can I try and lose weight while pregnant?

Options
I have not been on in awhile because of personal things going on in my life. Now I'm pregnant again. I am 20 weeks and was wondering if it was ok to try and lose weight? like with walks and stuff. Any advice? I've gained 10 pounds already and I was already overweight. I am 199 and SO SCARED to cross to 200 pounds at my next appointment.

Replies

• DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    Options
    Of course walking is fine. You should really consult a doctor or nutritionist to make sure you are eating well for you and your baby. Maybe try to figure out your maintenance calories and eat those for now.
  • meryl135
    meryl135 Posts: 321 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I stressed a lot about this too when I first found out I was pregnant, about 4 weeks after I had started a strict diet. I am at 8 weeks now and holding steady.

Pre-pregnancy weight vs. Recommended weight gain
    Underweight (BMI < 18.5) --> 28 to 40 lbs. (about 13 to 18 kg)
    Normal weight (BMI 18.5 to 24.9) --> 25 to 35 lbs. (about 11 to 16 kg)
    Overweight (BMI 25 to 29.9) --> 15 to 25 lbs. (about 7 to 11 kg)
    Obese (BMI 30 or more) --> 11 to 20 lbs. (about 5 to 9 kg)

The above are recommendations from the Mayo clinic website. If you were overweight to begin with, it is recommended to try and not gain any weight in first trimester. By the second trimester though, you will start to gain weight, but according to the above data, you seem to be doing ok so far at 10lbs.

Do continue to keep as active as you can: walking, swimming, or walking in the pool are great options. I find for me - since I have a history of PCOS and quite a lot of diabetes in my family history, keeping my carbohydrate intake to 70 to 90g per day (as opposed to more than 100g, which is the normal recommendation), helps me to feel better. I put more emphasis on protein and healthy fats, which are really important for the developing baby's nervous system.

At the end of the day - don't stress too much! Every woman's body reacts a bit differently to pregnancy.
  • MotivatedMother2015
    MotivatedMother2015 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I was not stressing to much at first and was just trying to eat normal amounts of good foods and take my kids on walks to the park but the doctor told me at my last appointment that I was on the high end of what I should have gained. So I must be doing something wrong. lol maybe I will start taking more walks. =\ I wish I could use my elliptical but I dunno if its safe.
  • marm1962
    marm1962 Posts: 950 Member
    Options
    We used to be told that if you were doing some sort of activity before you gotvpregnant that it was okay to continue that activity....HOWEVER, Istress that you consult your doctor first as he/she knows your health better than we do
  • MissusMoon
    MissusMoon Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    Please don't take medical advice from the internet when you have the well being of a child growing inside you at stake. Take it from your OBGYN. It might be safe and recommended for some, not at all for others.

• QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    Generally, dieting is definitely not recommended while you are pregnant. Please talk to your doctor. They may be able to put you on a good nutrition plan.

Congratulations by the way!!