Always Hungry? Diannethegeek's Tips for Hunger

Options
Orphia
Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
This post is so good it deserves its own thread:
These are my really general tips for hunger:

1. Make sure that your calorie goals are actually set appropriately. Don't skip this step. A lot of people set goals that are too aggressive and then wonder why they're having a hard time. http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/819055/setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets

2. Look for foods higher in protein, fat, and fiber. These help us stay full and more satisfied longer. If you're using MFP's default settings, try to consider protein, fat, and fiber as minimums to reach every day rather than maximums to stay below.

3. Drink plenty of fluids. Some people really do confuse thirst and hunger.

4. Get plenty of rest. This includes sleeping enough and taking rest days from the exercise. Sometimes our bodies look for food when they're exhausted.

5. Play around with your meal timings. Some people do really well on 5-6 small meals a day and others feel like they want to gnaw their own arm off eating like that. Skipping breakfast, eating breakfast, 16:8 fasting, 6 small meals, 3 larger meals, snacks, no snacks, meal timing won't make a big difference to your weight loss, but it may help your hunger levels, mood, concentration, gym performance, etc. throughout the day. Don't be afraid to try a different way and see if it helps.

6. Wait it out. If you know you're eating enough and the other steps above aren't helping, you may just have to wait it out. Our bodies send out hunger signals partially out of habit. If you eat at a certain time every day your body will start to get hungry at that time. The good news is that these signals can be retrained to stop telling you to be hungry all the time. The bad news is that you may just have to be hungry for a little bit while that happens.

7. I also think it's important to remember that there's a habitual component to hunger. This goes along with point #6, but if you eat because you're bored or you're used to eating in front of the TV or in the car or whatever it is, then you can replace those habits with others that are better for you. Things like keeping water on hand to sip instead of snacking or picking up hobbies that keep your hands busy or that get you out of the house more can help out a little while you're retraining your hunger cues. You might need to pay attention to why you're eating/hungry or what you're feeling when you eat and try to replace food with other things, but it can be really beneficial over time.

@diannethegeek

Replies

• snikkins
    snikkins Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    +1
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Look for foods higher in protein, fat, and fiber

ie lower in digestible carbohydrate.

+1
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    Great post, thanks for sharing Orphia.
  • samchez0
    samchez0 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    Great post. I've been trying to make better decisions for the past couple weeks and noticed I've been getting hungry right after eating! Like hunger pangs and all. After I read your tip about making sure your drinking enough it kind of clicked for me that this typically happens on weekends when I'm not drinking as much water.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting this @Orphia. Always hope the things I've learned here can help others.
  • Orphia
    Options
    Thanks for posting this @Orphia. Always hope the things I've learned here can help others.

It is always a pleasure to share practical and rational posts such as yours, dear @diannethegeek

Posts like yours and the List of Helpful Posts have helped me to lose 29 kg since April without stress or deprivation.
  • Orphia
    Options
    Bumping this for the :heart: of this post by @diannethegeek
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,485 Member
    Options
    Hahaha @orphia. I panicked when I saw that you lost 29kg in 7-8 weeks.
    Then I saw the date, whew, 7-8 months. Well done. :)

Cheers, h.
  • DeannaKarla
    DeannaKarla Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Very helpful. I'm suffering from the hunger feeling during the night. Which wakes me up.
    Think I'm going to start taking some water to bed with me to sip if this happens. X
  • ladyreva78
    ladyreva78 Posts: 4,080 Member
    Options
    This is by far some of the best advice I read (and received in general). It thanks for sharing in a way I can bookmark it for easy finding.

Sometimes you do need to reread things to remind you of reality :smile:
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Good post!
  • HippySkoppy
    HippySkoppy Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    Awesome posting <3
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    This is great stuff! Posts like this are why I love MFP!
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options
    Great post
  • Zella_11
    Zella_11 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Great advice--thank you! :)
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Orphia wrote: »
    Bumping this for the :heart: of this post by @diannethegeek

Thanks @Orphia! I had forgotten this post exists :drinker:
  • jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    Great practical advice as always @diannethegeek! This needs to be added to the list of helpful posts.