breastfeeding

Options
What is the amount of calories you burn on average due to breastfeeding. I do not want to put too mnay burned or too little because I do not know off the bat how many and want to lose healthily. I have to save up to get a HRM so I can tell what I am actually burning each day but I was wondering in general how many do you burn daily. I have it at 300 now but some people I see use 500.

Replies

• vitamina19
    vitamina19 Posts: 30
    Options
    I have seen 300 as the amount to add daily for breastfeeding.
  • Ahzuri
    Ahzuri Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    I believe in the first year it is 500 and after that its 300. You also need a minimum of 1800 calories in the beginning to maintain your supply but after it is established you can start lowering it a bit.

Here this link may help you, Kellymom.com is a great resource for breastfeeding
    http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/mom/mom-weightloss.html
  • DancinSMartiPants
    Options
    It really depends on your baby-- how much and how often she nurses. 300 is the usual number, but it varies greatly from person to person.
  • Angela4Health
    Angela4Health Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    If you're exclusively breastfeeding it should be 500 but if you're supplementing at all then it's 300
  • JezebelGL
    JezebelGL Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I've read anywhere from 300-800 per day. It probably varies depending on how old your baby is and how much they are nursing. My son is almost 15months and still nursing, but I personally don't count those calories anymore since he is only nursing 3-5 times a day and only for a few minutes each time.
  • Ahzuri
    Ahzuri Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    I've read anywhere from 300-800 per day. It probably varies depending on how old your baby is and how much they are nursing. My son is almost 15months and still nursing, but I personally don't count those calories anymore since he is only nursing 3-5 times a day and only for a few minutes each time.

Same I stopped counting them when my daughter turned 1 but shes still going at 20 months so I know I'm still burning something off.
  • pkksmama
    pkksmama Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    She is 2 months and I pump twice at work and feed on my lunch break and then at least 3 times before bed and 3 times during the night time/early morning. I couldnt tell you how much she feeds during the weekends. A lot is all I can say. I have established a rather large supply I think and pump around 6-11 each time I pump at work. On the weekends I pump in the morning still but feed her all day from me and not a bottle. I am supposed to be around 1880 without adding in the breastfeeding and I have just been setting it at the 300 that they offer to put in the food section. She still nurses anywhere from 15-30 minutes per side. Usually the latter but she does end up falling asleep at times. I am hoping to get a body bug or HRM soon to figure it out better!
  • pkksmama
    pkksmama Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    By the way thanks for the link! It did help me see where I shouldnt be! I wanted to lose around 1.5 a week anyways so it stays off and I do it the most healthy that I can!
  • JackieLM
    JackieLM Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    what is a body bug?
  • karisbrandes
    karisbrandes Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I've read that you burn 20 calories per 1 oz of milk produced. That's how I guesstimated my calories with my twins and it worked pretty well.