How to be patient with results?

Options
Hey there everybody!
So I just started or well restarted my weight loss journey last week (lost 1lb!). I know weight loss is a slow process and results don't happen right away, but I often get discouraged(based on previous weight loss attempts) when a week goes by and I either see no weight loss, a slight gain of like .5 to 1 lb, or even a slight loss of .5 lbs. I think my problem is I just get very impatient. This often leads to the awful mindset of 'why even bother' which is NOT what I want to think this time around. Do any of you guys have advice on sticking with weight loss, being patient, or simply how you deal with slow results?

Replies

• 2011rocket3touring
    2011rocket3touring Posts: 1,346 Member
    Options
    I also focus on the process of learning and developing new habits that will lead to a better me.
  • Zella_11
    Zella_11 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I always think "the time will pass anyway, may as well put it to use". In a years time you could be 52lb lighter (if you need to lose that amount) or you could be exactly where you are right now, still.

THIS!
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    Incorporate short term goals and/or non-weight related goals. If you focus on fitness goals, for example, then weight loss becomes a side effect and it could help you to avoid the weekly weigh in frustration.

Such as start a couch to 5k program. It will give you something physical/active that has a time structure.
    meg7117 wrote: »
    Hey there everybody!
    So I just started or well restarted my weight loss journey last week (lost 1lb!). I know weight loss is a slow process and results don't happen right away, but I often get discouraged(based on previous weight loss attempts) when a week goes by and I either see no weight loss, a slight gain of like .5 to 1 lb, or even a slight loss of .5 lbs. I think my problem is I just get very impatient. This often leads to the awful mindset of 'why even bother' which is NOT what I want to think this time around. Do any of you guys have advice on sticking with weight loss, being patient, or simply how you deal with slow results?

• Guns_N_Buns
    Guns_N_Buns Posts: 1,899 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is the fastest thing you've ever done.
  • Mentali
    Mentali Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    I try to focus on things that aren't weight loss. When you're so focused on weight loss, it makes you crazy about it and you want to see it immediately. On the other hand, if you're trying to learn a new skill, trying new things, pouring yourself into work, spending more time with friends, the weight loss won't be so on your mind and it will just...happen.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    In your case, maybe it might be a good idea (at least at first) to not weigh yourself for a month. Then, provided you really are doing the things necessary to lose weight, you'll see a good drop.
  • cross2bear
    cross2bear Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    I too am an impatient person so the deal I made with myself was to toss the scale. I only get weighed when I see my doctor (about an ongoing issue, every 6-8 weeks or so in the last year) and then I get the numbers from her. It saves the agony of fluctuations affecting my emotions, and it forces me to recognize other measures of my weight loss rather than what the scale says, like how clothes fit, my activity and strength levels etc.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    Getting a life was really helpful to being patient. :) I stopped focusing on food and started doing activities I enjoyed. I joined a gym that was close, I only weigh myself every other week (at the gym; I don't have a scale), only eat what I like (no yogurt, for example, and I have french fries every Sunday with my breakfast).
  • Wicked_Seraph
    Wicked_Seraph Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    Force yourself to be patient.

Set goals that have NOTHING to do with the scale and recognize that sustainable weight loss takes a loooong time, more often than not.
  • Tedebearduff
    Tedebearduff Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    meg7117 wrote: »
    Hey there everybody!

Try harder? like you are the only thing holding yourself back... You set your goals, not me, not the other people on this site....

Why not lose 5lbs a week? that's unhealthy? said who? people on the internet said it you say, well *kitten* it must be true. Don't attempt that for yourself cause Fitguy27 said it was a bad idea, like he has "fit" in his name he has to know what he's talking about right?

I say *kitten* everyone else, force yourself to try harder, you aren't putting in enough effort. Go do a *kitten* ton of research on nutrition and exercise! Because when you actually know what that *kitten* food does to your body you don't want to eat it anymore. The taste of things doesn't really matter as much as living longer...to me at least.

Think of where you would be today if you had put in maximum effort a year ago on this day. . .

Disclaimer: Check with your doctor before you do anything cause I'm just an over opinionated idiot on the internet who doesn't know anything about your health situation.
  • sashayoung72
    sashayoung72 Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    Day after day i just keep plugging along, logging my food. I have "tried" to lose weight so many times i've lost count. This time, it's not finding me. I know that this time is different, this time there is no going back, this time will be the last time. I'm not on a diet, but i know I will always have to count calories. I simply don't have it in me to stay on track without keeping up with it. I'm down 83, or 17 till 100!!!
  • exact0ninja
    exact0ninja Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I would say, think of the goods and toss the bads. The more you do this, the more it becomes a part of your daily habits and the less you think about all that is done to achieve your goals. Also, the scales don't tell the whole story. I wouldn't be discouraged that you didn't lose a whole lb, etc, or that you might have even put on weight. Because in reality, you could be getting stronger and gaining muscle mass.

I think the best way to get into it without it being torturous is to just do it and keep doing it, whether you want to or not. The days that you really really just.. don't want to.. you do it anyways. It's amazing because as humans, we think so far into things and start to anticipate ourselves into a black hole of nothingness. It creates anxiety, depression, and low self esteem. The solution is to think about it as little as you can while you do it. That way you can't anticipate, you can't become obsessed, and it turns into something you just do. Of course, think about ways to change your workout and food types up etc, but don't overthink the future and the effort needed. We all know it's a tough battle, and everyone has their ups and downs. But we can't focus on the downs.
  • jeanstudies
    jeanstudies Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Try harder? like you are the only thing holding yourself back... You set your goals, not me, not the other people on this site...

force yourself to try harder, you aren't putting in enough effort. Go do a *kitten* ton of research on nutrition and exercise! Because when you actually know what that *kitten* food does to your body you don't want to eat it anymore. The taste of things doesn't really matter as much as living longer...to me at least.

I think each board reader has to decide how other posters affect them. Yeah, about a year ago I would have been really hurt if Tedebearduff had said this to me. But NOW? Oh yeah, I need NEED to hear this.

I am SO different (maybe older/younger, tougher/wimpier, slower/faster metabolism, better/worse at resisting trigger foods, higher/lower body fat percentage) than EVERYONE on this site, that I do need to set my own goals, and then really look at the research and decide whether it is c__p or not.