Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Hi - Newbie here. Question about waist size? :)

Hey folks!

I’m new to MFP and just wanted to say hi and get some views/advice.

I’m 31 year old. 5’5/5’6 (bad posture, can’t be sure!) and currently weigh 128 Pounds. My goal weight is between 112-119 (which is what I was in my 20s) I’ve never been a very healthy person; always ate junk food and did no exercise, but I piled on the pounds in the last 6 months when I found myself drinking a bottle a wine/or two a day! Thankfully, I realised that was a major problem and have now completely quit and I think it’s definitely helping with the weight loss again

Anyway, my question was regarding measurements; specifically waist measurements. I measured myself for the first time EVER a couple of weeks ago and realised that I have 30inch waist. I had no idea whether that was healthy or considered big/small in any context. However, having looked into a little, it seems pretty big for my size! What do you guys think? It seems that women my size, have a waist in the region of 26-28inch. Even when I was 119 pounds, I’m pretty sure my waist looked the same, because I still wear a lot of the same clothes!

Any idea what’s up with my wide waist? And any suggestions for how to reduce it?

Thanks a bunch peeps. Hope everybody is healthy and happy x

Replies

• VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    It will have a lot to do with your body shape and that's just genetics unfortunately. But lowering your body fat and getting on some resistance training will help a lot.

I'm an hourglass so whilst I'm a lot heavier than you, my waist is a little smaller. But I can almost guarantee my hips and boobs are much bigger!
  • skmk_85
    skmk_85 Posts: 5 Member
    Hey Vintagefeline - thanks for your reply. I guess I should try and work out/factor in my body shape too! I think my chest is 34 and my hips are 34 too...so it seems kind of straight up! Maybe that can't be changed! :) Thanks for the tip about resistance training. I'm slowly getting into and maybe it'll help some. Love you hair by the way! :)
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    edited June 2016
    Waist size is mostly genetics. For your height your current waist size is fine.

I'm 5ft 2 and have a 26" waist at 130lbs. Even when I was heavier my waist wasn't bigger than 31" - I am inclined to carry any spare weight on my bottom and lower belly.

Strength/weight training, also Pilates is very good for the mid section and will really help reduce your waist size. Your weight seems quite low already for your height.
  • skmk_85
    skmk_85 Posts: 5 Member

I'm 5ft 2 and have a 26" waist at 130lbs. Even when I was heavier my waist wasn't bigger than 31" - I am inclined to carry any spare weight on my bottom and lower belly.

Strength/weight training, also Pilates is very good for the mid section and will really help reduce your waist size. Your weight seems quite low already for your height.

Thanks for your reply :)

I've always wanted to try Pilates so there's more of an incentive now :)

I guess I was getting a bit confused by some guidelines I read. I'm from the UK and the NHS (our healthcare) site lists 31.5 inches as risky for a woman and whilst I'm not quite there, I was worried that I'm on the borderline with 30inch....here's the article: http://www.nhs.uk/chq/Pages/849.aspx?CategoryID=51

I also found this chart where it suggests 26inch as ideal for my height and again 31.5 as overweight....confusing information! But I think as you guys say, it must have more to do with body shapes rather than just height.

Thanks again!
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Waist size can be an indicator of someone storing more fat around their organs, which is what is dangerous. I think that's it anyway! And it's why they often say women who are big in the tummy are more at risk than someone of the same weight but with a narrower waist. So proportions/bust to waist to hip ratios matter too.

As you are working on lowering your body fat I wouldn't worry too much, particularly given you are also in the healthy BMI range.
  • vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,650 Member
    Yup, waist size is mostly genetics. I'm shaped pretty straight up and down from the front, from the side I'm more curvy. I won't ever have a tiny waist. Removing body fat (as suggested above) is always wise, but so is healthy acceptance of a perfectly good, strong body that serves me well. I'm tired of the beauty ideals pushed by the culture. Ugggh.
  • goldengirl111
    goldengirl111 Posts: 684 Member
    skmk_85 wrote: »

Thanks for your reply :)

I've always wanted to try Pilates so there's more of an incentive now :)

I guess I was getting a bit confused by some guidelines I read. I'm from the UK and the NHS (our healthcare) site lists 31.5 inches as risky for a woman and whilst I'm not quite there, I was worried that I'm on the borderline with 30inch....here's the article: http://www.nhs.uk/chq/Pages/849.aspx?CategoryID=51

I also found this chart where it suggests 26inch as ideal for my height and again 31.5 as overweight....confusing information! But I think as you guys say, it must have more to do with body shapes rather than just height.

Thanks again!

Pilates is awesome for waist whittling.