Setting weight loss goals

Options
I'm sure this has been discussed before, but I can't find it. I am trying to set a realistic goal and I notice that MFP recommends 1lb/week. I've chosen 1.5lb/week as I'm a bit impatient. I don't want to sabotage myself though. I've got heaps to lose, 33kg. So can I stick with 1.5lb/week or should I reconsider?

Replies

• osmium
    osmium Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I'm sure this has been discussed before, but I can't find it. I am trying to set a realistic goal and I notice that MFP recommends 1lb/week. I've chosen 1.5lb/week as I'm a bit impatient. I don't want to sabotage myself though. I've got heaps to lose, 33kg. So can I stick with 1.5lb/week or should I reconsider?
  • Jackie_W
    Jackie_W Posts: 1,676 Member
    Options
    I started with 98lbs to lose, I aim for 2 lbs per week - the very maximum you should try to lose.
    But to be honest, it's really down to the individual, if you feel comfortable with 2.5, then I'd leave it at that. Chances are you will lose more in the first coupel of weeks, while your body is adjusting to the new healthy eating and losing water weight, I lost 6lbs in my first week, so if this happens, don't panic.

After 3.5 months, I'm starting to find I'm losing it slower, so I have to work harder, although, yesterday I worked real hard, and then forgot to eat my exercise calories back, and put on a lb, but hey that's life :drinker:

Welcome to MFP by the way :drinker: :drinker:
  • FloridaGranny
    FloridaGranny Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Work it off slow and it will stay off! Crash diet and it will return with extras!!!

Stay within your limits and you'll see more results than the scales. You'll tone up and feel so much better....

Keep pushing play... it will be worth it!
  • happenstance82
    Options
    If you're impatient, I think 1.5lbs/week is a fine goal. My personal trainer told me that 2.5lbs/week is even healthy. I think the important thing is being committed, no matter what. Accept your weight loss for what it is...whether it's losing 2lbs one week or only half a pound.
  • BrenNew
    BrenNew Posts: 3,420 Member
    Options
    Give the 1.5 a try, and see how you feel. If you're hungry all the time, then I'd recommend going to the 1 pound a week. :smile:
  • jessicasager
    Options
    i have to lose 100lbs total. i set mine at the max of 2lb a week as reinforcement for myself, as i too am impatient. and until i start platueing (sp?) i'm leaving it at that. as long as you promise yourself to stick to the right foods and excercise, if you've got more than 10lbs to lose, it'll melt away in the beginning. i lost 10lbs my first 2 weeks.
  • osmium
    osmium Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I'll stick with 1.5lbs/week then and see how I go. I am finding it hard to get used to thinking in lbs though :smile: I'm a kg's girl!
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,108 Member
    Options
    I love your cute little grass-head people. I think you could shoot for 1kg a week since you have so much to lose at first. It will be easy to lose at first. Once you've lost 15-20kg, you will find it more difficult to lose i.e. you will need to work harder. You will be re-adjusting your intake of food as you lose. You will start eating MORE as you lose 15 kg or so.

Keep reading, it will make sense.

...and Welcome!:flowerforyou: