Army veteran from Akron, OH looking for weight loss support

Options
When I was in the Army, I was in great shape with other soldiers envious of my running and weight lifting ability. Now, I am ashamed of where I am. Since discharge, I've gained over 100 pounds due to depression/anxiety, medications for it, and an all around lack of discipline. I started getting my life back on track while going to a gym and lifting heavy (135 bench and 200 squat) but then another curve ball was thrown at me. I was involved in a bad car accident where I was lucky enough to escape with just a head injury and back injury. That was in January and I'm still not able to work out (MRI on back is in 10 days). I've gained back the weight I had loss and am now at the highest I've ever been.
I'm starting a new teaching job in the fall and want my students not to see a fat person that has no control over food but rather a veteran that lives a healthy lifestyle who truly cares for their well-being.
If anyone relates to this, I'm looking for some online support so I can be proud to be a veteran again.

Replies

• Rebekahl87
    Rebekahl87 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    First off, thank you for your service! I have two brothers who have both served (both Army) and I've see the toll it can take post-discharge. How's your nutrition currently? The best you can do for yourself while you're on the side-lines, so to speak, it to get that in line. I've sent you a friend request. I've found success by having support and encouragement and I hope I can pay it forward to you in your journey.
  • b3achy
    b3achy Posts: 2,056 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Sent you a friend request. We both have similar stories post Army, though I'm a few decades older. Get your head around the calorie goals and macros. It will help as you are recovering. It's going to be a marathon journey if you are trying to lose 100 lbs (ie, probably longer than getting it done by the fall if you want a healthy loss), but willing to be there to encourage along the way! Just draw a line in the sand and work your plan from this day forward. The past can't be changed, so no shame allowed - what's done is done. Just start to be smart with your decisions from now on. You can do it!
  • AlexisJ330
    AlexisJ330 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Thanks, my goal is 20lbs by 9/1. Baby steps.
  • lra6805
    lra6805 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi Alexis! I also want to start with a thank you for your service. This is not technically weight related, but have you checked out Patriot Project? It is a program that gives Chiropractic care to Veteran's. Most facilities will not just give Chiropractic care, but also well rounded wellness support. I am originally from Canton, OH and personally know the doctors who started this program. I can also refer you to a wonderful practice in the Canton area if you are interested. My husband and I fully support this program (he is a Patriot Project Chiropractor) and our office provides wellness and nutrition support to those seeking care here in KY. I will send you a friend request as well, I personally have found that support and accountability are the biggest keys when you want to make changes! We have got your back!!
  • b3achy
    b3achy Posts: 2,056 Member
    Options
    lra6805 wrote: »
    Hi Alexis! I also want to start with a thank you for your service. This is not technically weight related, but have you checked out Patriot Project? It is a program that gives Chiropractic care to Veteran's. Most facilities will not just give Chiropractic care, but also well rounded wellness support. I am originally from Canton, OH and personally know the doctors who started this program. I can also refer you to a wonderful practice in the Canton area if you are interested. My husband and I fully support this program (he is a Patriot Project Chiropractor) and our office provides wellness and nutrition support to those seeking care here in KY. I will send you a friend request as well, I personally have found that support and accountability are the biggest keys when you want to make changes! We have got your back!!

Ira, I was so excited to see this given some of my back problems, but alas, they only offer care to Active Military and their dependents, Wounded Vets (ie, wounded while in the Service), and dependents of those killed while on Active duty, per their website. There are a bunch of us that don't qualify even though we're Veterans. Sigh, it is what it is. Still sounds like a great program. I'll have to spread the word to some of my active military friends.
  • AlexisJ330
    AlexisJ330 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • nicholehwood
    nicholehwood Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Alex I am also a veteran and completely understand where you are coming from. I have put on 100 pounds since my ETS date. I am ashamed of myself now but I am ready for a change. I have set the goal of losing 100 pounds over the next year. I am just like you and want to be a proud veteran again and I am finally in a place that I know I can do it now.
  • sheddingkay
    sheddingkay Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm in the akron area, looking to lose about the same amount of weight. Sending you a friend request. :)
  • GemTheSavage
    GemTheSavage Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Army vet here also, add me battle buddy ;)