Need Help planning Route and saving battery life on my cell phone

Options
I am going on a bike trip. I am searching for the best way to use my cell phone for directions (hopefully listen to the directions as I ride) but still have enough battery life to be on the ride for 8/9 hours. Can anyone give me some advice? Thanks

Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,854 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Get a solar recharger ... and a paper map.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Would suggest using a Garmin GPS unit rather than your cell phone for navigation TBH.

I carry a small battery pack to recharge phone & lights on very long rides. Garmin seems to have a 12hr battery life.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    How many turns are you making in an 8 hour trip where you need to listen to direction? Look at the route on a map and know where you're going beforehand. Print out the map and don't use the phone's GPS.
  • dee_thurman
    dee_thurman Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    isn't there a way that you can download your directions on your phone and use it offline? I thought I read about this and was wondering if anyone has ever done it. I really don't want to pay anything to do it. If I have to go out and buy something else I would rather use a paper map or use my phone for part of the ride and turn it off for part of the ride etc... I just thought with everything that we can get with cell phone's there should be a way that we can do this? NO?
  • scorpio516
    scorpio516 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    Cue sheet
    Garmin Touring - supposed to have 17 hours of battery life
    Polar V650 - supposed 10 hour battery life
    Anker 20k+ mAh battery.