1/2 ironman training plan?

Options
14567810»

Replies

• dee_thurman
    dee_thurman Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I have worked a few hill days. I have road at different times of the day to experience wind. I am consistently hitting that number which probably is great but it is a big improvement from where I started.
  • dee_thurman
    Options
    Completed my first brick yesterday. I swam a mile in the pool and road 30 miles on the bike. My heart rate was a little bit up after getting out of the pool and when I first started on my bike (bad swimming form.) Once I started riding on the bike my heart rate went back down to normal and after the first few minutes it felt like a normal ride. I am sure the run after the bike is much harder.
  • dee_thurman
    Options
    I am taking a trip that isn't a part of my training on Tuesday. I am riding around 90 miles and meeting my family to watch a baseball game that evening. I plan on traveling around 40-50 miles and eat lunch and take a break. Get back on the bike and ride around 20-25 and then take another break and eat. Finish with the last 20-25. My family and I are meeting up at a hotel to swim at the hotel pool / play and then go to the game at night. I am waking up the next morning and riding around 45 miles to a campsite. Staying the night and getting up the next day and riding 30-40 miles home. Does anyone have any tips or thoughts on my trip?
  • sarabushby
    sarabushby Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    Good luck! That is my only thought lol. I'm sure you'll be fine, most I've ever done in one day is 100miles. I guess a lot will depend on the weather conditions, if it's windy it'll be so much tougher than if it's a nice still day. Will you have anyone to ride with? Hope you know the way!
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    If the time in the saddle is way more than ever done - the initial pain will be interesting climbing back on - and it likely won't diminish if that new.
    I'd suggest don't let the group drive away on next day before you confirm a bit on the road you'll be able to finish in timely manner.

Know how to change a flat if you don't. Carry 2 tubes perhaps and good frame pump.
    Know where potential water stops are about 30-35 miles on first leg in case this is through unpopulated areas, otherwise I guess not a factor.

Watch the stairs at the game!
  • dee_thurman
    Options
    LOL - As I am typing and reading your posts, I am going to continue to plan. My plan is to ride 55 miles and stop and sit and eat at a restaurant along my route. A local dive that looks great. I will load my two water bottles that I take on every ride and fill them up. Hop back on my bike an hour later and finish the last 30 miles. It is actually a total of 85 miles to the hotel. The next morning it is only about 35 miles to the camp ground site where I will stop and camp.

The first 35 miles of my trip is along the normal trail that I always ride. After that I will be riding roads that I have never traveled (hopefully part of the fun and adventure, right?)

On the way back I figured I will be battling a little fatigue from the initial trip it is broken up into two days to get back. A rest/recovery day of only 35 miles to the camp ground. Then on Thursday 50 miles to get home.

I will use this trip as my riding for the week and I will make up my running and swimming the remaining of my days when I get back.

Will I be that sore after riding 85 miles instead of my normal 45? I hope it doesn't crush my legs where I can't walk up steps...
  • sarabushby
    Options
    Hey @dee_thurman are you back? How was your trip? Tell us about it :)

Btw I am off to register and rack my bike at Windsor tomorrow for my first Olympic Tri of the year on Sunday so I'm super nervous and need something to take my mind off it so pls do spill!
  • dee_thurman
    Options
    my son got sick so I was unable to go on the trip. Good luck on your Olympic Tri. I can't wait to hear about it.
  • sarabushby
    Options
    Oh no, I'm sorry Dee, I hope he is on the mend?

The weather was against us yesterday, it poured with rain so we had wet roads for the bike and everything in transition got soaked through but I had a great race otherwise. Got a new PB overall, much better than I had even dared hope for and I got new PBs for the swim and for the 10k run as stand alone distances let alone part of the whole thing. So training paid off and I am absolutely thrilled :)

Have you got your shorter distance race coming up soon?
  • dee_thurman
    Options
    Congrats on what sounds like a personal best Tri in the rain! I cancelled my shorter race. I am looking to find a new one. I need to look into it more. I am still planning on doing a long trip as well. I will keep you updated as those things happen in the near future. I looked at my last posts and I don't think that I posted my last transition bike/run. I should say my only transition bike/run that I have done. I biked 25 miles at 17.5 mph and ran 5 miles at a 6:58 pace. I looked down at my watch after the first mile and I didn't believe that I had ran that fast of a first mile. I guess it is because I was warmed up and loose. My rate averaged around 135 during my 5 miles running. I was pleased with my first transition run from bike to run.
  • heybales
    Options
    Excellent fitness and performance level.

You are going places unless injury knocks you out.

Did the initial running feel funny at all?

And excellent HR since it is usually falsely elevated on the run compared to no biking first.

Basically hitting Olympic distance there.
  • glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    Options
    Solid run pace there off the bike. What did your effort level feel like? Was the ride hilly? Comparatively the speed you put down on the bike was pretty "weak" if you are able to run 5 miles < 7:00. You probably could move quite a bit faster on the bike given your run "engine" is already pretty strong.
  • dee_thurman
    Options
    I don't know what I am doing on the bike or I don't have the correct bike... When I have biked I can ride a 17.5 mph pace for 35/40 miles but even on 20 miles I don't get much faster than that. I just started biking and I am sure that my body isn't used to it and I just don't know what I am doing either.

It felt like I gave more effort on the bike than I did in the first 4 miles of my run. I said to myself I was going to run a good nice pace for my run but not try to run a race pace. I looked at my watch after the first mile and thought that the gps on my watch had messed up and I was running my normal 7:30 pace I usually run. After the 2nd mile I just kept going at that same pace. I felt good. It was a nice cool evening with little wind which helped my bike and my run with very little incline (but there was some, not a totally flat trail.) I saw that I was on pace to run under a 7:00 minute pace so I did give some effort on the last mile to make sure that all 5 of my miles I ran under 7:00. My first mile off the bike felt a little funny and it felt like I was running slower than what I was actually running.
  • heybales
    Options
    You'll probably have some form kick in better, because that's pretty good.

Just like your run didn't get that fast over a short time - form improvements and specific muscle growth to support it.

You may have some weaker muscles that have yet to gain strength for the bike focus.

On shorter rides, you can make it like intervals if you have some inclines - try to keep the cadence at whatever is normal, and gearing lower than you'd normally do - and really push those muscles through the sequence.
    Do that on hills, recover, and you are duplicating as close as you can for cardio - a lifting workout.
    Overload, rest, repeat.

Then give a day to recover from that type of workout - just like you would a lifting workout. Every workout hard as you can is counter-productive.

The workout doesn't make you stronger, it tears you up if you can do it right.
    The rest for recovery and repair is what makes you stronger.
  • sarabushby
    Options
    Hey @dee_thurman how're you getting on? How's training? Have you done your first shorter distance full Tri yet?
  • Alisonswim46
    Alisonswim46 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Please, please, please get some swimming lessons under your belt. The swimncan be dangerous for even the most seasoned swimmer. Generally, people take the swim as "I'm just going to finish it, I can do that." If you've never swam in the open water and you are not a strong swimmer, get some coaching. Swimming is incredibly technique driven.