New exciting cardio ideas?

Options
I need help. I've been struggling with shoulder pain the last two weeks, and finally went to the dr. today. He gave me a steroid shot hoping it's just tedinitis. I'm sidelined from lifting for at least a week while we see if the shot works. I can still run and do cardio. I'm not a big runner though and usually just run a mile and a half before each workout to get my heartrate up. I need some new ideas of cardio routines to keep the next week or so exciting. P.S. Really hoping the shot works and it's not my rotator cuff like he thinks it might be.

Replies

• NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    I've had tendonitis, it felt like I was on fire but it went away. I hope that's what you have, and that it heals quickly.

Riding a bike is a lot like running, except fun. Try that. Borrow a bike if you have to, ride it like you stole it, and go up some hills at race pace.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    Options
    I don't often see "exciting" and "cardio" in the same sentence. B)

Try some of the agility and speed ladder drills on Youtube. Here are some examples: https://youtube.com/watch?v=je0y3jQ5N9A

Some find bleacher runs fun.

Not exactly cardio, but you can do jumping lunges to maintain lower body strength.

How'd you hurt your shoulder - the bench press?
  • mandyrene21
    mandyrene21 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I found a cardio kickboxing video on YouTube through popsugar fitness. It was challenging but I enjoyed it. According to my fitbit, I burned 450 calories (it is a 45 min video). You'll have to do your own stretches after since they don't do much in the video.
  • Oarsome_Fitness
    Oarsome_Fitness Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I'd be careful of cycling outdoors if you have a shoulder injury - the jarring of the bike on the road can send shudders through the shoulder/ neck!

I'd vote rowing and find some workout sessions to follow. Something like 8 x 500m with 2 min break in between each one should keep you going - try and keep the speed the same in each one - or get quicker but don't fly and die!
  • gamsmith05
    gamsmith05 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the ideas. As far as how I hurt it, I believe it started after a night that included overhead dumbbell press. The next night I ignored my body and did heavy sets of dumbbell bench and incline which finished the job.
  • Sassie_Lassie
    Sassie_Lassie Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    What can and can't you do as far as mobility of your shoulder?

I personally like Billy Blanks Tae-bo (go ahead and judge me! LOL). Lots of leg work, and ab work and the punches get the upper body. It's a really good workout.
  • DanyellMcGinnis
    DanyellMcGinnis Posts: 315 Member
    Options

I personally like Billy Blanks Tae-bo (go ahead and judge me! LOL). Lots of leg work, and ab work and the punches get the upper body. It's a really good workout.

I like the old Tae Bo videos (like so old they were available on VHS) but haven't seen good reviews of the newer ones (at least, not from people who remember the old ones like I do). Is there one you recommend?

I am personally a fan of Les Mills Combat (a discontinued Beachbody program although you can still get it on clearance from them now and can do new workouts from the Les Mills streaming program). It is a MMA-style program that I think is a little better executed than Tae Bo (as in, you don't do 40 reps of an exercise on one side and only 8 on the other).

Another cardio option I like is Urban Rebounding. It's pretty easy on the upper body; I used a fair amount of it during recovery from straining a pectoral muscle. But again, I find the old videos (say from 10-15 years ago) better than the new ones. At least those are still available on DVD.
  • bebeisfit
    bebeisfit Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    Skip, dance, hop and jump. Those will all get your heart rate up and don't require shoulder movement. You can get a deck of cards and assign an exercise to each suit, then do the number of reps or seconds/minutes for each card you pull. I like the idea...but have never really done it.
  • wilsoncl6
    wilsoncl6 Posts: 1,288 Member
    Options
    bebeisfit wrote: »
    Skip, dance, hop and jump. Those will all get your heart rate up and don't require shoulder movement. You can get a deck of cards and assign an exercise to each suit, then do the number of reps or seconds/minutes for each card you pull. I like the idea...but have never really done it.

We used to do these while I was in the military. We'd make up a list of exercises and then pull out a deck of cards and take turns pulling one and had to do the amount of reps of the exercise as the value of the card. I always got pissed when someone pulled a face card for burpees.
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    Cherimoose wrote: »
    Not exactly cardio, but you can do jumping lunges to maintain lower body strength.

How are jumping lunges not cardio?

• Sassie_Lassie
    Sassie_Lassie Posts: 140 Member
    Options

I like the old Tae Bo videos (like so old they were available on VHS) but haven't seen good reviews of the newer ones (at least, not from people who remember the old ones like I do). Is there one you recommend?

I am personally a fan of Les Mills Combat (a discontinued Beachbody program although you can still get it on clearance from them now and can do new workouts from the Les Mills streaming program). It is a MMA-style program that I think is a little better executed than Tae Bo (as in, you don't do 40 reps of an exercise on one side and only 8 on the other).

Another cardio option I like is Urban Rebounding. It's pretty easy on the upper body; I used a fair amount of it during recovery from straining a pectoral muscle. But again, I find the old videos (say from 10-15 years ago) better than the new ones. At least those are still available on DVD.

I've never done the really old VHS ones. I have a few of the newer ones and I personally like them. I've seen a lot of the one star reviews say they're not "hard enough" which is crap. I'm gasping, swearing, and giving the TV the one fingered salute during my workouts (and believe me when I say I'm far from out of shape). I'm also pretty sore the next day from it.

I got a one of his newer boot camp DVD's, they have 4 workouts in one, I have an "older" taebo advanced II DVD that has 2 workouts, I got his platinum collection (4 workouts in one), I have the ones where you use the bands too which is 2 dvd's, and another advanced one. I've done pretty much all of them with the exception of the ones that have weights because I go to the gym first.

I like them all but to be honest my favorite "go to" is the Taebo Advanced II.

(I do agree that in the old DVD's his count is way off. It's a bit better in the newer ones. The only issue I have is that I have to remember that his left is my right. If I don't I get confused and end up working one side more).
  • NorthCascades
    Options

wut

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQ_IQS3VKjA
  • gamsmith05
    gamsmith05 Posts: 7 Member
    Options

wut

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQ_IQS3VKjA

That would definitely be exciting!
  • NorthCascades
    Options
    I want those wheels. They cost $3K for a set.
  • Alidecker
    Alidecker Posts: 1,262 Member
    Options
    I jump rope for cardio, but I can't do that too long, but you could do a circuit of jump rope, jumping lunges, jump squats and add in some core work.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    Options

How are jumping lunges not cardio?

It gets the heart rate up, but the short duration of the sets and the intense pain makes it more like strength training than cardio.. especially when holding weights. :+1:
  • kimdawnhayden
    kimdawnhayden Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I'd suggest walking. Anything else will probably jar your shoulder. Turn on some tunes or listen to a podcast. Hope it heals soon.
  • Witchdoctor58
    Witchdoctor58 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Plyometrics