Pay it forward at the gym.

Options
So, I was at the gym today (as usual) and there was this lady on the elliptical two machines down from me. She was heavier than I was and going a little slower than I was but I noticed how she kept pushing through no matter what. It got me thinking when I used to be that way. I couldn't stay on those machines long and now I can stay on them forever. I usually get off when I'm bored, and my speed is always increasing. I wanted to tell that lady that I noticed her and wanted to tell her what a great job she was doing even if it wasn't for as long or as fast as she wanted too. Getting up and deciding to do something about changing your life is a BRAVO in my book. Anyways, when I was done with my work out I couldn't find her anymore.

The point of this thread is that I want each and everyone of you to pay it forward at the gym. Compliment someone on all of their hard work. I bet you it would make their day and continue to motivate them in shredding those pounds. I know if anyone ever said something to me I would be incredibly flattered.

Feel free to post your comments below. I'd love to see what people are saying :heart:

Replies

• JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    Wow that was really cool of you. Unless they're already friends it seems as if most people just want to avoid each other, which I kinda understand because most of us are on a time crunch.

Two weeks ago this guy came up to me while I was doing pull-ups and complimented me and talked about how he was so bad at it and was upset. So I watched him do some and showed him a couple grips to help build his strength so he could progress. He was really cool, most guys don't want to hear anything.
  • davidrt
    davidrt Posts: 162
    Options
    we are here for each other, on here and at the gym, never be afraid to say something to someone, it will help her ego and make you a new workout buddy
  • RTricia
    RTricia Posts: 720
    Options
    Even a smile can be a symbol of love. :flowerforyou:

Everyone needs it!!
  • Kimbie500
    Kimbie500 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    Great idea! You have a lovely and generous spirit! I hope you see that lady again soon and have the opportunity to follow that impulse.
  • missxchelly
    missxchelly Posts: 180
    Options
    Wow that was really cool of you. Unless they're already friends it seems as if most people just want to avoid each other, which I kinda understand because most of us are on a time crunch.

Two weeks ago this guy came up to me while I was doing pull-ups and complimented me and talked about how he was so bad at it and was upset. So I watched him do some and showed him a couple grips to help build his strength so he could progress. He was really cool, most guys don't want to hear anything.

That's really awesome. I bet he very much appreciated that :wink:
  • get_fit2009
    get_fit2009 Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    It is always good to say something encouraging and positive to someone, at the gym or otherwise. :smile:
  • tasoconnor
    tasoconnor Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    I think that is a really great attitude. Thank you for sharing. I for one would feel flattered that someone noticed my effort also.
  • AnneMK5
    AnneMK5 Posts: 110
    Options
    I think that's a fantastic idea. If I went to the gym (I walk outside or use workout dvds at home) I would absolutely do that.
    Maybe you'll see her there again and can do it. Or maybe you'll see someone else to "pay it forward" to.
  • frugalmomsrock
    frugalmomsrock Posts: 1,123
    Options
    I just did this Monday. :) There's a lady that works her butt off and I noticed some inches shredding. I told her that I noticed her hard work was paying off. She was really happy and we struck a little conversation up. She's very nice. When I got to the gym on Tuesday, the manager told me how awesome I looked. It does feel great!
  • abellone7289
    abellone7289 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    It was the best feeling when someone complimented me at the gym last week. He told me he was impressed with the amount of weight I able to use, and then suggested other machines I could use to trim my belly, "Not that you have very far to go at all" It put a smile on my face after a bad day and made me finish my work out strong instead of getting lazy.

Definitely looking to pay it forward next time I work out. =)
  • missxchelly
    Options
    It was the best feeling when someone complimented me at the gym last week. He told me he was impressed with the amount of weight I able to use, and then suggested other machines I could use to trim my belly, "Not that you have very far to go at all" It put a smile on my face after a bad day and made me finish my work out strong instead of getting lazy.

Definitely looking to pay it forward next time I work out. =)

That's amazing. I'm waiting for someone to notice that I've been there everyday and have lost 12 pounds and some inches. LOL not even friends have said anything to me though.
  • abellone7289
    abellone7289 Posts: 70 Member
    Options

That's amazing. I'm waiting for someone to notice that I've been there everyday and have lost 12 pounds and some inches. LOL not even friends have said anything to me though.

12 pounds is amazing! I give you kudos for that. I'm struggling to get past 3 haha. And I'm sure someone will notice soon. Sometimes it takes a while for people you see a lot to notice. My brother dropped 18 pounds before I realized he had been losing weight at all and he looks awesome! I don't know how I missed it. I'm sure your friends will be saying the same to you soon. Keep it up!
  • grover0ca
    grover0ca Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    Being on the receiving end of a postive comment after a workout a few weeks ago I can tell you how much a few words like this is really appreciated..it makes a person feel fabulous! It is very thoughtful of you to want to do this!
  • missxchelly
    Options

12 pounds is amazing! I give you kudos for that. I'm struggling to get past 3 haha. And I'm sure someone will notice soon. Sometimes it takes a while for people you see a lot to notice. My brother dropped 18 pounds before I realized he had been losing weight at all and he looks awesome! I don't know how I missed it. I'm sure your friends will be saying the same to you soon. Keep it up!

Yeah plus I see these people everyday. You usually don't notice it as much when you see someone everyday.
  • MaryHester
    MaryHester Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I totally agree with you. That's what we need to do. Complimenting an effort can make somebody's day.

It's been so many times that I've seen people working their butt off at the gym and I'm dying inside willing to tell them about MFP (for which I'm so grateful for). I haven't done it because I'm afraid they'll feel offended thinking that I'm saying they're over weight. I also thought about printing some business cards that only say :myfitnesspal.com" and give them to everybody I think could use the help, but again, I'm afraid they'll think I'm just trying to sell something. haha. Anyways, my last idea was to print them out and just leave them at the gym in every machine. I'm still thinking about it. =0)
  • Josephine237
    Josephine237 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I could be the lady 2 machines down. I could only do 5 minutes at first. Now I can complete the weight loss program, which is 30 minutes. I am determined to conquer this machine. Just want you to know I appreciate your post...Thanks for the encouragement. So you didn't "miss" the lady....she's right here . Im 52 and a cancer survivor...now Im fighting to become fit for life.
  • missxchelly
    Options
    I could be the lady 2 machines down. I could only do 5 minutes at first. Now I can complete the weight loss program, which is 30 minutes. I am determined to conquer this machine. Just want you to know I appreciate your post...Thanks for the encouragement. So you didn't "miss" the lady....she's right here . Im 52 and a cancer survivor...now Im fighting to become fit for life.

Are you really the lady?! O.o
  • pkpzp228
    pkpzp228 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    That's a great gesture, thanking the person next to me for sharing their mat, even if they're a stranger is an effort I make after a yoga class. Attitudes are reflections and negative or positive the energy you project is exactly what you get.
  • withchaco
    withchaco Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    I have mild prosopagnosia (impaired ability to recognize/remember faces) so this would be very hard for me. This is great for anyone who can do it though. Encouragement and positivity are super important.
  • Solat37_Neil
    Solat37_Neil Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I never speak to anyone at the gym, and barely even make eye contact with people..I'm worried if I compliment a girl she's gonna think I'm hitting on her, and If I compliment a guy he's gonna think I'm a bit "brokeback mountain" :laugh:

Guess it's the old English way, we never speak to anyone we don't know, be it on the train, in the street whatever.. Kinda lame really :frown: