Supplements & Cancer

Options
So a supplement I bought (Pre and Post Jym) have warning labels that claim it contains chemicals known to the state of California to cause cancer and all other types of defects. Is this stuff true?

Replies

• fishshark
    fishshark Posts: 1,886 Member
    Options
    tw807278 wrote: »
    So a supplement I bought (Pre and Post Jym) have warning labels that claim it contains chemicals known to the state of California to cause cancer and all other types of defects. Is this stuff true?

that warning is literally everywhere you could go or buy in california. go into a starbucks? yea its plastered everywhere. California is legally required to put that on basically anything u could put in your mouth.
  • TylerWhiite
    TylerWhiite Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    fishshark wrote: »

that warning is literally everywhere you could go or buy in california. go into a starbucks? yea its plastered everywhere. California is legally required to put that on basically anything u could put in your mouth.

But does it contain any chemicals that can cause cancer? Because my parents threw all my supplements out (over 160$) that had that label and they won't listen to me. So now I don't know which pre, post, and protein nutrition supplement to take that's approved.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Everything in the world except for purple fairy dust is known to cause cancer in the state of California.
    It doesn't mean it actually causes cancer. It just means that California requires that warning on a whole host of different products if they're to be sold in the state.
    Basically, if a study shows that there's a vague correlation which implies that maybe the product has the potential to slightly increase the odds that you'll do something to increase your cancer risk when taken in deadly doses, they have to put that warning on there.

(Like if you die from eating 30kg of vitamin E but then come back as a zombie with a taste for lead (known to CA to cause cancer) then vitamin E causes cancer in California)
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    fishshark wrote: »

But does it contain any chemicals that can cause cancer? Because my parents threw all my supplements out (over 160$) that had that label and they won't listen to me. So now I don't know which pre, post, and protein nutrition supplement to take that's approved.

It's been a while since I researched the product but I don't recall anything in it to be concerned about.
    That said, I do recall it being severely overpriced for its purpose.

You're a young guy and I'm assuming a beginner. That in mind, you probably wouldn't get much noticeable benefit from most of the ingredients.
    You'll be just as fine eating an apple or granola about 45 minutes before your workout and a glass of milk right after (or your supper, even better).

If you're dead set on supplements, the big hitters in the ingredient list (if memory serves correctly) are BCAAs, creatine, beta alanine and taurine.

Quality BCAAs can be found for way way way cheaper. Same with creatine. Same with beta alanine and taurine.
    A lot of people say BCAAs are overrated. Myself, I take them intra workout and seem to feel less fatigue.
    Taurine just gives mental focus (at least as far as what it's useful for in this context).
    Creatine and beta alanine don't even need to be taken pre or post workout. They just need to be taken daily so that they're in your system (what they do and how they work is a big topic for another thread).

All that said, I highly doubt you're going to find any supplements without the California warning label. Your best bet is the apple and milk (but CA might label those too if they're not organic).
  • V_Keto_V
    V_Keto_V Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    True: beta alanine, Creatine mono hydrate, taurine are the big 3
    BCAAs...just eat protein containing food

California is almost like another country...bans malathion use for treating headlice. Yes, it's potentially dangerous if used improperly, but it's always risk vs. benefit
  • Strawblackcat
    Strawblackcat Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    California is just really, really picky about it's labeling. Anything with any sort of vague sort of correlation to cancer has to carry that label in that state. Some manufacturers just decide to put it on all of their packages so that they don't have to worry about ones without the label making their way to California. The kind of toothpaste that I use (Earthpaste) has that same label. The only ingidients in it are water, Redmond Clay, Redmond Sea Salt, xylitol, and essential oils. Your supplement is probably fine.