I just backpacked the Grand Canyon. Why didn't I lose any weight?

Options
13»

Replies

• b3achy
    b3achy Posts: 2,151 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I appreciate all those that posted about the water retention during muscle repair when changing activities. I had never thought about it like that before, and those were very helpful responses to the OP's original post that also educated me!

I actually hiked to the base of the canyon and out again in one day in my 20's. It was a "Grand" (pun intended) experience, and I'd recommend it (hiking into the canyon, not necessarily doing it in one day) to everyone to do at least once in your lifetime. Great memories.
  • Guns_N_Buns
    Guns_N_Buns Posts: 1,899 Member
    Options

Most backpackers eat pre-packaged, freeze-dried slop. It comes weighed and calorated. It's unpalatable, so you don't really eat a lot of it.

Hopefully the OP ate better than Mountain House but:

mtn-house-pro-pak-660x495.jpg

Nonsense. Hunger -- especially one created from a 20+ mile hike -- makes these things taste delicious!
  • SugarySweetheart
    SugarySweetheart Posts: 154 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I just backpacked the entire Grand Canyon, it took 3 days. My pack weighed 20-25 lbs and I figure I burned about 3,000 calories each day minimum. I consumed an average of 2,000 or less calories a day.
    I weighed 190.0 when I left and 190.0 when I got back. I'm still trying to lose 20 more lbs. I'm a 5'10", 38 year old female.
    I'm just curious if any of you have an answer for this, I just don't understand.
    Thanks for any replies.

Hello Lovetolose20,

After speaking to a personal trainer, he mentioned that only professional athletes burn 1500-2000 calories in their workouts and even then, it's not every workout or everyday. So many on MFP post how they're burning thousands of calories but either they've deceived themselves or their technology isn't working correctly.

I'm glad you hiked and that must have helped to burn some calories, so I'm glad you enjoyed it and that in itself is a NON SCALE VICTORY!!! Congrats!

Sugary Sweet <3
  • Mavrick_RN
    Mavrick_RN Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    OP, serious question:

What did you expect to happen?

Did you expect to drop five pounds over the weekend because you did a bit more hiking? I'm not trying to be an @$$, but you may enjoy your next trip more if you don't give yourself unrealistic expectations.

Weight loss can be super slow. It often is. Focusing too much on numbers can be incredibly discouraging if you expect them to do unrealistic things.

I've never understood why people feel the need to comment on posts and be rude and try to make the original poster feel stupid. Isn't this suppose to be a website where people come to learn and support each other??
    I obviously don't understand how it works. I honestly thought I would get on the scale this morning and see a little drop in weight. That is the reason I started the thread. I wanted to get a little input and wisdom from people who know and understand weight loss better than I.
    You must not have read all of the things that I wrote, because I said that I didn't hike it to lose weight, I hiked it for fun and I just thought it would be great to lose a little weight as a bonus.

Well, if you want to police everybody's posts until they meet your standards then have at it. People post what they want, just as you did. Some considered your post ridiculous and told you so, feel free to ignore them. Jumping on how "rude" they were makes you seem like some princess that's overly sensitive and requires special handling.

You straightforward answer that you were just curious was really all you need to say. Just sayin'.
  • Mavrick_RN
    Mavrick_RN Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    A much better reply is: You hiked the Grand Canyon! Totally Freakin' Awesume. You are part of the small percentage of persons who visit the Canyon that actually got to see it from the inside. What trail did you take down? What trail out?
  • lovetolose20
    lovetolose20 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I like the down quilt idea. I feel too restricted in my bag, I may try that.

Mine looks a lot like this. It opens completely flat, like a blanket at home. So when I camp during a heat wave, I don't get too hot and stuffy at night. When it's slightly colder I close it around my feet but leave the top open. Only when it's really cold will I close it up around me. It's so much more comfortable than a mummy bag I can't believe it. Also weighs a pound less. I don't like camping near the road, I prefer to hike into the wilderness and find a place to sleep, so light weight is the same thing as comfort for me. I use this with a NeoAir XTherm inflatable sleeping pad. Just a wonderful system.

lightweight-20-degree-sleeping-bag-grn-bottom_l.jpg

If you look close, you can see my tent in the bottom-right corner of this picture. And a mountain goat to the left. This was Sahale Glacier Camp, it was a 7 mile hike and 4,200 feet of elevation gain to get there.

24718776672_5cc0d9f85c_o_d.jpg

I love that bottom picture, did you take that? It's gorgeous!! Bet that was an awesome trip.
  • lovetolose20
    Options
    NorthCascades, thank you for the picture of the bag/blanket, that's really awesome! I Definitely want to try that.

• mjstormy
    mjstormy Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    You most likely lost fat and gained muscle. Muscle weigh more than fat.
  • lovetolose20
    Options
    Adding that to my bucket list. One of these days we'll definitely get up there. My husband grew up around there.
    You take great pictures!
  • lovetolose20
    Options
    Backpacking is so fun :)
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,239 Member
    Options
    I just backpacked the entire Grand Canyon, it took 3 days. My pack weighed 20-25 lbs and I figure I burned about 3,000 calories each day minimum. I consumed an average of 2,000 or less calories a day.
    I weighed 190.0 when I left and 190.0 when I got back. I'm still trying to lose 20 more lbs. I'm a 5'10", 38 year old female.
    I'm just curious if any of you have an answer for this, I just don't understand.
    Thanks for any replies.

Hello Lovetolose20,

After speaking to a personal trainer, he mentioned that only professional athletes burn 1500-2000 calories in their workouts and even then, it's not every workout or everyday. So many on MFP post how they're burning thousands of calories but either they've deceived themselves or their technology isn't working correctly.

I'm glad you hiked and that must have helped to burn some calories, so I'm glad you enjoyed it and that in itself is a NON SCALE VICTORY!!! Congrats!

Sugary Sweet <3

So if a non athlete male weighing 220 pounds exercises at a reasonably intense rate, say cycling at about 15 miles per hour, for 2-3 hours your personal trainer would say that simply because they are not professional athletes they are not burning 1500-2000 calories? If so he is simply wrong. While I agree many people here seem to have overly optimistic calorie burns, at the same time, many people in my friends list only have burns like that from 2-3 hours of working out, and that is far from unrealistic.
  • lemonlionheart
    lemonlionheart Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    mjstormy wrote: »

Really unlikely she gained muscle on a large deficit doing a bunch of cardio. My guess is water retention from muscle repair, I know my legs would be pretty sore after a few days of hiking
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    mjstormy wrote: »

In just 3 days doing some moderate hiking? Not at all possible.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,704 Member
    Options
    Likely because you passed near Sedona and the Vortex there doesn't allow weight loss.

Just cause one exercises, DOESN'T always correlate to weight loss. That's more about CICO. It's EASY to eat what you burn.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options
    Adding that to my bucket list. One of these days we'll definitely get up there. My husband grew up around there.
    You take great pictures!

If you do, please feel free to send me a PM and I'll recommend some trails for the two of you. :smile:
  • NikkiMichelleS
    NikkiMichelleS Posts: 897 Member
    Options

How in gods name did you do this with a 25 pound pack? You must have had to carry water most of the way.
    How can you be sure how much you ate and how many cals? if you didn't weigh your food while hiking then you can't be a hundred percent sure that CI<CO

Most backpackers eat pre-packaged, freeze-dried slop. It comes weighed and calorated. It's unpalatable, so you don't really eat a lot of it. The whole time you're out you dream of raspberries and veggie burgers, but because you're carrying your tent, sleeping bag, extra clothing, cooking gear, water filtering gear, and everything else you need, luxuries like an orange just aren't worth the added weight.

...food is a luxury when backpacking?! There are so many scrumptious foods, you don't have to eat freeze dried everything!
    Take the raspberries & the orange...no trash left over! Even the veggie burgers, easy to heat & pack. Smaller, less bulky And less weight on the way hiking out.

OP- I also backpacked the Canyon but in 2 days (1 over night). I wasn't trying to lose weight back then, and doubt I did. What I gained was an amazing experience and hope you did too!! Keep at it!
  • lovetolose20
    Options
    NorthCascades, I'll definitely contact you when we go. Thanks for your help :)
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,473 Member
    Options
    can I say. really?
  • lovetolose20
    Options
    NikkiMichelleS, the first time we hiked the Grand Canyon we did it in 2 days. This time we just took a little more time and enjoyed it. Such a great experience. Hope to do it many more times!