Replies

• PixelPuff
    PixelPuff Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    PixelPuff wrote: »
    randomtai wrote: »
    Toning isn't a thing. You need to reduce bodyfat.

Do you currently do any resistance/strength training? If not, you should do.

Depends on the situation. My bodyfat is fairly low, but I have a lot of loose skin, so I look flabby [note; getting Abdominoplasty soon to remove extra skin]. Toning for me would reduce the 'flab' look and accentuate the skin hanging off of me... xD; But 'toning' is legit just working out to grow my muscles. To be fair, I'm 85lbs down, unsure of OP.

Still doesn't make toning a thing. Muscles do not "tone".
    If you use a word enough for something, it gains a definition. S'how words work.
    If you don't the history of the word, it's actually an insult to women. The word was created to fool females into lifting weights because the fitness industry knew that females spend more than males on personal improvement. Back in the day it was just cardio and lifting meant to just about every female............muscle gains. And that wasn't in. So "toning" was created. It's still lifting weights. It just had to be made "feminine" instead of actually being truthful and teaching females that building muscle for a female is actually quite hard to do. Even with a calorie surplus.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
    Strange that my bodybuilding stepbro used to use the word 'tone' so often when he was first starting, or whenever he wants to work on more definition, then.

And even if a word was started with a negative meaning, so what..? *kitten* sticks, it has happened throughout history.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options

Depends on the situation. My bodyfat is fairly low, but I have a lot of loose skin, so I look flabby [note; getting Abdominoplasty soon to remove extra skin]. Toning for me would reduce the 'flab' look and accentuate the skin hanging off of me... xD; But 'toning' is legit just working out to grow my muscles. To be fair, I'm 85lbs down, unsure of OP.

If you use a word enough for something, it gains a definition. S'how words work.
    If you don't the history of the word, it's actually an insult to women. The word was created to fool females into lifting weights because the fitness industry knew that females spend more than males on personal improvement. Back in the day it was just cardio and lifting meant to just about every female............muscle gains. And that wasn't in. So "toning" was created. It's still lifting weights. It just had to be made "feminine" instead of actually being truthful and teaching females that building muscle for a female is actually quite hard to do. Even with a calorie surplus.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
    Strange that my bodybuilding stepbro used to use the word 'tone' so often when he was first starting, or whenever he wants to work on more definition, then.

And even if a word was started with a negative meaning, so what..? *kitten* sticks, it has happened throughout history.

Yeah. No.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Bet he got the *kitten* kicked out of him saying toning in a weight room around a bunch of bros.
  • PixelPuff
    Options
    Packerjohn wrote: »

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Bet he got the *kitten* kicked out of him saying toning in a weight room around a bunch of bros.

Nope. Likely they understood what he meant, and shrugged it off, instead of being super condescending jerks. Hmm. It's as if everyone knows what people mean when they say tone, and aren't jerks about it to others. Such a strange world.
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,261 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

I still hear alot of people use the word tone all the time it certainly has stuck.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,659 Member
    Options
    synchkat wrote: »

When we use "tone", we are meaning work on your muscle mass. Get it higher, grow the muscles. Skinny, but feel skinnyfat due to stoach? "Tone"! In other words, work on your abs. In other words, stop concentrating fully on the number, time to actually work on your overall body health.

I agree with you. Someone seems caught up on semantics.
    I have no interested in building a muscular physique which is really easy for me to do. So I incorporate the low weight high rep way of "lifting", ergo toning.
    Or as it's actually known: muscular endurance training. Terminology may not matter to some, but it can reduce actual confusion to others.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
  • ninerbuff
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
    Lol, guess I should then disregard written information in physiology, anatomy and kinesiology then........................
    So even a derogatory words used for people of different ethnicities created back in the day is okay to use based on this analogy? Okay.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• ninerbuff
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Nope. Likely they understood what he meant, and shrugged it off, instead of being super condescending jerks. Hmm. It's as if everyone knows what people mean when they say tone, and aren't jerks about it to others. Such a strange world.
    Living in the gym for over 30 years, I can assure you that body building bros didn't talk "tone" to describe losing fat and and getting defined. Words like "cut", "shred" and "get ripped" were more the obvious bro talk. And that's coming from a bro.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Living in the gym for over 30 years, I can assure you that body building bros didn't talk "tone" to describe losing fat and and getting defined. Words like "cut", "shred" and "get ripped" were more the obvious bro talk. And that's coming from a bro.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Agree. I've been a member of various public gyms for over 40 years and have never heard anyone knowledgabke about finess say "tone up".
  • randomtai
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Or you can just use the correct term. *shrug* And possibly not name call.
  • PixelPuff
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

And possibly y'all don't jump down a single user's throat for what many understand as a common term for something.
  • ninerbuff
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

And possibly y'all don't jump down a single user's throat for what many understand as a common term for something.
    But what many understand as a common term, also don't seem to have a grasp on actually how to lose body fat while retaining muscle. That's why they ask about "toning", which doesn't exist. There are no "toning" exercises out there. There are no such thing as "toning curls" or "toning squats". There are just curls and squats. When people actually start to understand that this inference to some "non muscle increase" training is just a farce, then it's likely they will start to accept correct information. And that's what they should get..................correct information.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

I didn't see much jumping... just loads of white Knight-ing :laugh:
  • randomtai
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

No one jumped but you. *shrug*
  • quietandmildspirit
    quietandmildspirit Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Hi
    I am a busy person too. I discovered that I can do push-ups while I cook. Using the counter with my feet behind me and together at an angle to the floor I simply do the push-ups on the counter in between stirring the meal!