be fluid/water weight. I weigh daily because I know I tend to fluctuate, so daily shows me the average trend during time. Also, are you weighing - not measuring (cups, spoons) but weighing on a food scale everything you eat? Weighing is much more accurate. I know some people use the labels/scan, but weighing is still more accurate. And be sure you are using the correct listing on MFP for a food - for example the other day here someone was saying MFP said their bacon was way over what bacon's calories are.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Excess sodium intake, new or increased exercise, hormones (especially related to TOM), stress...those can all cause your weight to fluctuate.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    Where are you in your menstrual cycle? I gain at ovulation and right before my TOM. Because of this (and because Lyle McDonald said to) I compare myself to last month, not last week.
  • terbusha
    terbusha Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options
    If you're normally maintaining weight at that calorie range, then it's probably fluid retention for some reason or another. Our weight bounces around all the time by a few lbs either way. That can be influenced by a lot of things from sleep, stress, salt intake, and more. Keep working it! It's best to look at a weekly average for weight to get a better idea of where you're sitting. If you average a few days together, it'll level out the spikes you can see form day to day.
  • JoshuaMcAllister
    JoshuaMcAllister Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    I've been consuming about 1500-1700 calories per day, and working out (running, cycling, hiit, Pilates, whatever) 3-5 days a week. My Fitbit says I burn about 2300-2500 calories a day.

Last week I weighed 142. This week it's gone up to 145.

It may be water weight. But I'm looking for some validation, haha. I just want to be reassured all my hard work isn't for nothing!

Validation on 3lbs? That is barely above the margin of error on most scale sets.

It's not weight gain but fluctuation. You will NOT always remain the same weight over the course of a day or a week.