Body type? Overweight ectomorph?

Options
So, I'm trying to dial in what my macros should be to lose weight. When graduated HS, was 5' 8" and 117 lbs - always thought of as super skinny yet often out-ate others at the table. I just didn't gain and am borderline small-medium framed. Mid 20's, 125 lbs, still lean. Healthiest was probably at about 27 yrs old and 130 lbs (had been lifting w/ machines for a year). Fast forward to now....is it possible for ectomorphs to be overweight, or am I really (at lower weight) skinny endomorph? Now at 44 yo, I'm at 160 lbs and want to get to 135-140, or where my measurements were when I was 27. As far as curves...hourglass w/ slightly larger hips than chest when slimmed down. Right now, hips larger by a few inches.

So anyhow, from what I understand macro ratios to lose weight vary a bit by soma type. Ideas?

Replies

• diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Keep in mind that somatypes don't really hold up to scrutiny. They were originally created by a psychologist based on comparing body shapes to personality traits. There's no actual need to diet differently based on the shape of your body.

I'm also 5'8" and at 160 you're just at the top of the normal weight range, so weight loss will be a little slower for you than you might want. Slow and steady wins the race, though, right?

I had really good success setting my macros based on the instructions here, though your mileage may vary: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/819055/setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets/p1
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I think somatypes etc etc is a load of bunk!
  • elgie3
    elgie3 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I guess that kind of makes sense. Do know that for me, I'm pinching more than 1" (more like 6-7") - does that reference age me? :) The whole body type thing is confusing as, when healthy, I'm hourglass w/ long limbs and have never been muscular/athletic, even when lifting heavy. Weight gain primarily due to being so much more sedentary than was previously but also SUGAR.
  • JessicaMcB
    JessicaMcB Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    I don't buy into somatypes but assuming I did I fit every criteria of an ectomorph. Believe me when I say I was huge, which would stand to reason that "ectomorphs" can absolutely be overweight. Back when they taught that in high school gym I feel like the theory surrounding ectomorphs was that they were better at burning fat than the other two somatypes, not that they couldn't accumulate it with enough effort ;)

Dianne's link for macros is fab and will do you well in your meso-ecto-fabulous weight loss journey!
  • SonicKrunch
    SonicKrunch Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    While I do believe people can fall under the categories of body type, I don't believe we need to eat differently for each. Case for me is even at my smallest(in adulthood) I was about a 31" waist. My bones essentially stopped me from going smaller, but I'm not tall, I'm 5'10. Other individuals that are 5'10 can easily get down into the 28" waistline or lower. I'd call myself an endomorph and them maybe a mesomorph. But again I wouldn't consider a different diet for each person.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    Use MFP to give you a calorie goal, macro breakdown is not important when losing weight. Some people prefer high protein, others prefer high carb. Find what is sustainable for you