Cups of water

Options
This may be a silly question but.....

How does MFP define a cup of water?

I've never drank a lot of water so trying to change that. After exercise I usually drink a pint or two of water - does this count as two cups or more?

When I'm at work I've got a glass I drink from which is far less than a pint...obviously these glasses aren't equal - how are you tracking water?

:embarassed:

Replies

• mamayoga
    mamayoga Posts: 43
    Options
    I think a cup of water is 8oz. That's how I track it.
  • jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    a Cup is a standard unit of measure that is 8oz
  • lausa22
    lausa22 Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    A glass is 8oz, so drink 8 of them a day and that's 64oz, which is 2 litres :)
  • DoctorWhoFan
    Options
    I usually think of a cup as 250ml (I'm from the UK). I'm not sure about what MFP means, but when I drink a pint of water, then I would class it as 2 cups. I'm not very good at getting up to 4, let alone 8!

Hope this helps.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    A cup of water is 8 oz(believe me, when I first started i was thinking like cup as in glass instead of cup as 8 oz).

So I have a water bottle which is 32 oz and that equals 4 cups of water.
  • BJC78
    BJC78 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    I count it as an actual measuring cup...I have no idea if this is right but every glass I drink holds 2 measuring cups full of water so I count it as 2 cups.... I normally end up with 16 for the day :)
  • skinnybearlyndsay
    skinnybearlyndsay Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    A cup is generally 8 ounces. I usually base it on the water bottles with "notches" to show how much water is in there.
  • AndyParkes
    AndyParkes Posts: 35
    Options
    Thanks all - makes perfect sense

DoctorWhoFan - I'm from the UK so 250ml makes more sense to me too - I'm also a Dr Who fan as well :happy:
  • AndyParkes
    Options
    Also means I've actually been drinking more than I've been tracking!
  • vinnysgirl
    vinnysgirl Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I take it as 1 glass = half a pint so 8 glasses a day = 4 pints :smile:

Easier than it sounds, especially when the weather isn't as warm
  • AndyParkes
    Options
    I take it as 1 glass = half a pint so 8 glasses a day = 4 pints :smile:

Easier than it sounds, especially when the weather isn't as warm

Yeah certainly manageable. As i said I drink two pints after exercise so getting a couple more in during the day should be easy enough!
  • vinnysgirl
    vinnysgirl Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I have just worked out, thanks to your post, that the 50cl bottles of water I take to work with me are nearly 1 pint (2 cups). I have only been counting them as 1 cup, so yay, I have been having more water than I thought too :happy:
  • AndyParkes
    Options
    I have just worked out, thanks to your post, that the 50cl bottles of water I take to work with me are nearly 1 pint (2 cups). I have only been counting them as 1 cup, so yay, I have been having more water than I thought too :happy:

Awesome!
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options
    Dont forget, it doesnt have to be actual "water".

Tea, fruit juice, cordial, isotonic drinks, etc, all count. The only thing that doesnt count is coffee and diet coke.