Maintaining weight and losing fat

TafTeresa
TafTeresa Posts: 4 Member
edited June 2016 in Goal: Maintaining Weight
I've been able to maintain my weight loss for a year but have all this extra fat around my middle I need to get rid of. Any ideas?

Replies

• RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited June 2016
    Well you cannot just get rid of fat that is surrounding your middle area, no such thing as spot reducing. Unfortunately if this were possible we would all be doing that.

Although you say you have been maintaining your weight for a year is there any more additional weight that you need to loose or is it just getting rid of some additional fat and perhaps some loose skin?

So what can you do? Time to think about lifting some weights and building some lean muscle, you have a couple of choices.

1) Eat a deficit to loose some more fat/weight but maintain your current muscle while eating at moderate protein intake and lifting some weights (heavy weights).

2) You can recomp which is eat at your maintenance calories with about 100 less (deficit) and loose fat ole so slowly and attempt to try to gain some muscle (which you can in the beginning being a newbie lifter of weights), but these taper off rather quickly and it can be 5 - 7 weeks or so. Recomp can go on for quite some time because loosing fat and gaining muscle at the same time is a very slow process and is hard to do unless all the parametes are 100% perfect. This is good for maintainers who do not want to gain any more weight but lift weights and attempt to put on some lean muscle (a very very small amount and cut some fat and in no hurry to do it) NOTE: This takes precision in your diet and the right progressive overload weight lifting program.

3) You can get off maintenance and either clean or dirty bulk. Clean bulk is maintenance calories with a small surplus (around 200 or 250) or dirty bulk is a moderate/higher surplus around 500 calories ... but you have to lift heavy and to build muscle you need to do a progressive overloading lifting program. Pick how long and how much muscle you want to build (how much weight you want to put and set MFP to those calories and the lift and lift heavy... After XX period of time or XX number of pounds you put on that meets your goals, you will cut the fat you gained during this time by following #1 above.

There is a link in MFP called What lifting Program is Right for you.. I do not have the link.. but you can search for it if you want to review lifting programs you may be interested in.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,809 Member
    edited June 2016
    Recomp isn't always slow - very dependant on the individual. It doesn't have an endpoint after a certain time limit and it sure as hell isn't weeks. I first started strength training in 1974 and recomp still works.
    People even recomp to physique competition standards.

https://bretcontreras.com/to-bulk-and-cut-or-not/

It's just a perfectly natural and normal reaction to stimulus. The parameters of exercise and diet do not have to be perfect or precise - that just affects your results and speed of results.
    Eric Helms - "recomposition is normal. It happens – less so in trained individuals, but much more in untrained, new lifters"

Have a read of this thread to see real world examples
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10177803/recomposition-maintaining-weight-while-losing-fat/p1

OP -
    Your options to reduce fat (from all over) are:
    Calorie deficit / weight loss.
    Recomp (staying roughly same weight, adding muscle and losing fat),
    Cut/bulk cycles.

What are you trying to do to create muscle stimulus for growth? i.e why would your body change from where you are now?
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Yup. I've had solid recomp progress over 2 years...
  • TafTeresa
    RoxieDawn wrote: »
    Well you cannot just get rid of fat that is surrounding your middle area, no such thing as spot reducing. Unfortunately if this were possible we would all be doing that.

Although you say you have been maintaining your weight for a year is there any more additional weight that you need to loose or is it just getting rid of some additional fat and perhaps some loose skin?

So what can you do? Time to think about lifting some weights and building some lean muscle, you have a couple of choices.

1) Eat a deficit to loose some more fat/weight but maintain your current muscle while eating at moderate protein intake and lifting some weights (heavy weights).

2) You can recomp which is eat at your maintenance calories with about 100 less (deficit) and loose fat ole so slowly and attempt to try to gain some muscle (which you can in the beginning being a newbie lifter of weights), but these taper off rather quickly and it can be 5 - 7 weeks or so. Recomp can go on for quite some time because loosing fat and gaining muscle at the same time is a very slow process and is hard to do unless all the parametes are 100% perfect. This is good for maintainers who do not want to gain any more weight but lift weights and attempt to put on some lean muscle (a very very small amount and cut some fat and in no hurry to do it) NOTE: This takes precision in your diet and the right progressive overload weight lifting program.

3) You can get off maintenance and either clean or dirty bulk. Clean bulk is maintenance calories with a small surplus (around 200 or 250) or dirty bulk is a moderate/higher surplus around 500 calories ... but you have to lift heavy and to build muscle you need to do a progressive overloading lifting program. Pick how long and how much muscle you want to build (how much weight you want to put and set MFP to those calories and the lift and lift heavy... After XX period of time or XX number of pounds you put on that meets your goals, you will cut the fat you gained during this time by following #1 above.

There is a link in MFP called What lifting Program is Right for you.. I do not have the link.. but you can search for it if you want to review lifting programs you may be interested in.
    RoxieDawn wrote: »

TafTeresa wrote: »
    I've been able to maintain my weight loss for a year but have all this extra fat around my middle I need to get rid of. Any ideas?

• TafTeresa
    Im at a good weight would lik to lose 6 more though. I'm 56, 136, 5'7. Have been rowing and some light weights. Would lke to be lean.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,809 Member
    TafTeresa wrote: »
    Im at a good weight would lik to lose 6 more though. I'm 56, 136, 5'7. Have been rowing and some light weights. Would lke to be lean.

My suggestion would be a very small calorie deficit (very slow weight loss) and switch up light weights to heavy weights to challenge your muscles.
  • TafTeresa
    Thank you