What else could be wrong?

Options
jcast92
jcast92 Posts: 144 Member
edited June 2016 in Health and Weight Loss
Hi everyone,

I'm getting a little frustrated with my weight this week and I'm wondering if any of you have any insight as to why this could be.

I've been logging my meals pretty strictly lately (particularly from Wednesday on of this week, and before Saturday of last week), but my weight keeps going up! Once this week I even wondered if I had under-eaten because I felt more hunger before bed than normal. The weight gain has occurred more so during this week than any other week.
I always weigh in the morning under the same conditions, and my weight has gone from 137.4 to 138.4 to 138.2 to 139.2.
I used a measuring tape and there's an increase. There are strength-training workouts I've done during the week that I don't include in my diary because I don't want to give myself an excuse to overeat. I've been trying to take at least 10,000 steps each day lately too.

And no, it doesn't have anything to do with that time of the month. That just ended on Sunday. (I do take BCP, but I don't think that's a significant factor; I've been taking it for years).

Too soon to tell? Should I just let it go?

Replies

• sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    Are you weighing all your food and logging everything consistently every day?
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Follow the flow chart... I bet it is water retention. A person just does not gain 2 pounds eating a deficit.. But we will ask you if you weigh and log all your food to be sure you are adhering to the deficit to make sure you are not underestimating your food intake.

SInce you do not eat back any exercise calories it should be food logging, water retention..

Besides time of the month, dehydration, carb intake, electrolyte imbalance, sodium, muscle repair from extensive exercise/weightlifting call all be water weight contributors.

pgkgabytvpxg.jpg
  • vivelajackie
    vivelajackie Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    In the long run, two pounds is nothing to be concerned over. It really, really is not the end of the world, and definitely no reason to just let it go. That kind of mindset leads to weight gain exceeding the mere two pounds you were so worried about.

Your weight fluctuates. It can fluctuate, easily, the weight you're seeing. Bloat can attribute to the measurements you're also seeing.

Now... let's pretend it's not your body just being a body and not a statue:
    -How are you logging? Do you weigh your food on a scale?
    -Are you offsetting any possible higher sodium intake with plenty of water? Either way, drink water to lose water weight.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Are you using a food scale? If not you are probably eating more than you think.

Also if you do have one, you might want to consider weighing the fiber one and nutrition to go bars. While they are packaged as single servings, things like that will tend to weigh a bit more then a serving size should. I had a whole box of protein bars that weighed anywhere from 5-15 grams more than they should. That resulted in up to 56 extra calories in a bar.

I also see a couple days where you only had breakfast logged or nothing at all. Those could easily add to the weight gain your experiencing.
  • jcast92
    Options

This week, yes! I bought a little food scale a while back. I think what bothers me is that I wasn't measuring everything as consistently before this week and I was at least maintaining. Now that I am being more strict about it, my weight is going up although I haven't changed anything. If anything, I'm doing a lot more walking in addition to the interval workout I usually do 3-5 x a week.

Thanks for the feedback. I think I was hoping there was something simple I had overlooked or had forgotten could be contributing to it, but it's probably something I'll have to wait out :smile:
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Options
    If it's any consolation I've noticed that my weight seems to climb just a bit right before a big drop.
  • jcast92
    Options
    Are you using a food scale? If not you are probably eating more than you think.

Also if you do have one, you might want to consider weighing the fiber one and nutrition to go bars. While they are packaged as single servings, things like that will tend to weigh a bit more then a serving size should. I had a whole box of protein bars that weighed anywhere from 5-15 grams more than they should. That resulted in up to 56 extra calories in a bar.

I also see a couple days where you only had breakfast logged or nothing at all. Those could easily add to the weight gain your experiencing.

Wow, I never even thought about weighing the bars, thanks!

Some weekends I do slack off on the logging if I'm eating at someone else's place or someone is taking me out to eat or something, but I think I'll try my best to log weekends now too.

Do you usually log or do you ever try intuitive eating?
  • hypodonthaveme
    hypodonthaveme Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    You said you have been walking and using weights more this past week, could it be water retention? Your muscles will retain water for the repairing after a workout. Keep weighing your foods ( yes that means everything) and drink plenty of water.
  • jcast92
    Options
    In the long run, two pounds is nothing to be concerned over. It really, really is not the end of the world, and definitely no reason to just let it go. That kind of mindset leads to weight gain exceeding the mere two pounds you were so worried about.

Your weight fluctuates. It can fluctuate, easily, the weight you're seeing. Bloat can attribute to the measurements you're also seeing.

Now... let's pretend it's not your body just being a body and not a statue:
    -How are you logging? Do you weigh your food on a scale?
    -Are you offsetting any possible higher sodium intake with plenty of water? Either way, drink water to lose water weight.

Thanks! By let it go, I just meant forget about it. I won't give up yet, don't worry!

I weigh most of the food on a scale (but not the bars, which I should start weighing now as well). To be honest, yesterday I probably had less water than I should have because I forgot to take my usual water bottle to work.
    I had forgotten that water could be a contributing factor. Thanks for your input! Everyone has a slightly different perspective and I appreciate that.
  • sunnybeaches105
    Options
    jcast92 wrote: »

This week, yes! I bought a little food scale a while back. I think what bothers me is that I wasn't measuring everything as consistently before this week and I was at least maintaining. Now that I am being more strict about it, my weight is going up although I haven't changed anything. If anything, I'm doing a lot more walking in addition to the interval workout I usually do 3-5 x a week.

Thanks for the feedback. I think I was hoping there was something simple I had overlooked or had forgotten could be contributing to it, but it's probably something I'll have to wait out :smile:

How are you dealing with exercise calories? Understand that your NEAT estimate (what MFP gives you) may be off because of your activity setting and because it's an estimate based on the general population. Every individual at the same gender, weight and height will vary to some degree from that estimate. Also note that exercise calories are also estimates and if you eat all of the exercise calories then you may slow or stop weight loss if they're overestimated. Lastly, your weight will vary from day to day based on water weight fluctuations and what you have eaten or excreted. Be patient and watch the trend line. You've only been logging a week.
  • jcast92
    Options
    emdeesea wrote: »
    If it's any consolation I've noticed that my weight seems to climb just a bit right before a big drop.

Haha, it is! :smiley: Motivation to stick to it in case this is what's happening here too!
  • jcast92
    Options
    RoxieDawn wrote: »
    Follow the flow chart... I bet it is water retention. A person just does not gain 2 pounds eating a deficit.. But we will ask you if you weigh and log all your food to be sure you are adhering to the deficit to make sure you are not underestimating your food intake.

SInce you do not eat back any exercise calories it should be food logging, water retention..

Besides time of the month, dehydration, carb intake, electrolyte imbalance, sodium, muscle repair from extensive exercise/weightlifting call all be water weight contributors.

This is comforting. Water retention would account for the measurements too, right? I think I may try decreasing my carb intake as well in favor of protein or something. All of this talk about water is making me thirsty...
  • jcast92
    Options

How are you dealing with exercise calories? Understand that your NEAT estimate (what MFP gives you) may be off because of your activity setting and because it's an estimate based on the general population. Every individual at the same gender, weight and height will vary to some degree from that estimate. Also note that exercise calories are also estimates and if you eat all of the exercise calories then you may slow or stop weight loss if they're overestimated. Lastly, your weight will vary from day to day based on water weight fluctuations and what you have eaten or excreted. Be patient and watch the trend line. You've only been logging a week.

I've been doing the interval workouts (it's a class that involves high intensity cardio combined with strength moves) for almost a month now but not including that at all in the exercise calories. My activity setting on MFP is sedentary. I've been following that estimation merely because sometimes when I try not to eat back exercise calories I feel noticeably hungry. Is that how it's supposed to feel?

• jcast92
    Options
    You said you have been walking and using weights more this past week, could it be water retention? Your muscles will retain water for the repairing after a workout. Keep weighing your foods ( yes that means everything) and drink plenty of water.

Well I've been walking more this past week, but I've been doing the combination cardio/strength training classes for almost a month now. But since the routine isn't always the same, I guess I can't rule it out as a possibility?
  • Scamd83
    Scamd83 Posts: 808 Member
    Options
    I've been logging my meals pretty strictly lately (particularly from Wednesday on of this week, and before Saturday of last week)

So you logged 'strictly' until Saturday last week and from Wednesday this week? So that means from Saturday last week until the end of Tuesday this week you didn't log 'strictly'? If that is the case, I think you have your answer. Some people tend to think logging some days but not others is enough, and sometimes it is if it forms good habits. But people make the mistake of underestimating just how much you can completely undo any progress in just a matter of days and that we are naturally inclined to be biased towards how much we eat. I.e. we tend to undercount calories because we want to eat as much as we can.
  • sunnybeaches105
    Options

I've been doing the interval workouts (it's a class that involves high intensity cardio combined with strength moves) for almost a month now but not including that at all in the exercise calories. My activity setting on MFP is sedentary. I've been following that estimation merely because sometimes when I try not to eat back exercise calories I feel noticeably hungry. Is that how it's supposed to feel?

Hunger cues are different for every individual and they are not an accurate or reliable indicator for many people. I would simple be patient, give it a couple more weeks using your current settings, and see what happens. I personally tend to lose weight in fits and starts even when I'm very consistent from day to day with my calories.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,986 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone,

I'm getting a little frustrated with my weight this week and I'm wondering if any of you have any insight as to why this could be.

I've been logging my meals pretty strictly lately (particularly from Wednesday on of this week, and before Saturday of last week), but my weight keeps going up! Once this week I even wondered if I had under-eaten because I felt more hunger before bed than normal. The weight gain has occurred more so during this week than any other week.
    I always weigh in the morning under the same conditions, and my weight has gone from 137.4 to 138.4 to 138.2 to 139.2.
    I used a measuring tape and there's an increase. There are strength-training workouts I've done during the week that I don't include in my diary because I don't want to give myself an excuse to overeat. I've been trying to take at least 10,000 steps each day lately too.

And no, it doesn't have anything to do with that time of the month. That just ended on Sunday. (I do take BCP, but I don't think that's a significant factor; I've been taking it for years).

Too soon to tell? Should I just let it go?

So, by your own admission, your logging was lax for four out of the last seven days, and you're "frustrated" over a gain of less than two pounds, which is well within normal weight fluctuations, even weighing yourself under same conditions at the same time.

What you need is patience and perspective, and if this week is an indicator, much more consistency in your logging. If this week is atypical, just get back on the bandwagon.

So, yes, it's too soon to tell (since you have accurate data for less than 50% of the days in question) and you should just let it go.
  • jcast92
    Options

Hunger cues are different for every individual and they are not an accurate or reliable indicator for many people. I would simple be patient, give it a couple more weeks using your current settings, and see what happens. I personally tend to lose weight in fits and starts even when I'm very consistent from day to day with my calories.

Okay! It helps to hear what it's like for other people. It's been so long since I've actively tried to lose weight that I really don't know what it's like anymore. Thanks for all the help!
  • jcast92
    Options

So, by your own admission, your logging was lax for four out of the last seven days, and you're "frustrated" over a gain of less than two pounds, which is well within normal weight fluctuations, even weighing yourself under same conditions at the same time.

What you need is patience and perspective, and if this week is an indicator, much more consistency in your logging. If this week is atypical, just get back on the bandwagon.

So, yes, it's too soon to tell (since you have accurate data for less than 50% of the days in question) and you should just let it go.

Haha, I know. After reading everyone's responses I feel much less worried about the fluctuations. I've just gotten away with not logging before and haven't noticed any increases greater than a pound (which usually goes away quickly). I couldn't figure out why it had been steadily going up on the days I felt I was being more consistent and I'll admit I wrote this right after getting of the scale due to frustration.

Thanks for taking the time! I appreciate the input.
  • jcast92
    Options
    Thank you for all the different perspectives and bits of advice! I feel much better about the silly 2-lb increase now. I'll be sure to weigh everything today (including bars!) and this weekend too, and see how that goes for me next week!

I really appreciate all the input. It's been too long since I've actively tried to lose weight.

:smile: