How to avoid temptation - or at least overcome

Options
I don't know about all of you, but the people in my life provide me with lots of temptation. My coworkers bring in donuts, my husband enables my ice cream habits, etc. How do you avoid giving in to temptation?

Replies

• randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    I use the words, "no thanks".
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    SaritaWolf wrote: »
    I don't know about all of you, but the people in my life provide me with lots of temptation. My coworkers bring in donuts, my husband enables my ice cream habits, etc. How do you avoid giving in to temptation?

How does your husband enable your ice cream habits?
  • SaritaWolf
    SaritaWolf Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I can usually say no just fine to my coworkers, but the constant treats make it hard.

As for my husband, he knows how much I looooove ice cream. Thus, he likes to surprise me with ice cream or when I am down, he likes to bring me ice cream. I know it tastes good in the moment, but I also know I will regret it later. It is hard. Especially since I know he is doing it out of love.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I make those things fit within my calories for the day. I had a donut and ice cream yesterday, and was still within my calorie allotment. I would freak out and lose it if I couldn't fit ice cream or chocolate into every day!
  • PBWaffleCakes
    PBWaffleCakes Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    I always ask myself if I am hungry, then I either drink some water or tea slowly. Usually by that time the sudden urge has left. If not I go for a walk. I make "treats" a normal thing for me within my calories, that way my brain doesn't do the I can't have this, we need this and binge eat it!!!
  • ogtmama
    ogtmama Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    Have you told them in no uncertain terms to stop? It's hard to try to support someone without knowing how. All your husband knows is that ice cream cheers you up...maybe give him/them all a list of other things that make you happy.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    1. Pre-log it into your day or have some sort of discretionary calorie amount for the temptation.
    2. Say "No thanks".
    3. Say "Not right now, but I'll have it later" and actually have it later/the next day.

I can't speak about co-workers, but my husband sometimes brings me chocolate/donuts. He knows I like it and it's usually something I've talked about eating recently (either we don't have it or we couldn't find it at the stores). I accept whatever it is because hey, free food, and I'll try to work into my evening snack or save it for tomorrow.

It's on you to say no. That can be mean, but it's fact.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I can usually say no just fine to my coworkers, but the constant treats make it hard.

As for my husband, he knows how much I looooove ice cream. Thus, he likes to surprise me with ice cream or when I am down, he likes to bring me ice cream. I know it tastes good in the moment, but I also know I will regret it later. It is hard. Especially since I know he is doing it out of love.

Love is when your partner is on-side with what you're trying to do, honours your decision to do so, and becomes part of the solution instead of part of the problem. And since ice cream is apparently a weakness for you, not having someone constantly bringing it home to show you how much they love you would be really helpful. He can certainly show his love for you in other ways, no? Tell him to give you a hug, instead. :)
  • Wicked_Seraph
    Wicked_Seraph Posts: 388 Member
    Options

Just let him know that you truly do appreciate the gesture, but that you're trying to lose weight and that ice cream all the time isn't helpful. If there's a healthier option that you appreciate, maybe suggest that that instead?
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options

Love is when your partner is on-side with what you're trying to do, honours your decision to do so, and becomes part of the solution instead of part of the problem. And since ice cream is apparently a weakness for you, not having someone constantly bringing it home to show you how much they love you would be really helpful. He can certainly show his love for you in other ways, no? Tell him to give you a hug, instead. :)

This
  • jaga13
    jaga13 Posts: 1,149 Member
    Options
    Tell your husband you'd rather him give you a massage than bring ice cream. Win win.
  • violetpurdy
    violetpurdy Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I'd take the time to try and find better alternatives and work those into your lifestyle. For example, I love ice cream as well and a few months ago, my friend suggested I try something called 'Arctic Zero'. It's a low calorie ice cream. Maybe you can tell your husband to look for options like that next time he wants to surprise you. If you keep 'temptations' around that aren't as bad, it'll be easier to fit them into your daily calories. You'd be surprised with how many low calorie things exist, so don't hesitate to ever google it. Pinterest is always great for ideas as well. I've found tons of low calorie donut recipes on there. :) good luck!
  • 85Cardinals
    85Cardinals Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    I can resist anything except temptation. --Oscar Wilde
  • lauraesh0384
    lauraesh0384 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    I just say no and try to find an alternative if possible. One of my coworkers made these delicious looking brownies with salted caramel icing. I wanted one so bad. But I was sure one was in the ballpark of 250-300 calories. And I didn't want to waste that many calories. So during my lunch break I went to the store and bought a box of Special K brownies. They weren't very big, but only a whopping 80 calories and it satisfied that craving. And I knew come dinner time, I wouldn't have to starve myself. :smile:
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Tell hubby that the next time he buys you ice cream you will put it down the garbage disposal. If he buys it anyway, follow through on your intention. B)