How much sleep do you get?

Options
I'm really bad at this, I have problems with fatigue anyway, and for some reason I cannot seem to get my butt into bed at a sensible time, before midnight is unheard of, and I get up at about 7:30am. Some nights i'm up until 2am, i've been like this my whole life, I love my sleep but hate going to bed, maybe it stems from my childhood and always wanting to stay up? Anyway I know i've got to change, lack of sleep has a massive effect on my hunger levels and makes my daytime sleepiness worse, but too much sleep is just as bad.

So I was wondering, how much sleep do you normally get a night?

Replies

• WifeMomDVM
    WifeMomDVM Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    Usually between 7-9. I shoot for 9. I feel old. On Friday nights, my hubby and I are crashing into bed by 8:30 right behind the kids! We laugh about it, but otherwise we would be zombies!

If I get less than 7, I'm a total BEAR!!!! :mad:
  • _angua_
    _angua_ Posts: 35
    Options
    I've always needed a lot so normally make sure I get my 8 hours. I have a twelve week old and am still up twice a night with her so that doesn't help and then my toddler is always up nice, bright and early so no sleeping in.
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    I'm the same, never ever get to sleep before 12, and it's usually not til 1-2am as I have work til midnight half the week. I usually manage to get my 8 hours though at least, wake up around 9-11am unless I have something specific on earlier or I have uni lectures in the morning - I don't work the night before early uni starts, or I will not wake up at all for it! haha
    If I get less than 8 I'm usually really tired, less than 6 and there's no point me being up since I can't function at all.
  • get_fit2009
    get_fit2009 Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    8 minimum. I am an early-to-bed, early-to-rise kind of gal. I go to bed around 8:30 - 9:00 PM. I get up anywhere from 4:45 - 5:15 AM. Less than 8 hours of sleep makes me cranky.
  • CharlieBarleyMom
    CharlieBarleyMom Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    8, preferably 9 hours. I work second shift and I don't get out of work until 11pm - by the time I drive home, feed the dog, take care of the cat box and let the dog out for a bit, it's midnight. I'm diving into bed, tv on as background noise, catch up with my WordFeud games and I'm out before 1 am... if all goes well.

During the winter I sleep until 10ish... but during the summer, because the sun shines so brightly into my room even with the shades pulled, it's more like 8:30 and I push getting out of bed until 9...

Otherwise, like so many others here already stated, bear!
  • hillview2
    hillview2 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I try to get to bed by 10 or 10:15 and am up by 5:30 or 6 (kids)
  • Alidecker
    Alidecker Posts: 1,262 Member
    Options
    7 is my perfect number, feel great with 7 hours, 8 is OK, anything over 8 and I am tired all day. I can survive pretty well on 6 too, but less than that and I'm not happy.
  • amyamadea
    amyamadea Posts: 17
    Options
    Nowhere near enough.
    If I get to sleep naturally, from when I fall asleep to when I wake up I usually get 10 hours. But I am an insomniac so quite often sit up all/most of the night. I'd estimate I usually get between 5-7 hours.
  • april522
    april522 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    I usually get around 7 hours of sleep. That seems to work well for me now. I was getting 9 hours of sleep at one time, and I was always dragging - and had less energy. I feel so much better with roughly 7 a night now.
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    6-7 hours on average but now that school is out (I was a school bus driver) I'll probably average more like 8-9
  • saldous
    saldous Posts: 4
    Options
    I usually get about 6 hours sleep, but I need more. On weekends I make up for it, last Friday night I slept for 10 hours straight!
  • katkins3
    katkins3 Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    Oh Boy! If I don't get my 8 hours you don't want to be around me the first hour I'm up. All my daughters are the same!
  • MissingMinnesota
    MissingMinnesota Posts: 7,486 Member
    Options
    wow aren't you all lucky! I am lucky when I get 6 hours of sleep. I get up at 4:50am and don't get home until close to 9pm. I need at least 2 hours to have dinner and decompress from the day which leaves me with about 6 hours if I get to bed by 11.
  • pjhrt
    pjhrt Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I find that I "find things to do" which prevent me getting to bed at a reasonable time...I'm usually knackered by Friday night and will often fall asleep on the sofa or the rug on the floor! I normally get around 6-6.5 hours a night.