Dairy Free Gluten Free Challenge

Options
The time I was fittest in my life is when I was dairy and gluten free. I don't necessarily think I have a gluten allergy persay, but the frankenwheat out there that's over modified and processed does not sit well with me. The dairy free is what is the hardest as I love half and half in my coffee and like to make cauliflower pizza which has some cheese. After my initial dairy free time, I can't even stand the orange cheeses now and I tend to stick to feta and mozzarella. I don't want to do soy cheese or fake cheese and I think that is over-processed and just as bad. I can do without bread as I have such a bad reaction to it, but I'm hoping a few months off dairy will lower my inflammation and then I might have a bit of cheese but eat very sparingly. I'm using coconut cream from Trader Joe's as a substitute, but am going to stay away from almond milk and soy. I have found drinking a cold brew makes it easier to not have anything in it. I stay away from adding sugar, because I don't want to switch one addiction for another.
Anyway, I didn't know if anyone else is on a gluten or dairy free situation and need support. I don't need much as I know I can do it, but it's nice to find like minded people as sometimes the rest of the world just thinks of you as an outcast. I don't want to over do the gluten free products either as they are usually loaded with sugar. I'm trying to focus on whole foods rather than things coming out of boxes.

Replies

• shuki_cotren
    shuki_cotren Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I am also gluten and dairy free! I just did the 21 day sugar detox but I quit after Day 14 and am gradually adding a little sugar back in. I eat paleo, but not because I think grains are evil- mostly because I think there is still confusion about how diet and the gut impact autoimmune diseases and I was diagnosed with lupus a few years back.

So I am following a no grain, no legume, or dairy lifestyle "just in case" it makes my disease progression worse by causing inflammation in my body. Not to mention all of the fast food and sugary foods I ate before going paleo! So there are a lot of benefits for me.
  • WestAusMama
    WestAusMama Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hey, your post really encouraged me to hear you felt fittest gluten and dairy free,

I am off both as I have developed an intolerance and it affected my nursing newborn too.

I am taking Lactase enzyme to help me [hopefully] re-introduce raw or organic coffee into my diet down the track. I'm mostly sugar free, but still have a few things [like PB2 crackers] while I'm nursing for convenience sake.

Once baby has weaned I'd like to do a few cleanses ad detoxes to help with the extra 40lbs I'm carrying after 7 back-to-back pregnancies.

Glad to hear more ideas on dairy and gluten free diet.

Do you have Pinterest?

xx Cat

• Tim_Cooper
    Tim_Cooper Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hi, hope your challenge goes well.

I'm a coeliac, so eating gluten free is normal for me. This may not apply to you (or anyone posting so far), but a word of warning regarding gluten free substitutes. Avoid them if you're trying to lose weight as they're usually packed full of sugar, fat and salt to make them taste nicer. Completely ruins the idea that GF substitutes are healthier! For me, dieting involves cutting back on GF bread and pasta as much as cutting out junk food.

Good luck everyone :smile: