stupid idea: long distance hike?

Replies

• ROBOTFOOD
    ROBOTFOOD Posts: 5,527 Member
    Doable. Go for it! I did a 6 day in Yosemite. Was epic!
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,388 Member
    ROBOTFOOD wrote: »

How did you train for it? Or did you not train at all?
  • jonthemusse
    jonthemusse Posts: 106 Member
    You can do it no problem. Even in bad shape and no real prior training for those distances. There is a caveat though: you won't be comfortable, and probably wont be walking straight for a week.

As a full on hike with tens of pounds of gear in your back, not feasible outside x-games or military, but with just safety gear, light lunch, half a dozen good socks and _well worn_ shoes it's only a question of how far you want to push the discomfort. Three worsening days in a row.

Background: Finnish commando ages ago, (basically just walking ridiculous distances with a house on your back), extensive hiking trips -mostly starting cold- around the world, and currently Rogaine, which is orienteering usually for 24 hours straight. I do that once or twice a year, with no preparation. It hurts like hell, and the last 8 hours are basically a mental game, but usually I clock about 60 miles on hilly terrain. Straight asphalt is worse. Much worse.
  • jonthemusse
    I forgot to say that you should do it. Just be mentally prepared to back off. 25 miles four days in a row is no joke.
  • jonthemusse
    And that you need to run occasionally, walk backwards, on your hands, anything to break the monotony for your legs.
  • yirara
    Thanks a lot @jonthemusse Should be fun, such undertaking :smiley: Fortunately I don't plan to carry 10s of pounds of stuff around. I'm very much into traveling light and don't mind wearing the same pants and shirt for four days in a row. Hey, if husband and me go on summer vacation we're usually find with sharing one 20-25kg bag, and that's including hiking boots and snorkeling stuff.
  • jonthemusse
    I got mildly exited for you. The game changes a bit with distances that long, especially when it is something new to your body. There's a plethora of small things you can do to help ease the grueliness of it all.

Off the topic my head:

Wear nothing new. Everything should be worn and tested to the hilt.

Drink like there's no tomorrow. Salts too. The game is over if you start cramping.

Prefer gravel and grass to asphalt, and take stairs and hills whenever you can.

Even with that much ground to cover, it's really only about ten hours a day at a good clip, but you can't stop for too long on the way, especially on the later days, because sanity will creep on you when you cool down while eating that nice pub lunch.

Eat light and often. Light means light. Carbs mostly. Avoid protein, too hard to digest while moving. Worry about lost muscle mass later.

The list goes on...
  • jonthemusse
    One more, probably the most important one. If you get your feet wet, it becomes a grind. Even a little moist will kill your soft supple feet in four days. Don't do it in the monsoon season.

With that in mind, make sure you can change your socks at least once every day. Lightest possible shoes, so that you get them dry overnight.
  • yirara
    Thanks a lot! I thought about using my running shoes. They are comfy and I know them. Weather... Well this is the UK but the weather has been marvellous the last few months. I can still decide to cancel a few days ahead if the forecast is not good though. Water: yeah... I'm very much a hot weather girl and don't mind being active at close to 50C (that's over 120F?) or go on a day long hike at way over 30 C. But water is a given. And I'll check out those towns for thai massage salons for a relaxing oil massage.
  • jonthemusse
    edited June 2016
    You're welcome. You can PM for more pointers if you feel like, I enjoy being knowledgeable. It's UK, but as long as it doesn't pour down from day one, you should be ok.

Edit: I'm metric by birth, but how come you are?
  • yirara
    Well, I'm not British. but the UK is kind of metric anyway. They just haven't pulled it through properly yet. Temperatures in celsius, distances still in miles or occasionally yards (while it should be km or meters I think) and a weird mix of pints, grams, ml and pounds all around :s Guess this whole process might very well take another 20 years or so :D
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,479 Member
    Go for it! Sounds like a great adventure! My only suggestion is have a backup plan if you have to bail out early.
  • ROBOTFOOD
    ROBOTFOOD Posts: 5,527 Member
    yirara wrote: »
    ROBOTFOOD wrote: »

How did you train for it? Or did you not train at all?

Not much training. But I've been hiking, climbing my whole life. Distance running since 08.
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Doable. Train with a pack and the weight you will take with you, as the added weight will change your gait and make it harder on your feet.

Learn blister care. Take plenty of good socks.
  • ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member
    Thanks a lot! I thought about using my running shoes. They are comfy and I know them. Weather... Well this is the UK but the weather has been marvellous the last few months. I can still decide to cancel a few days ahead if the forecast is not good though. Water: yeah... I'm very much a hot weather girl and don't mind being active at close to 50C (that's over 120F?) or go on a day long hike at way over 30 C. But water is a given. And I'll check out those towns for thai massage salons for a relaxing oil massage.

Nooo my advice would be to avoid the running shoes.

I did a 15 mile hike last summer and wore my runners, thinking "it's flat, it will be fine"... NOPE. Miserable, 5-6 blisters, blood, could barely finish. I would get some good solid hiking boots with ankle support, and break them in before you go.
  • Vladimirnapkin
    Vladimirnapkin Posts: 299 Member
    Absolutely you should try this! Plan to eat a lot. Put Blister Shield on anything that might possibly rub. It sounds silly, but keep your shorts and socks clean. Grit and salt will eat you alive if you let it. If you get a mild irritation in your shoes or clothing, stop and deal with it before it becomes painful. The memory of this trek, even if it goes sideways, will stay with you forever.

(FYI, I'm not just talking out of my butt. I've completed many, many (30-40?) very long trail races, including 100 miles and 100K, and a Grand Canyon rim-to-rim-to-rim 2-day trek. I've crewed and worked these events, too.)
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    edited June 2016
    slimzandra wrote: »
    That sounds fun! I would just suggest you plan out in advance where you plan on setting down each night. Two reasons- One, it will keep you on pace, and Two, someone else knows you are due in at particular location. That way if you don't show up for whatever reason someone else knows about it. Phones and GPS don't always work off the beaten path. If you plan on camping outdoors, I suggest to do the hike with a buddy.

Well, it's not a remote path and there are towns and villages all along the way. Roads are also never far away. I certainly don't plan to camp. My pack will probably be below 5kg.

5 kg is extremely low, even for the fact you're not bringing a tent. Have you actually put the pack together and weighed it? Are you carrying sufficient gear in case of emergency?

Even my day pack is about 10 lb, and that's before food and water, which are at least another 7 lb. I hardly go around carrying nonessentials, either, although I certainly carry things I hope I never have to use (emergency gear).

24 miles a day is a lot, but if it's flat it may not be too bad. Why not start with trying a day hike on that trail and see how it goes? I.e. decide how long you will try to walk each day, go to the trail, hike half of that time outbound and then hike back to the beginning. The real test there is how you feel the next day.
  • scorpio516
    scorpio516 Posts: 955 Member
    ASKyle wrote: »

Nooo my advice would be to avoid the running shoes.

I did a 15 mile hike last summer and wore my runners, thinking "it's flat, it will be fine"... NOPE. Miserable, 5-6 blisters, blood, could barely finish. I would get some good solid hiking boots with ankle support, and break them in before you go.

I only hike in running shoes. Ankle support is a myth.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    As someone who hikes a good bit and does many single day distance events....I'm very hesitant to be encouraging for this endeavor without more preparation. Dry socks & foot care is huge, so is chaffing & rubbing of your clothes & gear. Your're going to need a TON of food. Wear the lightest shoes you have, I 100% disagree with the person that said no to the running shoes. There is far more chance that this is going to be a very miserable experience rather than a fun trip