Losing weight after hysterectomy and no HRT

Options
I am 43 and had a total hysterectomy last year due to severe endometriosis. I am not on HRT due to the endometriosis and having a blood clot post surgery. I have gained about 25 pounds after my surgery. I have been really struggling with trying to lose the weight. Just looking for some advice and/or success stories from people who are in the same situation as me. It is very frustrating to be working so hard at losing the weight and not seeing those pounds go away. Thanks!

Replies

• karenclintwalker09
    karenclintwalker09 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I had my hysterectomy three years ago, same situation, I am 50 .The Dr. Says watch your calories our body burns less as we get older, so we have to exercise more, she suggested walking, so I have stopped pop, keeping a daily diary of my food and calories with fitness pal and have slowly started walking, just this week , so far I have lost a pound, it's a start, best of luck to us both.
  • tracidee366
    tracidee366 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I'm over a year out from mine, I still have my ovaries so I don't know how different that is. I also just turned 50. I have to be extra diligent. When I'm serious (I'm still slacking off more than I should) I weigh everything, log everything and make sure I have a fairly decent calorie deficit. It's working and the weight is coming off. It is going a lot more slowly now, but I'm not sure how much of that is the surgery or just the fact that I'm older.

The takeaway is, you can do it. It will happen, just probably not as fast as you would like. Ha! It never is though.

Good luck and you've got this.
  • markswife1992
    markswife1992 Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    i had mine 3 years ago (i was 42) and i have packed on so much weight. it's so frustrating. i also have other issues, but honestly that was a big catalyst to my weight gain. i was at goal before my surgery and now have 60 lbs to lose. i've lost almost 8 so far, so hopefully i can get it off. :neutral:
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Also look into any prescriptions you might be taking.
    Sometimes, some medications can make losing weight harder.
    Even a strong antacid taken daily can cause problems.
    Opening my diary to the public helps me stay accountable.
  • markswife1992
    markswife1992 Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Also look into any prescriptions you might be taking.
    Sometimes, some medications can make losing weight harder.
    Even a strong antacid taken daily can cause problems.
    Opening my diary to the public helps me stay accountable.

i agree - check on all meds you are taking. i am on seroquel and it makes things really difficult in losing.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,563 Member
    Options
    Not an advise for how to eat, but osteoporosis might be a serious risk after a hysterectomy. I suggest starting a weight lifting programme as strong muscles also strengthen the bones. Plus if you lose weight you'll also lose muscles, which is also not good for your bones. Don't worry, you won't get bulky from lifting weights, but having stronger muscles will also allow you to eat more food as they need energy. :)
  • fattynomore78
    fattynomore78 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I had a total hystrectomy done in Narch 2015 and I'm only 37 mine was for my uterus shifting to my right side and my right ovary deattached and reattached to my abdominal wall of my stomach and my tubes were twisted the only thing that saved was my ovaries and now I'm a year later I'm trying to lose 70 pounds as I couldn't work out without all kinds of pain but now working on that goal please feel free to add me as a friend
  • de7inhim
    de7inhim Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Hysterectomies change our hormone balance and impact metabolism and appetite. It was never discussed with me as my gyn believed that any of my 7 tumors could be cancer. Once I heard that I turned off my brain and just wanted it out of me. All gone! I did hrt for 6 months. Not good for me. Prior to hysterectomy I had lost 140# and kept it off 3 years. Now, 10 years later it is all back plus 5. If I knew hysterectomy risked my weight loss I now believe I would have taken a chance. This experience ranks with one of the worst decisions of my life. Decisions made in fear rarely yield a good result. I have been demoralized by this.
  • musicfan68
    musicfan68 Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    I had a partial hysterectomy when I was 30. Kept ovaries. Had no trouble losing at least 50 lbs by time I was 42. Kept it off for about 6 yes. Then 2 yes ago started gaining weight fast. Had 16 lb ovarian cyst removed and lost 15 lbs of fluid retained due to the cyst. Had ovaries/cyst removed 1 1/2 yes ago and have lost another 15 lbs watching calories and going to the gym. I haven't noticed it being any harder to lose weight since having ovaries out. No HRT.
  • tryett
    tryett Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    Had mine 19 years ago when I was 38. Gran and mom (mom was 54 when she died) both had ovarian cancer, I have pcos and took clomid to get pregnant (didn't realize clomid and pcos raised the risk of ovarian cancer even more). Then a few years back got diagnosed with extremely low vitamin d. Really hard but not impossible to lose weight.