Need recommendations for modest beginners strength training workout

Options
kendahlj
kendahlj Posts: 243 Member
I haven't lifted weights in a long time and am looking for something moderate to do two or three times a week. I don't have a lot of time...20 minutes or so following my cardio workout. I'm on a calorie deficit to try to lose weight...I'm not trying to gain bulk. I just want to build a little muscle to help improve my strength and conditioning. I have read all the comments about how you can't build muscle on a calorie deficit...that's fine. I really just want to know the best three or four things I can do in the gym a few times a week to improve my muscular strength a little. (I've been all over the internet and it's more confusing than helpful.)

Replies

• kendahlj
    Options
    I found this thread...I'm going to check out some of the suggestions

community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1

• DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    I do 5 main lifts, 5 sets of 5 reps each: bench, squat, overhead press, row, and deadlift. Yeah, and that thread is pretty good, gives you lots of options to check out.
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    kendahlj wrote: »
    I have read all the comments about how you can't build muscle on a calorie deficit...that's fine.

Ignore those comments. If you are just starting out that "rule" won't apply. That link above contains a few programs. The important thing is to just pick one and stick with it. Easier said than done, I'll admit.
  • shagerty777
    shagerty777 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Check out Stronglifts 5x5. He has a great app too. If I was time limited I'd cut back the cardio and hit the lifts instead. I can do the work in about 50 minutes or so. Another good starter program is Allpro's Simple Beginners Program from bodybuilding dot com. It's what I started out with and gives a good foundation. It is also a 50-60 minute program. Both are only 3 days a week though so you can do cardio on the off days too.
  • VisofSer
    VisofSer Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    The usual suspects are Stronglifts 5x5 or Starting Strength. Both will get the job done. Do the cardio after the weights. If you want a short workout, it should be intense. If you want 4 exercises, deadlift, squat, military/overhead press, bench press. Alternate which ones you do due to overlap. Eg. Week 1 Monday - Deadlift & Overhead Press Week 2 Monday - Squat & Bench. There are better ways to lay it out and tools such as this program picker rohitnair.net/pp/ as well as the good thread you already found.

Fix your mindset about gaining bulk. At best in your first year of focused, serious resistance training in a surplus you'll add an average of 3lbs a month. It takes a long time and a lot of hard work to bulk up in a way that is effective and isn't 50/50 fat/muscle. The first year(approximately) is the golden one where you can often lose fat and add muscle but don't bet on it. Especially with a reduced focus, the resistance training is more likely to accelerate your fat loss and retain muscle mass which sounds to be what you want.
  • kendahlj
    Options
    Thanks for the responses. I did Row today and it's all I had time for. I think I'll lift first, as suggested.
  • STEVE142142
    STEVE142142 Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    Tony Horton has a great program for people with an exercise that all we have taken a break for a while. It's callef 10 minute trainer.
    DVD set is a good intro package