Topamax

Options
AFewLionCubs
AFewLionCubs Posts: 22 Member
edited June 2016 in Health and Weight Loss
Hello,

I just started taking topamax again. I have history of blood clots, migranes, and allergies to medications. First week of a full dose and I've had minimum side effects.

Reading online I see that many have lost a lot of weight taking this, too.

I'd prefer to be spared horror stories as I am very limited with things I can actually take. But if this has a weight loss perk I would surely like to hear feedback.

The only side effects I've ever had is numbness, tingling, and no more migranes! Now I'm on a higher dose and I am stuggling to eat 1000 calories, before I was shoveling in 2200! I was 203 at the start last week, 197 now, we will see in a week if it's actually weight loss though..

Replies

• alyssa0061
    alyssa0061 Posts: 652 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I can only give you horror stories from my experiences with it but there was an active topic about this a month or so ago. I believe it was incorrectly spelled "Topomax" in the subject if you'd line to search for it. I'd suggest searching Topamax for other threads if you're not finding enough responses. Unfortunately it's a drug that elicits a lot of negativity both from the side effects and personal feelings about taking it.

Edited to finish my sentence properly.
  • HippySkoppy
    HippySkoppy Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    Firstly, I wish you well in getting help for migraines as to me they are the Devil incarnate.

I have tried Topamax for same reasons and it was unfortunately not the drug for me, I felt very ill, thus I think it contributed to weight loss but it wasn't worth it as they didn't help with the migraines at all.

Some people do report weight loss with this drug, lower percentages report it to be weight neutral or even report gains.

IMO drugs affecting weight do so through mainly lowering or increasing your appetite and if you aren't counting calories it is easy to put weight change purely down to a side effect of the drug not change in eating habits.

I hope you continue to gain benefit from the meds. and try to make sure your nutrition is on point as you adjust to the higher dose as 1000 calories is really not enough and don't be afraid to talk to your Dr. if you have any concerns.

All the best.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately I only have horror stories with this medication. I took it for a brief period as a mood stabilizer for bipolar. It was not worth it. Wish I could say positive things, but I can't. I'm sorry.
  • wolfgirl78
    wolfgirl78 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I have nothing good to say about it. My nine year old was prescribed it for his epilepsy. He's now on another medication.
  • AFewLionCubs
    Options
    I guess I'll updalte in a month.

I am not going above 100 mg, its not necessary.

• ctoavs76
    ctoavs76 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I've been on it for almost two years because I get horrible migraines. When I first started taking it, my appetite did decrease, but it eventually leveled out. The only side effect that has remained is that carbonated drinks like soda taste horrible to me. I can't stand to drink them.
  • elphie754
    Options
    I guess I'll updalte in a month.

I am not going above 100 mg, its not necessary.

My side effects started at 75mg and were too extreme to continue taking the medication. Good luck though.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    After reading the other topamax thread I'd be terrified of taking this med.
    OP aren't there other options for you?
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    The first week going okay is a good sign. :)
    I could not get through the first week. Good luck to you.
  • YAYA_of_2
    YAYA_of_2 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I am in Trokendi. It is similar to topamax. I take 100 mg and my dr actually prescribed it to me for weight loss. And as someone stated bother of these meds are not weight loss pills it simply is a possible side effect. They both supress the appetite and certain foods and drinks do taste funny. I don't like and soda, diet either. It all tastes flat. Same with beer. Not that I drink beer a lot but on occasion I like one but now they taste nasty. Tea and coffee is the same.
  • elphie754
    Options
    RodaRose wrote: »
    The first week going okay is a good sign. :)
    I could not get through the first week. Good luck to you.

Not really. Topamax has a cumulative effects and builds up in you system. You also increase the dose gradually. There is a reason it is dictated dopamax.
  • pearceflint92
    pearceflint92 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I'm on a lot of meds including topamax. It cuts my eating down a hell of a lot. I deal with the side effects like I have to, I have no choice. Great for weight loss.
  • AFewLionCubs
    Options
    With every drug there are people telling horror stories. Go to a mom forum and talk about zofran and you'd think you're taking crack or something by their response. Ask about birth control options.

I traded migranes for sleepy feet. Good trade!

Low does Topamax paired with Phentermine is FDA approved for weightloss. I don't think it's frivolous to assume that a high dose of Topamax stand alone is more effective at producing weight loss results than drinking tea.

I've read nothing about it building up or have I found that people who reach a therapeutic level need to continually increase. I do have a close friend who takes topamax, for 3 years, she's always been thin and eats like crap, but eats very little. I just recently found she's on it when I told her. She's been on the same dose for years, 75 mg.
  • luveydov
    luveydov Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I just started on Topamax for a second time. This time for Fibromyalgia. Years ago I took it for a short period of time but had to go off of it because it made me stupid. I was in graduate school at the time and could not manage my required statistics classes. Regarding weight loss, I never, ever thought about food. I practically had to set an alarm to remind myself to eat. My understanding is that this affect eventually goes away. I think I started at 50 mg and may have moved up to 75 mg.

This time, it might have had a similar affect but I have so many other things going on that affect my appetite that I can't really say. Right now I seem to be getting my appetite back and I've only been on the minimum dose of Topamax for a little over a week. My doctor started me on 25 mg this time and will not increase the dosage for 6 weeks to try and minimize the side affects.

Good luck OP.
  • wolfgirl78
    wolfgirl78 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    luveydov wrote: »
    I just started on Topamax for a second time. This time for Fibromyalgia. Years ago I took it for a short period of time but had to go off of it because it made me stupid. I was in graduate school at the time and could not manage my required statistics classes. Regarding weight loss, I never, ever thought about food. I practically had to set an alarm to remind myself to eat. My understanding is that this affect eventually goes away. I think I started at 50 mg and may have moved up to 75 mg.

This time, it might have had a similar affect but I have so many other things going on that affect my appetite that I can't really say. Right now I seem to be getting my appetite back and I've only been on the minimum dose of Topamax for a little over a week. My doctor started me on 25 mg this time and will not increase the dosage for 6 weeks to try and minimize the side affects.

Good luck OP.

My son had to quit taking it also because it made him "stupid." It did control his seizures but that side effect was way too much. He's been on a new med since he weaned off the topamax, that controls his seizures and doesn't have the drastic side effects topamax did.
  • MorganMoreaux
    MorganMoreaux Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    I'll spare you my horror story that started with 35+ pound loss the first month, much of it was muscle. Not sure why you made this post if you don't want honest answers...sticking your head in the sand doesn't change the reality of the situation. Sorry few meds work for you, hopefully you find a better medication in the future.

No, the weightloss doesn't seem to peak, it just continues. When you eventually get back off Topamax the weight will come right back, and you'll still have the muscle loss. Reclaiming that lost muscle takes a lot more time and effort than losing fat. Get monthly bloodwork while taking this - it's systemically tough.
  • AFewLionCubs
    Options
    It's not really sticking my head in the sand, I just think people are quick to complain. I was on the max dose of gabapentin and people love to talk smack about that one but I had no major side effects for a year. Not interested in the our "yelp" culture with pharmaceuticals.
  • AFewLionCubs
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I'll gain the weight back... if I eat it back.

I gained the weight with pregnancy and breastfeeding. I haven't not, not been pregnant or breastfeeding in almost 5 years, I don't know that my appetite will be crazy without those factors.

You don't know my work out routine.

You don't know what my diet consists of.

So, maybe you should take your ASSumptuions and place them elsewhere?
  • elphie754
    Options
    Asks for reviews but only wants the positive reviews....

Gets upset with anyone who says anything negative about the medication and tries to counter it...

Why even ask? I assure you, this is not the only place you will find people saying negative things about this medication. Almost every review site has multiple negative reviews about this medication. It's nickname is "dopamax". People literally forget the next word they want to say while taking this medication. It has actually been removed from some treatment recommendations because the side effects out weight the benefits.
  • AFewLionCubs
    Options
    What does the ignore button do?

If you do not like MY post then stay off of it.