Logging apprehension.

Options
hollyrayburn
hollyrayburn Posts: 905 Member
edited June 2016 in Food and Nutrition
Okay, might be a dumb question but here goes. Lemme set the scene.

One of my favorite meals is Greek yogurt with honey and berries.

I'll place my container on the scale, tare it, weigh out my yogurt. I then tare again and squirt my honey on the yogurt, to a serving, which is 60 grams.

But yall, it looks like a LOT of honey. Is it possible the scale isn't "catching" all the volume, since it's going on top of my yogurt? I want to make sure this is correct, as honey is so calorie dense.

Should I weigh the honey separately then add to my yogurt? I'd hate to know I've been eating 40, 50, 100 calories more than I planned!

TIA!

Replies

• silvilunazul
    silvilunazul Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    60 grams of honey sounds like a huge ginormous amount. Did you mean 6 grams? If you have an OK digital scale the tare function will work fine and it will measure to the gram.
  • MissusMoon
    MissusMoon Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    Your scale should be catching it just fine. The mental picture I'm getting definitely covers 60 grams being a lot of honey.
  • hollyrayburn
    Options
    Ugh, I meant 21 grams, which is 60 CALORIES lol. Excuse the moment of dyslexia. :)

• bellabonbons
    bellabonbons Posts: 705 Member
    Options
    Not once have I ever weighed food when dieting. If I did, there would be no way I could diet, dislike the monotony. Far too cumbersome. I love my fitness pal. I have lost 8 pounds. 26 more and I will be at my goal.
  • Mentiri
    Mentiri Posts: 1,356 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    There are several great nutrition fact websites - Wolfram, http://nutritiondata.self.com and others. You can check the facts on almost any food and play around with serving size, too. Honey is just over 3 calories per gram (304 calories/100g.), so you are using about 180 calories of honey on your yogurt. Is that what you figured?

And like I tell my 2nd graders, there are no dumb questions! Weighing everything like that is a great step to success. :)
  • hollyrayburn
    Options
    Mentiri wrote: »
    There are several great nutrition fact websites - Wolfram, http://nutritiondata.self.com and others. You can check the facts on almost any food and play around with serving size, too. Honey is just over 3 calories per gram (304 calories/100g.), so you are using about 180 calories of honey on your yogurt. Is that what you figured?

Lol, I mentioned earlier that I meant 21 grams, which is about 60 calories. My brain got flipped flopped. ;)

I don't think even my honey loving *kitten* could handle that much honey at once!
  • hollyrayburn
    Options
    MissusMoon wrote: »
    Your scale should be catching it just fine. The mental picture I'm getting definitely covers 60 grams being a lot of honey.

Glad it should be doing okay. Mine is a Walmart one, about 15 bucks paid. I plan on upgrading to a larger one -- after I gent done hosting a gender reveal shower, which is costing me a pretty Penny. Do you have any recommendations on a decent one, 40 bucks or under?
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Honey should be fine. The only time I have had an issue is with chia seeds in a smoothie blender. They are so light it just can't figure it out. Now I tare the scoop and weight them in the scoop before adding. But honey I have never had an issue.
  • typeitdaily
    typeitdaily Posts: 3,323 Member
    Options
    MissusMoon wrote: »
    Not once have I ever weighed food when dieting. If I did, there would be no way I could diet, dislike the monotony. Far too cumbersome. I love my fitness pal. I have lost 8 pounds. 26 more and I will be at my goal.

I'm glad you're losing weight without it. Most of us don't view what we're doing as dieting, and our food scales gives us results on our bathroom scales.

I find nothing monotonous about weighing my food. My scale is next to my stove and it's a simple habit.

My husband even weighs my food when he cooks! Results on the scale are worth it!
  • genpopadopolous
    genpopadopolous Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    You could just do half a serving!
  • tomatosoup3
    tomatosoup3 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    um, i don't think most people in this thread have actually read your question.

my answer is: your scale is "catching" the honey. if you stood on a scale and then held a ten pound brick, the scale would read 10 pounds more, even though 10 pounds is only a small fraction of your weight, and the brick is "on top" of you. there's just no hiding weight.
  • hollyrayburn
    Options
    um, i don't think most people in this thread have actually read your question.

my answer is: your scale is "catching" the honey. if you stood on a scale and then held a ten pound brick, the scale would read 10 pounds more, even though 10 pounds is only a small fraction of your weight, and the brick is "on top" of you. there's just no hiding weight.

Yeah, some didn't get it. Lol. I am, as earlier said, wanting to buy a larger one in the future, but I'm satisfied knowing mine works right now.
  • jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    You could try weighing the bottle before and after and see if the difference matches up with what it weighs when you put it on your yogurt.
  • BZAH10
    BZAH10 Posts: 5,709 Member
    Options
    jkal1979 wrote: »
    You could try weighing the bottle before and after and see if the difference matches up with what it weighs when you put it on your yogurt.

Yes, this. This would be a good way to test your current scale.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Yeah a serving of honey is huge!