Does running makes you want to...mmmmm....go?

Options
yanicka
yanicka Posts: 1,004 Member
To the bathroom?

After giving birth naturally to 5 kids it is a wonder that I don't pee on myself when I run but it always ...well makes me want to go to the bathroom for number 2 :embarassed: (sorry TMI) Since I want to run a few races next summer (5k, 10k and half m.) I can't imagine having that problem. Does it get any better? Or I jut have to plan my runs around bathroom? :happy:

Replies

• yanicka
    Options
    To the bathroom?

After giving birth naturally to 5 kids it is a wonder that I don't pee on myself when I run but it always ...well makes me want to go to the bathroom for number 2 :embarassed: (sorry TMI) Since I want to run a few races next summer (5k, 10k and half m.) I can't imagine having that problem. Does it get any better? Or I jut have to plan my runs around bathroom? :happy:
  • mommachag
    mommachag Posts: 318
    Options
    ive never had that issue. are you running early or late in the day?
  • johnblake
    johnblake Posts: 661
    Options
    do a little warm up like running around the block or the bathroom till the urge hits you
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

or you try Depends:laugh: :laugh: :sad: :laugh: :sad: :laugh: :sad: :laugh:
  • VballLeash
    VballLeash Posts: 2,456 Member
    Options
    ive never had that issue. are you running early or late in the day?

Thats strange, it might be what your eating before, or the night before if its early morning, I've never had that problem and I run almost every day, ask your doctor maybe!

~Leash
  • oomalmal
    oomalmal Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Actually it makes sense. Walking encourages bowel movments, so I would assume joggind does too. I'm a nurse and when I worked on post-partum we always encouraged our new moms to walk to get their bowels going.
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    A lot of people have that problem. Mine escalated to a level that landed me in a Dr's office (no I didn't go on myself LOL).

There are a few theories on why it happens:

Constant jarring of the intestines causes accelerated peristalsis.
    Abdominal muscles contracting rhythmically massage the area, causing more contractions or softening the stool.
    Too many carbohydrates--specifically from fruit--can increase gas in the intestines because digestion slows and bacteria have more time to act on the sugars.
  • natashak
    Options
    yesssss i completely understand
  • yanicka
    Options
    ahhhhhhhh thank you...I was starting to feel like a freak:laugh:

Right now I run at night on the treadmill (I am in montréal........way too cold!!!) and even if I am just a few feet from the bathroom, I do not like to stop my workout!!!! and I am thinking about next spring when I will go back outside....well maybe things will workout all by itself.
    Thank you everyone
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    ahhhhhhhh thank you...I was starting to feel like a freak:laugh:

Right now I run at night on the treadmill (I am in montréal........way too cold!!!) and even if I am just a few feet from the bathroom, I do not like to stop my workout!!!! and I am thinking about next spring when I will go back outside....well maybe things will workout all by itself.
    Thank you everyone

It may help to not eat for a couple hours before a run, fruit especially. Keep your pre-workout meal under 30 grams of carbohydrates, in studies it seems like that was a number that came up a lot. If it becomes worse, visit a gastroenterologist. The prescriptions they gave me have really changed everything.
  • TRLTAMPA
    TRLTAMPA Posts: 824
    Options
    This is very normal. Exercise in general would get things moving.
  • kolbif
    kolbif Posts: 83
    Options
    Oh my - this is one topic that I never wanted to post! But I am that way too!!!!!!!1
  • mazzle76
    Options
    dont forget to do your pelvic floor exercises... especially after having kids...
    everyone should be doing them!!!!