Will going over my calories a couple of times wipe out my progress?

Options
I've been eating around 1300 calories most days and exercising for 30-40 mins a few days a week, a couple of days last week I went out with friends and ate around 2000 calories. I'm 5'3, 142lbs and my fitbit says I burn around 2000 calories a day. Will those couple of days wipe my progress?

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    If you're only at maintenance, no. You just won't lose as much for the week.
  • ladyraiah
    ladyraiah Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    It might slow it a bit this week, but shouldn't wipe it out completely. If you use the app, you can look at the nutrition tab under week view/net calories. If you are still in a deficit, you are still losing.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    No

It may take you a couple days longer to reach your goal, but eating to approximately your maintenance level isn't enough to make you gain fat back. You may see water retention/food weight for a few days to a week, but it's temporary.
  • chazznittt
    chazznittt Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    ladyraiah wrote: »
    It might slow it a bit this week, but shouldn't wipe it out completely. If you use the app, you can look at the nutrition tab under week view/net calories. If you are still in a deficit, you are still losing.

Hey could you explain that to me please? What should the weekly net be to lose weight? Thanks
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    If your fitbit number and your food calorie estimates are both accurate at 2000 cals then you have delayed getting to goal weight by two whole days!

Not really a big deal is it?

Enjoy your time with your friends without regret or guilt.
  • ladyraiah
    Options
    @chazznittt If you look at that tab, under the graph it says "Net Calories Under (or Over) Weekly Goal" If it still says you are at or under your weekly goal, you are still losing as your profile was set up to put you into a deficit. The Net Calories = Calories Consumed - Exercise Calories. I find this tab incredibly helpful and motivating, especially after a day when I've eaten more than I planned.

hxj78dufrsim.png

• chazznittt
    chazznittt Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    @ladyraiah so the lower the number the more you will lose?
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    chazznittt wrote: »

Personally, I'd say the closer you are to that black line, the healthier, happier and more sustainable the work will be.

Lower isn't ALWAYS better.
  • ladyraiah
    Options
    WBB55 wrote: »
    chazznittt wrote: »

Personally, I'd say the closer you are to that black line, the healthier, happier and more sustainable the work will be.

Lower isn't ALWAYS better.

I agree. I aim to be within 100 calories either direction. Obviously I'm not always successful. This makes sure I get to still have the foods I enjoy, stress less, and not be hungry all the time. I don't know about you, but I hate being hungry.
  • kenziedriscoll
    kenziedriscoll Posts: 32 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Ooook, hello! I'm completely new to this. Have been doing it for a week. I came across this post and saw the pic above. I am a work in progress clearly. Based on the comments above, does this graph look correct? I mean, am I doing something right? PS sorry to do this on your post, OP! egq76ojt34a4.png
  • ajc1309
    ajc1309 Posts: 255 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Just do the math... Your maintenance is 2000. It takes 3500 calories to gain a pound.
  • Guns_N_Buns
    Guns_N_Buns Posts: 1,899 Member
    Options
    Ooook, hello! I'm completely new to this. Have been doing it for a week. I came across this post and saw the pic above. I am a work in progress clearly. Based on the comments above, does this graph look correct? I mean, am I doing something right? PS sorry to do this on your post, OP! egq76ojt34a4.png

Yes.
  • STEVE142142
    STEVE142142 Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    What you have to remember is this is a long-term Journey not a short Sprint. What you have to remember is this is not a diet it's a lifestyle change. A diet is miserable they fail you sacrifice. January 1st I started off at 288 pounds. As of today I'm 231 pounds.

At the end of March I went on vacation for a couple days. At that point I was about 250 pounds. I ate too much I drank too much I had a damn good time and I wouldn't trade it for anything. Found a great bunch of local Dives that had unbelievable food. Easily blew my calorie goal each day by at least a thousand calories maybe more.

If you do this once a month or for one weekend it probably really won't affect you that much . On the other hand if you continuously do this yes it will cause you to gain weight.