Some tips for your fitness journey

Options
Maria_Fatima
Maria_Fatima Posts: 238 Member
edited June 2016 in Health and Weight Loss
I'm no expert but I felt these might help.

- Listen to your body: Your body can give you many more signals than will scales and apps. All your measurements and plans may be offset if you don't listen to your body. There are several methods of achieving your weight-related goals. Choose what suits your body. For instance, If you feel unusually sore, take a break even if it means not meeting your weekly workout challenge.

-Be flexible: There is a fine line between being dedicated and being rigid. Being able to follow your plans and schedules to the mark is a great quality, but you shouldn't be reluctant to change if something isn't working out. For instance, when I started, my routine highly supported the idea of 2 large meals and research supports it too. But I realized it wasn't good for my body. My routine wouldn't incorporate 6 small meals so I switched instead to 3 meals, but low calories and low quantities. I feel much more light and active throughout the day now.

-Don't be afraid to try new things: Of course by this, I don't mean trying out a new flavor of Lay's or a new restaurant, I mean a new way of reaching your goals. Like I said before, there are several ways of reaching where you want, so don't be afraid to experiment. It may slow down your progress, but it may increase it, and that way, you can choose the best set of options. For instance, I had a proper set of exercises for my workout but they were a little too hard for a beginner. I tried out some applications and now I have my perfect set.

-Set realistic goals: It's easy to get over-excited in the process or overly critical of yourself. Don't set goals that are too off range and need consistent motivation. Remember, motivation alone won't get you through your journey and your plans should be such that you can put one foot in front of the other even on days when you're not super motivated.

-Use the weight scale smartly: The weighing scale doesn't know the difference between fat, water retention, muscle or bones. It judges everyone in a very standardized way. That's because it's not a human. But you are. You need to use the scale wisely. First, don't get obsessed with checking your weight. If you feel lighter, more active and healthier, whatever you're doing is working. If you are losing weight on the scale too, great, it can act as your measure of progress. But you will see more reduction initially than in later times, as the water weight is first to go. Also, if you are incorporating strength training too, you will watch an increase in weight but that is your lean muscle density and not fat. A person with a bigger build and bone structure will also be heavier on the scale. Measuring different parts of your body is a better idea.

-You are you: This weird phrase actually has a lot of implications for a person's fitness journey. What works for one person might not work for you, and your progress may be higher or lower than another person, so don't get too caught up with "But that's not what happened with him/her". Every person has a complex and unqiue body and its needs will vary just as much too. Calculations will guide you through the process but they're not the only thing.

Lastly, it might be a good idea to add that I have constant thyroid AND hormonal issues, which means I weigh more than my mom, and for me, disappointment in a fitness journey is not a stall in weight loss, it's a weight GAIN, even in days when I workout a lot and eat less. The point is only that I have witnessed thorough disappointments in this process, maybe you can take motivation from me. And if someone else has similar issues, we could talk and advise each other.

Replies

• kenziedriscoll
    kenziedriscoll Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Great read, thanks!
  • Maria_Fatima
    Options
    Thanks ^.^
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    I'm no expert but I felt these might help.

- Listen to your body: Your body can give you many more signals than will scales and apps. All your measurements and plans may be offset if you don't listen to your body. There are several methods of achieving your weight-related goals. Choose what suits your body. For instance, If you feel unusually sore, take a break even if it means not meeting your weekly workout challenge.

Some very good points in there. The only thing I would disagree with, in some instances, is the above. With regards to pain or physical changes, you are spot on. However, if people are making a big lifestyle change and decreasing calories significantly, then sometimes the hunger pangs, cravings and muscle soreness need to be ignored. Obviously this is at each persons disgression but going above and beyond the norm isn't always comfortable and body signals can be misinterpreted. For example people feel "hungry" but drinking water may stave this off for a few hours.
  • Maria_Fatima
    Options
    That's very true. I'll actually add that to the above. Thanks! :)
  • Maria_Fatima
    Options
    Wait, we can't edit the main post?
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options
    Overall I think this is a good post and I believe you have good intentions.
    I would change the part about meal timing. As meal timing is absolutely irrelevant as far as weight loss is concerned. If I ate 6 small 500 cal meals or if I ate two huge 1500 cal meals, i would still see the exact amount of weight loss. Meal timing has more to do with personal preference, satiety . But has very little to do with weight loss. People could read your post and assume you meant that smaller meals where better for weight loss
    Other then that, I agree with most of the above
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    It's also worth noting that muscle mass is not being gained in any measurable way whilst eating at a deficit and only minimally if eating at maintenance. So that would never explain lack of loss or increase on the scale. You can't magically gain anything, fat or muscle, to the point the scale goes up, without also eating at a surplus.
  • Maria_Fatima
    Options
    I would change the part about meal timing. As meal timing is absolutely irrelevant as far as weight loss is concerned. If I ate 6 small 500 cal meals or if I ate two huge 1500 cal meals, i would still see the exact amount of weight loss. Meal timing has more to do with personal preference, satiety . But has very little to do with weight loss. People could read your post and assume you meant that smaller meals where better for weight loss

Weight loss definitely is basically about calorie deficits but even then, research suggests that 2 large meals actually aid weight loss and help you lose it faster than the other alternatives (3 regular meals or 6 small meals). Because fitness isn't just about losing weight. It's about being healthier and improving your overall functioning. That being said, it's just one relevant point and not the whole picture.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options

Weight loss definitely is basically about calorie deficits but even then, research suggests that 2 large meals actually aid weight loss and help you lose it faster than the other alternatives (3 regular meals or 6 small meals). Because fitness isn't just about losing weight. It's about being healthier and improving your overall functioning. That being said, it's just one relevant point and not the whole picture.

Nope. Not true.
  • RoseTheWarrior
    RoseTheWarrior Posts: 2,035 Member
    Options
    It's also worth noting that muscle mass is not being gained in any measurable way whilst eating at a deficit and only minimally if eating at maintenance. So that would never explain lack of loss or increase on the scale. You can't magically gain anything, fat or muscle, to the point the scale goes up, without also eating at a surplus.

This is true. What most people experience when working out after being sedentary, or when working out harder than "normal" is water weight from muscle repair, not actual muscle being built. For instance, it would take a female a year to put on 5-10 lbs of muscle. So no, that 2 lbs you gained last week after your workout isn't muscle! But it IS helping your body recover, so chill out :smile:
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    randomtai wrote: »

Nope. Not true.

I agree. I lose the exact amount of weight eating either 2 large meals or several smaller meals per day. I don't stick to large or small meals; it varies for me day by day. Same results. It's all bout calories.
  • Maria_Fatima
    Options
    randomtai wrote: »

Nope. Not true.

I agree. I lose the exact amount of weight eating either 2 large meals or several smaller meals per day. I don't stick to large or small meals; it varies for me day by day. Same results. It's all bout calories.

Well, I've had a lot of people tell me that 2 meals worked better for them. Guess it just varies from person to person. 6 small meals don't work for me well. Low quantity 3 meals have helped me lose weight faster. It IS about the calories but sometimes other factors play a role too.
  • Maria_Fatima
    Options
    What other tips would YOU like to share?
  • Maria_Fatima
    Options
    Bumping up
  • Maria_Fatima
    Options
    Bumppp
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    K.I.S.S.
  • Maria_Fatima
    Options
    Bumping up for the second last time xD
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    You know, bumping something with misinformation is a bit pointless.