Weighing yourself

Hi, So I reached my current goal last week and I was wondering how one gets comfortable with the idea of weighing themselves only once per week. I have been weighing myself twice per day during my journey, and I obsess over a pound or any potion thereof. I know that one's weight fluctuates throughout a week while in maintenance, and I know that I need to stop obessing, but I'm wondering if you get to a point where this comes more naturally or if you just have to tell yourself to let it go.

Replies

• ddavenport63
    ddavenport63 Posts: 74 Member
    i only weigh once a week , i found weighing everyday messes with your head
  • kirstenb13
    kirstenb13 Posts: 181 Member
    I still weigh myself every day (unless I'm away from a scale...), I find it helps me to stress less now in maintenance that I see that my weight fluctuates wildly and it will go down eventually again but that this is completely normal. I also keep track in libra so I can look back. It doesn't stress me at all anymore, quite the opposite actually, I feel in total control over my weight.
    With once a week I would also be worried that I forget it a lot and then it would stress me way more. But that's just me, people are really different, but there is definitely no rule not to weigh yourself daily.
  • Theresa_1973
    Theresa_1973 Posts: 51 Member
    I weigh myself once a week (wednesday) but I only log it on my account once a month, usually the 15th of the month.

xXx
  • xbowhunter
    xbowhunter Posts: 930 Member
    Pick a day & only weigh once per week. I know it's hard to walk by the scale but it must be done. :)

I weigh in every Friday just to ensure I am going in to the weekend with a good weight because depending what my plans are I tend to either eat too much or not enough on the weekends.
  • EttaMaeMartin
    EttaMaeMartin Posts: 303 Member
    i have scale phobia. i know how much i have lost, but try to weigh less and how my clothes fit and how i look more importance. i am in the same size 4 that i was when i was 15 pounds less, but this time i am a daily yogi and have more muscle mass. same size, different weights.
  • victoria_1024
    victoria_1024 Posts: 915 Member
    I weigh daily. It helps me to just keep my healthy habits in mind to start the day doing it. But I definitely don't obsess, more just to check in.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    I weigh every morning. I know I'm going to fluctuate. If I did it once a week or once a month I'd pay too much attention to it.
  • neohdiver
    neohdiver Posts: 738 Member
    So who says you need to get comfortable weighing yourself once a week? There's no reason to treat the scale differently during maintenance than during weight loss.
  • jennarandhayes
    jennarandhayes Posts: 456 Member
    neohdiver wrote: »
    So who says you need to get comfortable weighing yourself once a week? There's no reason to treat the scale differently during maintenance than during weight loss.

It's just that I'm trying to figure out how to be less obsessive. Maybe that won't do the trick, but calories/weight occupies most of my headspace at the moment.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    I still weigh most days as I like to track my weight on an app and see the average trend.
    Its a matter of preference, fluctuations happens even at maintenance, I prefer to understand why they happen and know not to worry.
    Its good to have a goal range of +/- 5lbs so if you reach either end then you know to take action.
  • dlmciver
    dlmciver Posts: 149 Member
    Personally, weighing daily keeps me on track. I have set a five pound target range of 126-131. I, too, am trying to shift the focus from the number itself, and more to physical activity growth. If my weight is between 126 - 128, I try to just hop off the scale. I log the exact weight if it is out of that smaller range. At 130, I'd be ready to reduce calories back to loss range. I've lost 144 pounds, and have successfully maintained for five months, without ha to do that.
  • griffinca2
    griffinca2 Posts: 672 Member
    I'm in maintenance and weigh myself on Sun, Mon, Wed, & Fri; helps keep me on track and negates any fluctuations. I don't obsess; if I over indulge, I cut back for a few days. It's a process & lifestyle not a "diet" or a project with and end date.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    At one point calories used a ridiculous amount of my headspace. Four years in, it doesn't any more. It's not that I do things differently, it's just that it's a habit. So I get up in the morning, go to the bathroom, get on the scale, and brush my teeth. It's just what I do. Just like I eat, I log, I do the next thing. I don't think about it at all. For me, making it a routine habit meant I think about it less. If I had to make decisions (is this the day I weight?) would require thought. And there are more interesting things to think about than weight and calories.

Just my two cents.
  • JustMissTracy
    JustMissTracy Posts: 6,339 Member
    edited June 2016
    I'm in maintenance now too, so I try to rely on how things fit and how I FEEL. I try not to weigh too often, I find I still want to see the scale drop, even though it shouldn't. Instead, I weigh every two to three weeks.
  • BikeTourer
    BikeTourer Posts: 191 Member
    Weighing daily is not obsessive. Do it at about the same time, mornings is better. Weighing more than once a day it not very helpful and not recommend.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,964 Member
    I'm 8 pounds from maintenance. I don't think I will stop weighing daily. It doesn't mess with my head and I don't think it is obsessive. I keep track on a trend app and it really helps me to stay focused on having good eating habits.
  • Amanda_1973
    Amanda_1973 Posts: 28 Member
    I've only weighed in twice a week, with Saturday's weight being the # I will log on MFP, since I started this journey back in January and that's been working great, so I suspect I'll be keeping that up. I'm 2 lbs away from my goal (so anxious for this) but very nervous about the maintenance side, I don't want to unravel the hard work that I've put into this journey and now that it's off and I'm feeling better and fitting better in clothes I don't want it to go back on.
  • Mike02209
    Mike02209 Posts: 301 Member
    I wake up, walk to the kitchen, turn on the Kuerig, turn on my computer, then step on the scale (t-shirt and undies only) every morning. I like to see a loss, but I don't get overly worried abut the number, helps keep me on track.
  • xbowhunter
    xbowhunter Posts: 930 Member
    Every Friday on the medical scale @ work. I don't have a scale @ home...