Gained weight

Options
I have been eating between 1200-1320 calories and I gained close to two pounds. I've weighed every thing that touches my lips. What ever is on my diary is what I consumed. I have not over ate. I have accurately weighed my food on my digital scale. So defeating. I feel like I'll never get under 200lbs ever.

Replies

• WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    Have you added new exercises? New exercises can cause water weight gain due to muscles needing extra resources to repair themselves.
  • st476
    st476 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Are you on your period? Do you weigh everything you eat? Or did you eat more sodium than usual? I don't think you should worry anyways, it's definitely not fat gain (just water weight) if you've been eating 1200-1320 calories. Just give it a few more days! :smile:
  • Day_knee
    Day_knee Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I know the feeling...weighing EVERYTHING I eat..only for me, I am stuck at 216/217 for the most part. I have lost 19 pounds..but no matter what I do I cannot get out of this 216/217 range. It's been 5 weeks of up and down the same damn pound! So frustrating. I wish I had advice for you. I just keep doing what I have been doing and eating what I have been eating and hoping my body decides to not be a jerk and start losing again. /sighs
  • Mommabeeto5
    Mommabeeto5 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    How much water are you drinking? If you are close to menstruating that can cause it!
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,222 Member
    Options
    If you are near your period or near your ovulation that is why you gained it. It is water weight and it will be gone in a few days. If you're doing everything right as you say there is nothing to worry about. It will work.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    xtina315 wrote: »
    I have been eating between 1200-1320 calories and I gained close to two pounds. I've weighed every thing that touches my lips. What ever is on my diary is what I consumed. I have not over ate. I have accurately weighed my food on my digital scale. So defeating. I feel like I'll never get under 200lbs ever.

Are you ensuring that you are choosing correct entries? I have found where some of the database entries in grams are less than the USDA and packages.

Do you also log all condiments and calorie beverages?

What about exercise calories? Do you eat those back? If so, where do you get those burn counts from? Exercise machines, iphone apps and internet sources all render way overestimated calorie burns. An example from my own experience: for a 45 minute run the other day, the treadmill rendered over 500 calories, but my heart rate monitor was was just about 325. That's a 200 calorie difference, which can kill a deficit pretty quickly.

Also, try to remember that weight naturally fluctuates and weight loss is not linear. You will gain some weeks, loose some weeks, and also have whooshes, which is where weight seems to drop off overnight. There are all kinds of factors that come into play with weight fluctuation.
  • silvilunazul
    silvilunazul Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Sudden gains are usually water weight. The body can retain water for a long time, masking weight loss. If you are totally certain that you've logged accurately and that you are creating a significant caloric deficit, then water retention is the most likely cause of the apparent gain, so watch your sodium, drink your water and be patient.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    All the above and your daily sodium intake is all over. If you had a late day salty snack, that can easily add 1 lb of water for the next day's weighing. Don't stress about the one days. Watch your longer term trend. How's your 7-day trend? Your 30-day trend? If you are accurately logging, and it does look pretty good, you'll be able to understand what your food and your activity is doing to affect your scale weight. And if you are in a calorie deficit, you will get below 200 lb . Way below 200 lb.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    Weight fluctuations are normal. My scale goes up 8 lbs sometimes! Things like hormones, salt intake , and so on can make your scale go up!
  • xtina315
    xtina315 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »

Are you ensuring that you are choosing correct entries? I have found where some of the database entries in grams are less than the USDA and packages.

Do you also log all condiments and calorie beverages?

What about exercise calories? Do you eat those back? If so, where do you get those burn counts from? Exercise machines, iphone apps and internet sources all render way overestimated calorie burns. An example from my own experience: for a 45 minute run the other day, the treadmill rendered over 500 calories, but my heart rate monitor was was just about 325. That's a 200 calorie difference, which can kill a deficit pretty quickly.

Also, try to remember that weight naturally fluctuates and weight loss is not linear. You will gain some weeks, loose some weeks, and also have whooshes, which is where weight seems to drop off overnight. There are all kinds of factors that come into play with weight fluctuation.

I look up everything on the usda website, on packages of food I go by the grams now versus the actual serving size because sometimes the serving size is too much. I log whatever touches my lips, gum, ketchup etc. I go for walks, and don't eat any calories back. Tuesday I weighed 200.4, now today even after going to the bathroom I weigh 202.5, and weighed again this morning and it was the same.
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,287 Member
    Options
    are you eating frozen meals? Those are packed with sodium.. i love them for taste and a quick meal but the salt will make you gain… also are you drinking a gallon of water a day? That would help too.
  • xtina315
    Options
    are you eating frozen meals? Those are packed with sodium.. i love them for taste and a quick meal but the salt will make you gain… also are you drinking a gallon of water a day? That would help too.

No frozen meals. I haven't been drinking as much as I usually do. So maybe I am retaining water. I know it can't be fat because I'm not eating close to making me gain 2 lbs a week. I think I'll take a break from the scales.
  • SoozeE512
    SoozeE512 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    From looking at your diary for the past week, you're not reaching your calorie goals. You say you're consuming 1200-1350 from logging meticulously, but you only reached those NET amounts two days of the week. Also, you're consuming very little protein (ranging anywhere from 15-50 g short of goal each day) so you're depriving your body of a key macronutrient.

Here are your NET calorie amounts for the past week: 1,183 / 643 / 1224 / 1,009 / 1,012 / 950 / 1434

Your goal on your diary is set to 1320, you should be aiming to reach that goal! This number is already a big reduction from what a 200 lb body would expect to get (likely around 2000 calories, just a guess). So there's no reason to reduce your calories beyond what your goal is set to. It's more important that you get your body the nutrients it needs.

I'll leave these links here for more information:

shape.com/blogs/weight-loss-coach/why-undereating-works-against-you

stack.com/a/undereating

• vixtris
    vixtris Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    It is very possible you are just retaining water. Try drinking more water and eating less sodium over the next few days.
  • xtina315
    Options
    SoozeE512 wrote: »
    From looking at your diary for the past week, you're not reaching your calorie goals. You say you're consuming 1200-1350 from logging meticulously, but you only reached those NET amounts two days of the week. Also, you're consuming very little protein (ranging anywhere from 15-50 g short of goal each day) so you're depriving your body of a key macronutrient.

Here are your NET calorie amounts for the past week: 1,183 / 643 / 1224 / 1,009 / 1,012 / 950 / 1434

Your goal on your diary is set to 1320, you should be aiming to reach that goal! This number is already a big reduction from what a 200 lb body would expect to get (likely around 2000 calories, just a guess). So there's no reason to reduce your calories beyond what your goal is set to. It's more important that you get your body the nutrients it needs.

stack.com/a/undereating

Oh yes. I know I've been eating too little this past week, I've had a horrible stomach ache. So haven't ate much
  • ammo7
    ammo7 Posts: 188 Member
    Options

How long have you been weighing everything you eat? Weight loss takes consistency and patience, you will lose the weight if you stick with it.

From looking at your diary, I can see many instances from a week ago where it looks like you have not weighed food at all (e.g. logging "1/2 a pizza" "1/2 tablespoon of peanut butter", "5 cups" of popcorn, "1 cookie", etc.)

Consistency is key. Stick to it, long-term. You'll lose the weight :)
  • SoozeE512
    SoozeE512 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    SoozeE512 wrote: »

stack.com/a/undereating

Oh yes. I know I've been eating too little this past week, I've had a horrible stomach ache. So haven't ate much

I went further back in your diary and checked a few weeks and found that you were drastically under-eating calories and protein then too. There was also about a week and a half where you didn't log at all.

I'm sorry that you've been having stomach issues, but that is probably a sign that there are bigger issues at play here. I would definitely advise you to see a doctor to get your nutrition straightened out before long-term damage is done.
  • Rocknut53
    Rocknut53 Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    Your ticker says you have lost 19 pounds. Is this since you joined MFP in February? That is a decent rate of loss so having a variation of 2 pounds shouldn't derail you. Keep plugging away using the advice of those that have already commented, especially SLLRunner.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    Weight fluctuations are normal, water weight can cause the scale to go up or down as much as 5-10 lbs. Keep your eyes on the trend over the long term.