Should I post an actual photo of myself...

Options
...as a profile picture? I've told some family members and very close friends that I'm starting a weight-loss journey, but I don't want real-life friends and acquaintances to find me on here. The main reason is that, if I fail at losing weight, it will be embarrassing.

What do you all think?

Replies

• JaneSnowe
    JaneSnowe Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    You can always post an actual photo later on. If you're not sure, then don't yet. ;)
  • xCyanideGirlx
    xCyanideGirlx Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Whatever you're comfortable with. Personally, im totally ok people knowing im a rare pepe.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    I'm proud of being a grumpy cat (currently, previously I was a mint oreo ice cream sandwich). The reality is I like to keep various areas of my life separate. I don't drink with my work colleagues, they don't need to know who I am here. I'm not worried about what they will think if I fail, because I don't share this with anyone. It's my personal experience. We all go through periods of triumph and challenge. They would understand, but I do sometimes share personal stuff here, and I don't feel the need to have all people in my life know everything. I've never understood that about social media. I really don't feel that there's anything interesting enough in my life that people would want to follow and know about all the time. The interesting stories I do have, could never be shared publicly.
  • tugsandpulls760
    tugsandpulls760 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    OODone wrote: »
    It doesn't bother me that people know I'm Emma Watson. Exposing yourself can be quite magical.

Your beautiful
  • LoveEpifanie
    LoveEpifanie Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Do what you are comfortable with. i chose to not post a picture of myself because I want to remain somewhat anonymous. I want to be able to share my thoughts without risk of people I know finding my profile. I may one day post a real picture. No one is going to judge you for not posting a real picture!
  • Bluepegasus
    Bluepegasus Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    It's up to you. I didn't have any profile picture at all for a long time, and then to start with I just had a profile pic of my kettlebells as I preferred to be anonymous. It's only recently that I actually put a picture of myself, maybe my confidence has come because I've lost weight. Also, I've been on here for years on and off, but it's only this year that I found that you could have friends and partake in the forums! I suppose that's also part of the reason of having a photo, so my friend on here know who they're talking to!
  • Mr_Stabbems
    Mr_Stabbems Posts: 4,773 Member
    Options
    just make sure its a picture of your whole face and not some cropped weird thing....those ppl are freaking annoying.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,981 Member
    Options
    I used to worry the hunters would find me, but I figure now I can outrun most of them, or kick their petooties (because I would never kick **kittens**).

Seriously, you can use any picture you want, or none at all. And you can do it or not do it for whatever reasons you like.