Drop & Give Me What You Can In 90 Seconds

Options
Earlier this month, I decided I wanted to work on my pushups. They've never been my favorite exercise, but they're a great core workout. So, I decided every morning I would drop & see how many I could do in the 90 seconds it takes to heat up the water for my coffee. On June 6, that number was 23. Today, I did 37. :bigsmile: These are all regular pushups... none on my knees. I've grown to like this part of my morning routine (who'da thunk???), so will continue doing it. We'll see how much more improvement I can do. My goal is 50 pushups. I'd love to be doing that by 7/31. I'll keep you posted!

Replies

• vsyates
    vsyates Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    Very nice! I can't even do 1 regular pushup so I'm in awe.....
  • pjhrt
    pjhrt Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I used to be able to bang 40 out no problem. Today I can barely muster 15.
  • Deberlin88
    Deberlin88 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Very nice! I can't even do 1 regular pushup so I'm in awe.....

vsyates... then, try my little challenge. :) It's very motivating to see the improvements from week-to-week. Heck, even daily improvements! Start it for the month of July, and let me know how many you can do by July 31. You might surprise yourself!
  • gjulie
    gjulie Posts: 391
    Options
    Actually havnt tried for years,just wondering could you hurt your back? Ive 2 dodgy discs and am not sure if I should or not.Anyone know?
  • Hyemija
    Hyemija Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Julie - You should certainly check with your doctor!
  • Deberlin88
    Options
    Actually havnt tried for years,just wondering could you hurt your back? Ive 2 dodgy discs and am not sure if I should or not.Anyone know?

gjulie... My back isn't the best, either, and it doesn't seem to have affected my back. Actually strengthening your back can be good for it. If you have doubts or questions, though, I would recommend asking your doctor. Better to be safe than sorry!
  • TinaS88
    TinaS88 Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    I can do like 5 and then my arms give out... lol
  • lausa22
    lausa22 Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    I have to do them on my knees! I just don't have the strength to keep my legs up
  • McBody
    McBody Posts: 1,703 Member
    Options
    That's a great morning ritual! I can do 52 in the 90 second time frame. I'm going to have to work on this one- I like it! I also have back problems (fractured C5, C6, and L5 when I was 15)- and the BEST thing I've ever done for my back was to start doing push-ups and other core work.
  • lily1972
    lily1972 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    Wow!! Impressive improvement! :drinker: I'm tackling push-ups too, but I'm currently doing knee push-ups... looking forward to transferring on feet! Way to go!!! :flowerforyou:
  • Deberlin88
    Options
    Wow!! Impressive improvement! :drinker: I'm tackling push-ups too, but I'm currently doing knee push-ups... looking forward to transferring on feet! Way to go!!! :flowerforyou:

Lausa & Lily... I always thought I didn't have the strength for feet pushups, either. However, until you get on your feet, how do you know if you can do it? Even though it's harder, I suggest getting off your knees.
  • Mcctin65
    Mcctin65 Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    That's a great morning ritual! I can do 52 in the 90 second time frame. I'm going to have to work on this one- I like it! I also have back problems (fractured C5, C6, and L5 when I was 15)- and the BEST thing I've ever done for my back was to start doing push-ups and other core work.
  • Mcctin65
    Options
    Maybe I'll challenge the girls at work with this one also...
    we are currenlty doing 100 crunches a day and was looking to add something next week to that. this would be perfect!
  • Mcctin65
    Options
    52! Holy Cow! Think I'd be lucky to do 10 girly push ups!