Solutions to hormonal imbalance

Options
Hi Ladies - (I only address ladies because I assume most men will skip by this little topic.)

I recently turned 50 (gasp!), and I'm having such a hard time dropping any weight. I've been up and down on the scale for the last 10-15 years, always needing to drop anywhere from 10 - 20 lbs. In the past, I could pretty easily drop at least 5-10 lbs within a few months. But NOW, I can't seem to drop anything.

For the past several months I have worked out 5-7 days a week. I eat a predominately plant based (with occasional fish/seafood 2-3 days a week, but NO meat), and my diet is really maybe 98% super healthy (please don't judge me on the chocolate chip cookies I recently made and ate far too many of, or the spoonfuls of Jiff peanut butter that I sometimes can't keep myself from eating in the evenings).

I know I must have a hormonal imbalance because I'm having pretty uncontrollable hot flashes throughout the day (this has been going on for about a year now, and was seeming to get better, but this past couple weeks have been AWFUL). I also cannot seem to get enough food to satisfy myself. I'm still counting calories and trying to stay between 1200-1500, and some days I do it, others I'm closer to 2000.

So now that the long intro is out of the way, I'm wondering if anyone else who is going thru, or gone through hormonal issues has any advise on what might be working for them.

I don't want synthetic crap in my body - I just want to find a healthy, natural solution...I'm open to any holistic, natural remedies anyone might have to share. I've got a trip to Catalina in a month and I'm feeling desperate!

Thanks so much!
p.s. If you are a man and have some knowledge, please do chime in as well! :)

Replies

• cross2bear
    cross2bear Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    Hormonal imbalance (aka menopause) is something that can be managed without drug intervention, BUT you should discuss the options with your health care provider. I opted for HRT due to unbearable symptoms, ones that black cohosh couldnt begin to control. We are all different, and need different approaches. Choose what is best for you after a full and frank medical discussion. Good Luck!
  • suzyjane1972
    suzyjane1972 Posts: 612 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Supplements will not balance hormones,they may lessen symptoms in some individuals...you want proper balanced hormones im afraid it the "synthetic crap" all the way. And it doesn't have to be hrt,there is one anti depressant they use which works very well to calm hot flushes
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    I know I must have a hormonal imbalance because I'm having pretty uncontrollable hot flashes throughout the day (this has been going on for about a year now, and was seeming to get better, but this past couple weeks have been AWFUL). I also cannot seem to get enough food to satisfy myself. I'm still counting calories and trying to stay between 1200-1500, and some days I do it, others I'm closer to 2000.

That could very well be your biggest problem - inconsistency.
  • MichPainter
    MichPainter Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Yes, I've considered that inconsistency is a big issue, except that my inconsistency is not that often, and I exercise like crazy...but you are right, I need to try to be completely consistent for a couple solids weeks with no "cheat meals" and maybe that will help. But honestly, I don't think that my occasional slip ups warrant no weight loss for several months.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,485 Member
    Options
    @michpainter
    As we enter menopause our fat storage starts to change from the estrogen based subcutaneous to the testosterone based visceral. This can lead to a number of problems that can affect your weight loss. Type 2 diabetes for example. Have a physical with a blood panel just to make sure you have no medical issues that could slow your weight loss. Proper medication will help if it is needed.

We do naturally slow as we age. So even though you feel like you are exercising like crazy, up your daily everyday movements as well.

As far as exercise goes, if you are not doing some form of resistance work already, now is a good time to start. As mentioned above, we are naturally slowing down. This leads to a lower BMR and muscle atrophy, weight training helps with muscle and BMR retention.

Cardio can help relieve hot flushes. If you can work out in the pool, aqua fit, swimming, water jogging, it will help keep your temperature under control.

Food and hormones. It is a bit like TOM but longer lasting and sometimes more insistent. Recognize it is hormones and save calories for those treats you crave.
    Log accurately, use a digital scale, measuring cups and spoons for liquids only.
    If you do need a day at maintenance, take it. This is a long term/lifetime, change you are making, so make choices you can live with. Just be consistent and accurate with your logging so you can review where you can improve.

It is worth mentioning
    -that a higher level of protein around .8g per lbs of body weight will also help with muscle retention.
    -because you are looking losing 10- 20 lbs a deficit of .5 lbs a week, 250 cals a day would probably be the best goal to aim for ( not knowing your stats that is a generality based on when someone is down to the last 15lbs and has little fat reserve)

This, above, is just how I approached losing weight during menopause after doing a bit of research.

I lost the weight through menopause 54-55yo and have kept it off. I make sure I move more in everyday activities and workout 60x5 a week. 2days cardio ( swimming, rowing machine, or speed walking) and 3 days heavy ,for me, weight lifting (AllPro).

Stats: 62yo, 100-105 lbs maintenance range, 5'1.
    Calories 1400-1500 per day (1200 if sedentary).
    I started at 130 lbs and it took a year to lose the 30 lbs, not unusual, the last 10 lbs took over 6 months, again not unusual no matter what ones age is.

Cheers, h.
  • Maria_Fatima
    Maria_Fatima Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Uh. Just don't take steroids.. It will destroy whatever there is. Other than that, whatever is above and whatever may follow could be useful.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I don't know much about this or if it will work, but have you had a look at Macca powder? Type macca powder hormones into google.
  • ronjsteele1
    ronjsteele1 Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    Supplements will not balance hormones,they may lessen symptoms in some individuals...you want proper balanced hormones im afraid it the "synthetic crap" all the way. And it doesn't have to be hrt,there is one anti depressant they use which works very well to calm hot flushes

Please, this is completely untrue. Good grief.

OP, you can *try* EPO (evening primrose oil) taken several times a day. Depending on how strong the menopause symptoms are, it can help. I have found it takes about 30 days for most supplements to kick in enough to actually effect my menopause symptoms. Omega 3's are good for hormone balance. Avoiding all phytoestrogens (soy, chemical hormone distruptors, etc). Exercise also helps with the menopause hormones and hot flashes.
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    OP, you can *try* EPO (evening primrose oil) taken several times a day. Depending on how strong the menopause symptoms are, it can help. I have found it takes about 30 days for most supplements to kick in enough to actually effect my menopause symptoms. Omega 3's are good for hormone balance. Avoiding all phytoestrogens (soy, chemical hormone distruptors, etc). Exercise also helps with the menopause hormones and hot flashes.
    One person tells you to take soy, another tells you not to. A world of confusion.
    Bookstores have many good books. Online you get bits and pieces.
    Books will tell you about fish oil and primrose oil. Along with eating healthy.
  • roseym10
    roseym10 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I can totally relate. I don't have the hot flash problem so much anymore as I'm 53 and started menopause at 47. I still get the hot flashes from time to time but not nearly as bad as the beginning. But I'm right with you on the inability to lose the 20 lbs I've gained since menopause. And yes, inconsistency is my problem and it seems I can't lose unless I keep my calories low and workout like crazy ALL the time which is frustrating because there is no room for error. I tried the 5:2 program where you eat 500 calories twice a week, but I guess I didn't keep my calories as low as I should have on the 5 non fast days. Add me as a friend if you want to try and motivate each other as we're similarly situated and I know I can sure use the motivation! It's hard having just 20 measly pounds to lose that are so difficult to lose.
  • Madelinec117
    Madelinec117 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Due to health issues I was on hormone repression injections and had a lot of problems with hot flashes and night sweats and could not take HRT. I did find that a lower carb diet seemed to lessen the night sweats and hot flashes. One doctor did mention to me that keeping blood sugar spikes to a minimum (even for non diabetics) often helps minimize the hormone spikes as well. The prescription mentioned above which is not HRT is called Effexor (I think that's the correct spelling) and helps some people with this symptoms.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,763 Member
    Options

Please, this is completely untrue. Good grief.

Well, maybe not completely untrue: Effexor, an anti-depressant, has been found effective against hot flashes. One may choose not to take it, of course, but it has different side effects/risk from HRT.

But I know this from reading research results & listening to others' experience, not personal experience. I went into menopause as a result of chemotherapy for breast cancer, and at the same time started taking an anti-estrogen medication (because my tumors were estrogen-fed). This is hard-stop, right-now, Big League menopause . . . but it didn't make me gain weight. Participating in BC support groups, I've met a lot of women who benefitted from Effexor for hot flashes (who can't take HRT because it increases breast cancer risk). Others do well with vitamin B6, B12, E, calcium or others, individually or in combination.

But none of that (AFAIK) has an effect on weight loss rate. I think @middlehaitch gave you excellent advice on that front. I have to admit, I also wonder whether your past yo-yo dieting had a deleterious metabolic effect, though I have no science whatsoever to support that curiosity. Even if it had, middlehaitch is spot on, including the part about blood tests. Large numbers of women become hypothyroid eventually. I did, after cancer treatment.

Good luck finding a course through these difficulties!
  • ronjsteele1
    ronjsteele1 Posts: 1,064 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I wasn't saying the effexor doesn't work. I was saying that the "only way to balance hormones is the synthetic crap" is untrue. There are a lot of other, healthier ways to go about it. If someone wants to use drugs, fine. But it's not the only way.
  • MichPainter
    MichPainter Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your input. I think you all make good points to consider - and I will just keep pluggin along. I know I'm doing a lot of the right things - exercising daily, eating a whole food/plant based diet and keeping stress out of my life as much as possible are all going to eventually help. I'm thinking about asking my doctor to refer me to an acupuncturist as well. I prefer natural solutions rather than "the synthetic crap"...life is full of enough pollutants - last thing I want to do is voluntarily introduce more into my system because then you are just trading up one issue for the other. Again, thank you everyone for taking the time to share your insights!
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,522 Member
    Options
    Hot flushes can also be caused by other things, such as thyroid problems. Maybe you should also have a proper test done there.